• Please log in to reply
95 replies to this topic

travelhouse

travelhouse

AE Winner

• Veteran
  • 2,066 posts
  • WLM ID:travelhouse007@gmail.com

i am not the low scum that you think i am. i am one of the most honest players in the game. im just hoarding some gates at my hub. sorry if that makes YOU think i am a horrible person:p

Well you can LOL all you like, but in the eyes of others you are not very far from the gutter of the LHR & LGW tarmack, not that I care, others will make their own minds up.:thumbdown:

oubobcat

oubobcat

• 236 posts
  • AIM Screen Name:parsonparsons
oh and just for your viewing pleasure the winner of last game was hoarding many many gates at mco flying to tpa a bunch of times a day...not to drag anyone through the mud but its true...
vice president and director of public relations for ACE alliance.

cleveland rocks! pittsburgh sucks! and i wont even get into that other city in that state over there near washington DC that stole my team. i also dont give a damn for the whole state of michigan cause im from ohio but thats beside the point!

Kcrwflyer

Kcrwflyer

Fly Colgan

• 94 posts
  • WLM ID:ajgilmer@charter.net
  • AIM Screen Name:N913VJ
  • Yahoo ID:Ajgilmer

Take a look at Colgan Air with 56 IAH gates and 30+ HOU. Somebody is doing some serious hoarding. At least we know his expansion will be held back by all of the losses he will incur from gate hogging.

I didn't do this last round at all. I wasnt going to do it this round either, but when I tried to start a hub in a different city, I looked up one day and it had gone from 41 to 0 gates.

I didnt want my growth to be suddenly halted again, so I bought up a bunch of gates at one airport.

What of all the other airports with no available gates? Who bought all of them up?
CEO

Colgan Air (ID #13318)

LOT 737-300

LOT 737-300

• 274 posts
  • WLM ID:kw5024@cs.com
  • AIM Screen Name:kw5024
  • Yahoo ID:lot767300
How is it now that AFTER I accuse those who cowardly hog gates (and for reasons that Colgan showed) of having not growing the balls to admit and justify what they're doing that everyone who was hogging gates is starting to cough up? Were they not aware of the talk going on about them here?

Anyways, to the Colgan Air guy. Tough crap! I have to deal with not having to expand out of hte city I want to, but I have a backup plan to do so. That way, I wouldn't have to rant on and on about why everyone is calling me a low life because I'm excessivly hogging gates. Its just stupid and low life behavior on the part of the hogger. Also tough crap, I want a hub too, but I can't get one because a few in the top 50 are hogging all the gates needlessly, thus halting my planned expansions.

travelhouse

travelhouse

AE Winner

• Veteran
  • 2,066 posts

Were they not aware of the talk going on about them here?

Oh they read, but they do not jump to attention till you touch their GUILT side of the mind.

Having for many rounds called for some action from the developers on this issue of gates, the game is getting (Gateless) quicker in each round.

Sure, some would say - (This is Smart Play) to take all gates so I get to keep my location and build up without any other player annoying me. But what about other players (Your Fellow Men and Women & Children) do not they get a chance to play too.

Are you all just a pack of hungry wolves that have not had a feed in the past 12-months and want to consume all you see.

TW said in a post last August that he would ACT to stop this kind of play, well the sooner the better.

Timsher

Timsher

Just a ling

• 573 posts
  • WLM ID:Timsher@gmail.com
  • Yahoo ID:Timsher19

How is it now that AFTER I accuse those who cowardly hog gates

I'm trying not to get involved in this due to conflicting interest I have in this topic (CBA is my old roomate @ OU), but CBA admitted to it yesterday in the DOP thread of mine.

Regardless of what the Admins do to curb this, ACE members will not be taking part of this next round as I am going to add a ban to this practice to our alliance rule change ballot coming up in a couple weeks. I expect most will agree that this is for the best for the game and our alliance, and it will pass easily.

I would like to see other alliances in the game take similar steps to help curb this problem, but I realize that there are many who are unwilling or unable to do this.
Posted Image

LOT 737-300

LOT 737-300

• 274 posts
Well, I did hear that slowly, possibly later this round that the new LF script would be put in. So maybe there will be a part of the script that will stop the hoggers. Either that, or instructions to the cheat police to stop the hoggers who try to limit competition.

Regardless of what the Admins do to curb this, ACE members will not be taking part of this next round as I am going to add a ban to this practice to our alliance rule change ballot coming up in a couple weeks. I expect most will agree that this is for the best of the game and it will pass easily.

Thats a great idea, I should go and see what my alliance members think about that too. I'm sure that it would pass with flying colors.

oubobcat

oubobcat

• 236 posts
oh yeah fogot i did that lol. see i did come out before! but i will abide by the rules of the alliance and will vote yes for it.

cleveland rocks! pittsburgh sucks! and i wont even get into that other city in that state over there near washington DC that stole my team. i also dont give a damn for the whole state of michigan cause im from ohio but thats beside the point!

BarbulaM1

BarbulaM1

• 226 posts
  • WLM ID:BarbulaM1@msn.com
  • AIM Screen Name:BarbulaM1
I think I have always found you shady ..but if you are willing to sell an LHR gate to me, I can change that! :P
Posted ImagePosted Image
Discover The West, Go Beyond The West, Airways International
COAI Holding Group International - Airways International
Proudly serving the Greak Lakes region for over 15 years.

Visit: Simtropolis.com | Simvision.net (of course look for me)

oubobcat

oubobcat

• 236 posts

I think I have always found you shady ..but if you are willing to sell an LHR gate to me, I can change that! :P

ok well why am i shady? i dont really see it. i am honest and tell you guys what i do if it is the slightest bit in the 'gray' area. but yeah name your price.

Kcrwflyer

Kcrwflyer

Fly Colgan

• 94 posts

How is it now that AFTER I accuse those who cowardly hog gates (and for reasons that Colgan showed) of having not growing the balls to admit and justify what they're doing that everyone who was hogging gates is starting to cough up? Were they not aware of the talk going on about them here?

Anyways, to the Colgan Air guy. Tough crap! I have to deal with not having to expand out of hte city I want to, but I have a backup plan to do so. That way, I wouldn't have to rant on and on about why everyone is calling me a low life because I'm excessivly hogging gates. Its just stupid and low life behavior on the part of the hogger. Also tough crap, I want a hub too, but I can't get one because a few in the top 50 are hogging all the gates needlessly, thus halting my planned expansions.

I didnt know that I was being talked about here untill CBA told me. I've got better things to do than watch this forum all day to see if someone mentions my name. Its a game man.... To go around calling people low life and coward is unnecessary. I took some gates because I didnt want to get screwed again and if it were a rule that you couldnt do it I would have never had to switch cities and see a need to buy the gates in the first place.

Actions do speak louder than words, but I dont agree with gate hogging as a strategy, however, I saw it as the best way to survive.
CEO

Colgan Air (ID #13318)

caro

caro

• 43 posts
Other top players should make their voices heard too.

http://sim.airlineem...1=FCO&city2=NAP

It's the way to play. Maybe not the right way, but in order to secure a hub, shut down competition or scare newcomers, it's the only way. For the time being.

As an ACE member, if Timsher goes for a ban on gate hoarding, I'm in.

John.

travelhouse

travelhouse

AE Winner

• Veteran
  • 2,066 posts

Other top players should make their voices heard too.

http://sim.airlineem...1=FCO&city2=NAP

It's the way to play. Maybe not the right way, but in order to secure a hub, shut down competition or scare newcomers, it's the only way. For the time being.

As an ACE member, if Timsher goes for a ban on gate hoarding, I'm in.

John.

Not often I want to Belt another player over the head to wake them up, but take another look at the graph you just posted.

This is not gate hogging - It is called using up spare hours on aircraft.

Single routes for the last 6 routes is just making sure all hours are used.

LOT 737-300

LOT 737-300

• 274 posts

I didnt know that I was being talked about here untill CBA told me. I've got better things to do than watch this forum all day to see if someone mentions my name. Its a game man.... To go around calling people low life and coward is unnecessary. I took some gates because I didnt want to get screwed again and if it were a rule that you couldnt do it I would have never had to switch cities and see a need to buy the gates in the first place.

Actions do speak louder than words, but I dont agree with gate hogging as a strategy, however, I saw it as the best way to survive.

:mad: Yeah, ok. And you don't have to go around the forum ALL DAY. At least once a day will do. I'm sure you've been here long enough to understand that gate hoggers are not looked upon very nicely. And hearing that at least 4 or 5 gate hogging arn't replying (and I know most of them check the forums), I know that they have no good excuse to defend their actions. Don't wanna get screwed again? Aww, sorry but you just screwed other people (at least 25 other people) out of a expansion. If you got better things to do, then please, get rid of all your planes and return all of your gates and declair bankrupsy and then do those better things. As for gate hogging part. I don't agree with you saying you don't agree with it as a stragety. I don't gate hog and I'm doing quite fine. Also there are a few respectable veterens (such as Maestro 69 (sorry if I mispelt it)) that don't gate hog themselves and are in the top 10. You don't need to take every gate in the game to survive.

caro

caro

• 43 posts

but take another look at the graph you just posted.

This is not gate hogging - It is called using up spare hours on aircraft.

Travelhouse,

next time I'll take a screenshot. First 6 routes were Bees @ 15 freqs each. Oddly enough, Limbo has only used 84% of his 45 gates in Rome, while he uses 31% of the 14 gates he holds in Naples.

Numbers do speak sometimes.

John.

Kcrwflyer

Kcrwflyer

Fly Colgan

• 94 posts

:mad: Yeah, ok. And you don't have to go around the forum ALL DAY. At least once a day will do. I'm sure you've been here long enough to understand that gate hoggers are not looked upon very nicely. And hearing that at least 4 or 5 gate hogging arn't replying (and I know most of them check the forums), I know that they have no good excuse to defend their actions. Don't wanna get screwed again? Aww, sorry but you just screwed other people (at least 25 other people) out of a expansion. If you got better things to do, then please, get rid of all your planes and return all of your gates and declair bankrupsy and then do those better things. As for gate hogging part. I don't agree with you saying you don't agree with it as a stragety. I don't gate hog and I'm doing quite fine. Also there are a few respectable veterens (such as Maestro 69 (sorry if I mispelt it)) that don't gate hog themselves and are in the top 10. You don't need to take every gate in the game to survive.

I played the last 3/4 of last round I never knew there was a general opinion about those that take gates. I do now :P

I dont and didnt take every gate in the game, thats an extreme exaggeration.

I didnt say gate hogging was the best way to do things. Its just something I did to prevent having to move around so much.
CEO

Colgan Air (ID #13318)

LOT 737-300

LOT 737-300

• 274 posts

I played the last 3/4 of last round I never knew there was a general opinion about those that take gates. I do now :P

I dont and didnt take every gate in the game, thats an extreme exaggeration.

I didnt say gate hogging was the best way to do things. Its just something I did to prevent having to move around so much.

Well, moving around isn't so bad in my opinion. I don't know why, but I'm one who perfers the point to point system rather than the hub and spoke system (more safe in my opinion). But thats something we'll have to save for another time for discussion.

Anyways, moving around isn't so bad. When most of the gates at MCO were gone and the routes trashed from gate hoggers (I don't know how you can make a good DOP with 50 dollar fares.) I just spread out my operations. Also, once I got my first ATR I started to move out from the bottom 1000s to the 700s then to the middle 400s in my ranking (and this happened between years 8 to 11.) I have all of my maps from each expansion saved, so you can see each part of my airline's transformation. As for taking every gate in the game, it wasn't aimed directly at you but rather all that hog the gates.

Jaime

Jaime

• 504 posts

Travelhouse,

next time I'll take a screenshot. First 6 routes were Bees @ 15 freqs each. Oddly enough, Limbo has only used 84% of his 45 gates in Rome, while he uses 31% of the 14 gates he holds in Naples.

Numbers do speak sometimes.

John.

Well Travelhouse I must agree with John. That the first one is hogging. And if he states he saw more of them at 15 freqs each, I believe him, even more with the utilization of the gates John has provided us.
Posted Image

And the second one is using up free hours on aircraft, but also holding gates. I think that when you place a second aircraft in a route you are already flying you are adding competition, as the game treats your second aircraft as competition, and not as adding frequencies. So at the end if you want to fly a route multiple frecuencies it should be better to place them all in the same aircraft, instead of a frequency by aircraft. But I could be wrong here, talking from what I have experienced.
Posted Image

EDIT: Pics resized to make the post more friendly to those with lower speed connections.
Jaime | The Fruit Stand

Posted Image

airline logo courtesy of sam693

Glennos

Glennos

toowit towoo

• Veteran
  • 1,683 posts
  • WLM ID:badtothebone99@gmail.com
Discussions like this just make me laugh. It should not be up to players themselves to devise rules for playing, especially in a sim. The creators of the sim should program the sim so that certain situations are not possible.

This can be said of the 50% / 200% aircraft sale algorithm and also the possibility to have multiple flights on the same route.

Sure you can give idea's to the makers of the game but to start making "Alliance" rules about not doing this and not doing that is not the way to fix the issue. What do you think will happen then? Airlines that are not in an alliance and do not have to follow those"rules" can still go and hog the gates!

The issue needs to be fixed at the source, in the code itself!

Something like this needs to go in the Suggestion Forum and then let the creators of the game react accordingly.

And I would just like to add that in real life slots are "hogged" by other larger airlines protecting their turf, i'm not saying it right or correct but it does happen.

There are many good things about this sim and many bad things, it's Beta.

As for the example here below, You call that Gate hogging? I see 1 beech doing 15 freq = 3 gates and the rest using up available hours, if it's not making a profit for him then that is his problem not yours!
Posted Image

caro

caro

• 43 posts

As for the example here below, You call that Gate hogging? I see 1 beech doing 15 freq = 3 gates and the rest using up available hours, if it's not making a profit for him then that is his problem not yours!

You need to read to whole reply, Glenn. Care to explain this?

"Limbo has only used 84% of his 45 gates in Rome, while he uses 31% of the 14 gates he holds in Naples."

That's 8 unused gates in Rome and 9 unused gates in Naples - out of 14. He has 4 Beeches with a daily utilization of 16.75 hours. Unused gates, spare hours on Bees... why not combine the two?

But that's not to you to explain - Limbo should do it.

John.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users