Photo

Gate hogging at an all new level

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
95 replies to this topic

galapagapop

galapagapop

• 602 posts
But certain airports get restricted in terminal building, LGA, SAN, I had 29 gates once at SAN and there was ZERO way of me building a terminal (which I wanted to do if it gave me more gates), but capping me at 25 would not have helped. 25 seems fair by with the size you need at some airports 25 just isn't enough. And sorry for those who also hate it, as disgusting as it is. THis is a real life occurance. LAX? UAL's terminal is a ghosttown mid-day, but WN's is busting at the seams. LAX wanted to shift gates around to let WN and AS expand, but UAL was hogging them plain and simple. Terminal B at DEN? UAL purposely paid 4 mil for each gate just to keep F9 away. It's a fact of the industry, you just can't always enter a market overnight.
CEO of:
Posted Image

travelhouse

travelhouse

AE Winner

• Veteran
  • 2,066 posts
  • WLM ID:travelhouse007@gmail.com
But if Miller does release the Upper Stops on locations that are restricted now so you can build a terminal, then there should not be a problem.

Banana - The real position I would like to see kept, but you have to also look at the saturation in this game.

What does Miller and TW do?

Do they Cap the amount of players that can play in a round to ease the flood of gate hoggers and other factors.

Do they opt for a re-vamp of the gate system and make it you lease a departure gate and landing gate with NO upper limit / Caps.

or some other factor, either way you have to keep the game interesting or players will not play. The format that AE is run right now (Apart from a few cheaters) 99.9% of players past and present will agree that AE is one of the best sims for airlines around.

LOT 737-300

LOT 737-300

• 274 posts
  • WLM ID:kw5024@cs.com
  • AIM Screen Name:kw5024
  • Yahoo ID:lot767300

But certain airports get restricted in terminal building, LGA, SAN, I had 29 gates once at SAN and there was ZERO way of me building a terminal (which I wanted to do if it gave me more gates), but capping me at 25 would not have helped. 25 seems fair by with the size you need at some airports 25 just isn't enough. And sorry for those who also hate it, as disgusting as it is. THis is a real life occurance. LAX? UAL's terminal is a ghosttown mid-day, but WN's is busting at the seams. LAX wanted to shift gates around to let WN and AS expand, but UAL was hogging them plain and simple. Terminal B at DEN? UAL purposely paid 4 mil for each gate just to keep F9 away. It's a fact of the industry, you just can't always enter a market overnight.

And airports taking away gates to airlines that are just taking up space is a common occurance too. I think this happened at LHR a few times. Also, most of those gates are not owned in the game, they are leased.

galapagapop

galapagapop

• 602 posts

And airports taking away gates to airlines that are just taking up space is a common occurance too. I think this happened at LHR a few times. Also, most of those gates are not owned in the game, they are leased.

Not really, as the gates are almost always in longterm leases. 10 to 25 years, just as these gates are. They are used until returned or foreited (AE more strict than real life about no use).
CEO of:
Posted Image

galapagapop

galapagapop

• 602 posts

But if Miller does release the Upper Stops on locations that are restricted now so you can build a terminal, then there should not be a problem.

Banana - The real position I would like to see kept, but you have to also look at the saturation in this game.

What does Miller and TW do?

Do they Cap the amount of players that can play in a round to ease the flood of gate hoggers and other factors.

Do they opt for a re-vamp of the gate system and make it you lease a departure gate and landing gate with NO upper limit / Caps.

or some other factor, either way you have to keep the game interesting or players will not play. The format that AE is run right now (Apart from a few cheaters) 99.9% of players past and present will agree that AE is one of the best sims for airlines around.

Personally I'm big on slots. But gates also work out well, but I'd like to see better use in turn around times and in overall slots, WN get 8 turns min on their gates, ACA when operating got around 10-14 on certain gates with their regional jets. There is a happy medium that is needed. But capping gates overall is a big no no in my opinion
CEO of:
Posted Image

BarbulaM1

BarbulaM1

• 226 posts
  • WLM ID:BarbulaM1@msn.com
  • AIM Screen Name:BarbulaM1
United is being forced to give up their Concourse A gates to Frontier, 8 gates are being built on Concourse C for open gates, while United is building their double loading bridge gates on B. As apart of the agreement, Frontier will get a discount when they decide to extend Concourse A. United is getting a brand new regional jet facility to fill in Gates 61 A-L and 60 A-L. Also the possibility to preasure Contiental to C, thus opening up international gates in the concourse that was acctualy ment for Continental (Continental hubbed in Denver and was the one that built the bridge and left just before opening, but A has the only international gates outside Mexico) --- Just got back from DEN today :P

As for gate hording, I think 25 gate leasing limit, and if you want more a 50 gate terminal limit. :)
Posted ImagePosted Image
Discover The West, Go Beyond The West, Airways International
COAI Holding Group International - Airways International
Proudly serving the Greak Lakes region for over 15 years.

Visit: Simtropolis.com | Simvision.net (of course look for me)

galapagapop

galapagapop

• 602 posts

United is being forced to give up their Concourse A gates to Frontier, 8 gates are being built on Concourse C for open gates, while United is building their double loading bridge gates on B. As apart of the agreement, Frontier will get a discount when they decide to extend Concourse A. United is getting a brand new regional jet facility to fill in Gates 61 A-L and 60 A-L. Also the possibility to preasure Contiental to C, thus opening up international gates in the concourse that was acctualy ment for Continental (Continental hubbed in Denver and was the one that built the bridge and left just before opening, but A has the only international gates outside Mexico) --- Just got back from DEN today :P

As for gate hording, I think 25 gate leasing limit, and if you want more a 50 gate terminal limit. :)

True but there was leverage on UA from not only by DEN, notably for the regional extension, but the BK courts (4 mil a gate???) and F9 ain't getting them for free either. I'd give up 4 gate if it next me 10 or so as well, in AE terminals are seperated (unless you own it), just gates, and 25 limit? Sorry Just to low, 35 in my book is an improvement, just below the 36 needed for 50% discount for a terminal
CEO of:
Posted Image

sawilson1971

sawilson1971

• 133 posts
As load factors are limited on very short routes would it be possible to limit frequencies? For example the max frequencies any airline can operate between two airports be 5/10/15 per day?

Regards

Steve
Brokering in sim1

User ID 9729

Timsher

Timsher

Just a ling

• 573 posts
  • WLM ID:Timsher@gmail.com
  • Yahoo ID:Timsher19
Was talking to an alliance member today and he gave me a great idea (albeit one that's been brought up before, but I think it's worth mentioning here).

4) Make gates respond to time instead of freqs, lets say that each gate can handle 5 freqs of the longest turn around plane (a 747d at 140min). That gives a total of 700 minutes of turn around time you have at each gate. Every time you fly a plane to that gate the turn around time is deducted from the gate time you have (you fly an q400 1x you deduct 30mins and have 670 minutes left total). This would make it so you'd have to fly a beech 46 times to occupy one gate, but a A333 would have to fly 9 times to do the same thing.

Of course gate levels would have to be lowered to more realistic levels because the amount we have right now would almost never be used under this method.
Posted Image

drv4truk

drv4truk

AE Winner

• Veteran
  • 2,273 posts
Take a look at Colgan Air with 56 IAH gates and 30+ HOU. Somebody is doing some serious hoarding. At least we know his expansion will be held back by all of the losses he will incur from gate hogging.
Posted ImagePosted Image

LOT 737-300

LOT 737-300

• 274 posts
You know what I find funny. None of these so called "top players" who do widespread gate hogging don't seem to have grown the balls to come on this thread and attempt to justify their actions.

travelhouse

travelhouse

AE Winner

• Veteran
  • 2,066 posts
Well said, :P :)

travelhouse

travelhouse

AE Winner

• Veteran
  • 2,066 posts
Interesting stats from this player also:

http://sim.airlineem...php?player=9690

LHR London Heathrow 65 35%

As this is posted, is using only 35% of their LHR gates. Has 65 LHR Gates too.

http://sim.airlineem...sts&player=9690

The construction expenses show NIL.

So, how does this player hold onto the gates?

LOT 737-300

LOT 737-300

• 274 posts
I don't know, but he must spend millions just on gates he dosn't use and just rebuy them when they are taken. Either that, or he has a terminal (which shouldn't be the case due to his construction costs.)

oubobcat

oubobcat

• 236 posts
  • AIM Screen Name:parsonparsons
the same way most do. beeches. :eureka: didnt build a terminal either.....hmmm how DO i do it? not cheating...
vice president and director of public relations for ACE alliance.

cleveland rocks! pittsburgh sucks! and i wont even get into that other city in that state over there near washington DC that stole my team. i also dont give a damn for the whole state of michigan cause im from ohio but thats beside the point!

travelhouse

travelhouse

AE Winner

• Veteran
  • 2,066 posts

the same way most do. beeches. :eureka:

But you have only 35% covered.....and I see you hogged 45 Gatwick gates, so you log in and remove the Negitive numbers and come back just before change over and set the routes again.

Bad Move, others (And I mean 99%) of players would call you a low scum who should be removed for in the real world NO real airline would perform this, so why should you.

Sad CBA SAD :thumbdown::thumbdown:

LOT 737-300

LOT 737-300

• 274 posts

the same way most do. beeches. :eureka: didnt build a terminal either.....hmmm how DO i do it? not cheating...

And no one is accusing you and co. of cheating. We're just accusing you and everyone else of ruining the game for everyone else by taking gates that will never be used or not used really well until you guys buy 50 A333s in year 3 or 4. But I do have respect for you since you grew the balls and did come up and tell us what you did.
Thanks.

oubobcat

oubobcat

• 236 posts
youre brilliant. but i am not the only one who does a similar strategy....i think i am in the same boat as any who hoard...i just dont lose as much money as they do doing it:D i am not the low scum that you think i am. i am one of the most honest players in the game. im just hoarding some gates at my hub. sorry if that makes YOU think i am a horrible person:p

cleveland rocks! pittsburgh sucks! and i wont even get into that other city in that state over there near washington DC that stole my team. i also dont give a damn for the whole state of michigan cause im from ohio but thats beside the point!

oubobcat

oubobcat

• 236 posts

And no one is accusing you and co. of cheating. We're just accusing you and everyone else of ruining the game for everyone else by taking gates that will never be used or not used really well until you guys buy 50 A333s in year 3 or 4. But I do have respect for you since you grew the balls and did come up and tell us what you did.
Thanks.

yep im doing it. youre right. and i have the balls to say so. i also think hoarding is wrong...but the gates would have gone anyways and for those who think otherwise i know my competition at heathrow and one airline in particular has been known to do it. i beat him/her to it. im sorry if that sucks for all of you guys. i will terminal there soon anyways so you wont have to worry about it. id say no more than 1-2 weeks real time. probably closer to 1. i hope that this results in the stoppage of gate hoarding. but as it goes i will do it for now as so many others are too. when all the hoarders return theirs, i will follow suit. but i dont think i personally am ruining the game. many others have and continue to. cheating is the worst epidemic in the game. those who have to cheat to win are the scoundrels. i just play to the limits of the rules and if it is shady i apologize to all. i dont want you guys to hate me and try to take me down because of it. i know many other top airlines that do the same as me. when hoarding is stopped as a whole the game will be much better. but as of now its a huge epidemic. im sorry to those who ive offended by doing this but as i said the terminal will come soon. i am willing to sell some heathrow or gatwick gates though if they are needed....let me know. thanx
andrew

LOT 737-300

LOT 737-300

• 274 posts
You know, its not just the top 15 that are expanding, do you? Gate Hording by anyone just to keep their hubs secure is concidered sorta low life to me. But nevertheless, I still resepct the fact that you came up and admit to gate hoarding.
(This was made before your double post btw.)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users