Photo

It's too crowded!

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

Ariane

Ariane

• 40 posts
I've found that the airspace is way too crowded.

What are the plans for the future to reduce such a huge ammount of airlines flying. For example, I can't find gates at many European and North American airports, and if I got to a "less popular continent" such as Africa, there are not all that many cities to fly between.

So what is the plan for the future?

everotheleft

everotheleft

• 43 posts
We are throwing around the idea of multiple worlds.

Throwing around is the operative phrase.

In the interim, it is planned that all airports with over 100,000 pax a year will be included in the game, making more room for you to grow.

[Edited on 6/22/2005 by everotheleft]

Guest_Nathaniel_*

Guest_Nathaniel_*
  • Guests
basically we know this, and i think it is a horrible idea to let as many airlines play as it is, it just gets too crowded and everything...

and yes.. just try to survive

sfgiants13

sfgiants13

• 10 posts
Agreed. I say limit each world to 1000 airlines or so. It shouldn't be too easy, but not as difficult as the real world where everyone is filing for bankruptcy either. And, it wouldn't be a bad idea to assign a few people that are willing to give up their time (I'm one of them) to just have a job of adding airports to the database. Unless it requires a month of teaching someone to get that done, I think it's something you guys should consider.

Guest_Nathaniel_*

Guest_Nathaniel_*
  • Guests
omg.. its at 1000 right now and its to overcrowded.

like think.. max should be 300-400 if.

aj_n

aj_n

• 75 posts
  • AIM Screen Name:affirmation300
I wouldn't mind helping adding airports as well. Sounds like fun to me.:(:cool:

RacingBoy13

RacingBoy13

Banned

• 43 posts
  • WLM ID:Dario512
  • Yahoo ID:RacingBoy13
defenely, you could fit a lot more airlines if you had a lot more cities but the best thing will be an other world.

Ariane

Ariane

• 40 posts
Hey, if anyone can provide me with training, or a tutorial, or a set of instructions, I will help solve this very vital issue.

Or, some very nice person could find hosting and mirror this site (as in all the code, not the airlines themselves), and that way lower the load on this world.

[Edited on 6/22/2005 by Ariane]

Guest_Nathaniel_*

Guest_Nathaniel_*
  • Guests

Originally posted by Ariane
Hey, if anyone can provide me with training, or a tutorial, or a set of instructions, I will help solve this very vital issue.

Or, some very nice person could find hosting and mirror this site (as in all the code, not the airlines themselves), and that way lower the load on this world.

[Edited on 6/22/2005 by Ariane]

well they are not going to be giving out the code for this site... so i dont think that is an option. The code takes a long time to code, and giving it for free would basically..

so basically: they are going to have to decide what they want to do, not going to give out code for others to run....

Mexicana757

Mexicana757

• 148 posts
  • AIM Screen Name:dperez757
  • Yahoo ID:trekkerr757
It seems we are going to experience the same thing that happened in AE V.1. were there no gates at cities and crowded space.

If there are going to be separate worlds, I think airlines should be placed according to their airline ID number, like 1-500 in one world and 500+ in another. :(

Canadian

Canadian

AE Luver

• 347 posts
As everotheleft said, we're throwing that idea around of making different worlds. The method we have in mind is not hard to implement and does not add very much to the bandwidth load.

Limiting the number of players is an option, however it may not be the best thing to do, because we will in turn get a large crowd of people wanting to play.

So right now we're just throwing ideas around, but we think that adding more cities is the best option at this point, and we are considering splitting up into multiple worlds.

Rammstein

Rammstein

• 84 posts
The best strategy is to go inter-continental with widebodies. That is the only market that is safe now.

Canadian

Canadian

AE Luver

• 347 posts
Not everyone has that kind of money, Rammstein, and if everyone does that, then that market would get overcrowded as well. So as I see it, that is not really a solution...

miller22 (inactive)

miller22 (inactive)

AE Developer

• AE Developer
  • 607 posts
  • AIM Screen Name:AeProjectManager
I still have not heard one solid argument as to why someone thinks this game is overcrowded. Not everyone can fly LHR-FCO. One of the problems with the current load factor equation is that it does not account for actual O&D statistics. Rather it is based purely on city sizes, which means there is almost an infinite number of routes available for a tidy profit.

Gate space is limiting, just like in the real world, which is why we've allowed for Ae players to do exactly what airlines with terminal congestion do, build more terminals.

There are no plans as of now to introduce multiple worlds. One world is about all this server can take.

Canadian

Canadian

AE Luver

• 347 posts
Well, as far as multiple worlds go, I stand corrected on that one, but Miller I thought the method that we discussed does not take up extra bandwidth?

So I guess the best option at this point is to add lots more cities to the game to allow for more routes.

However, the way I see it, we WILL have to limit the number of players sometime. Because each new player adds on more bandwidth, so we will have to put a cap on it eventually...

Rammstein

Rammstein

• 84 posts

Originally posted by AirCanada
Not everyone has that kind of money, Rammstein, and if everyone does that, then that market would get overcrowded as well. So as I see it, that is not really a solution...

I realize that. But that is why it is safe. For the fortunate among us who CAN do it, I wouldn't waste time competing on a BEECH vs. BEECH level, I would sell them all and go international. It won't be overcrowded on an international level for a much longer time.

Guest_Ennova_*

Guest_Ennova_*
  • Guests

Originally posted by miller22
I still have not heard one solid argument as to why someone thinks this game is overcrowded. Not everyone can fly LHR-FCO. One of the problems with the current load factor equation is that it does not account for actual O&D statistics. Rather it is based purely on city sizes, which means there is almost an infinite number of routes available for a tidy profit.

Gate space is limiting, just like in the real world, which is why we've allowed for Ae players to do exactly what airlines with terminal congestion do, build more terminals.

There are no plans as of now to introduce multiple worlds. One world is about all this server can take.

I agree with Miller on this one. Yes, the big airports are overcrowded (what else would you expect), but there are lots of smaller airports where you can make a nice profit (albeit more slowly) that have little or no competition. Eventually it will level out and the stiff competition at the big airports will mean that those that go trans-contenental or can make money on the smaller routes will be able to compete in the overall standings.

Robert, Ennova Air

Crazy764

Crazy764

• 206 posts
Most people are still making a profit in this game, that's more than can be said about airlines in the real world. So be content. This game is about realism, not easiness.

Just because you aren't making as much money as when there were only 100 competitors doesn't mean it's time to create new worlds. It's just time to face reality.

Like I said before, established airlines like UA and AA would probably love for the government to pass a new law that prevented new airlines from being created (read Southwest, Jetblue), or one that would put these airlines into a "different world". But that's not the case. So airlines like UA and AA will just have to refine their methods, increase efficiency, and compete as best as they can.

Like in the real market, this game is based on a free market economy, where demand and competition determine the number of players in the market. Over time, the losing airlines will go out of business and the problem will take care of itself.

------------------------------------

That being said, adding new cities would relieve this problem greatly. Plus, it would add to the realism of this game.

In addition, make it harder for companies to declare bankrupcty. Airlines in the real world can't just click a button and be reset with $5 mil and two planes. If we make bankrupcty harder (limit the number of bankrupcties allowed, remove bankrupcty all together, etc.) the problem of overcrowding would solve itself too.

maurice

maurice

• 31 posts

Originally posted by Crazy764
This game is about realism, not easiness.

You all have your mouths full when talking about realism... :D

Then why is it allowed to let people fly on 3 different continents without having hubs and without connecting those continents? :mad:

Then why is it allowed to have 60 frecuencies between 2 cities? :mad:

Then why an american based airline can fly between Paris - London or Tokio - Osaka? :mad:

Then why I cannot get higher prices than 125$ on a Madrid - Dakar without competition and have 200$ on a Madrid - Barcelona (45 minutes flight) with 40 frecuencies between the 15 airlines that are flying this route? :(

If this game is about realism, then we ALL should do it the real way.

I know this a beta game, but it is becoming insane...

My 2 cents... and sorry about this, but I had to say it.. :(

maurice

maurice

• 31 posts

Originally posted by Crazy764
In addition, make it harder for companies to declare bankrupcty. Airlines in the real world can't just click a button and be reset with $5 mil and two planes. If we make bankrupcty harder (limit the number of bankrupcties allowed, remove bankrupcty all together, etc.) the problem of overcrowding would solve itself too.

Or making them restart at -$25 M with just one plane... just as they had to pay the credit for bankrupting to the banks...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users