• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

whowey

whowey

• 260 posts
Emery Air announces contract with Comair

By Heath Hixson
ROCKFORD REGISTER STAR

ROCKFORD — Almost two months to the day after Emery Air announced that it would open a 54,000-square-foot regional jet center at the airport, the company has landed a major customer for the new space.

Emery Air announced Thursday that it has won a three-year contract with Cincinnati-based Comair to provide heavy maintenance for the regional airline’s fleet of Bombardier CRJ-700 jets. Comair is a wholly owned subsidiary of Delta Air Lines.

Comair planes will fly into Chicago/Rockford International Airport for inspections and maintenance at Emery’s 24-hour Coleman Hangar on the northeast side of the airport, according to Steve Thomas, Emery Air CEO.

“It is a big endorsement of our business and the Rockford area for them to sign a contract with us,” Thomas said. “It certainly shows people that we are for real.”

Emery officials have said they expect to add 125 aviation technician and mechanic positions in the next few years to staff the said as many of 50 of those jobs will come from the Comair contract.

Thomas said the value of the contract is “an eight-figure deal” but he declined to be more specific. Beyond its financial impact, though, the contract also could lead to other regional jet business for Emery.

Comair is considered be a heavy hitter in the regional airline industry and was the first such company to begin using the smaller regional Bombardier jet to ferry customers to their destinations.

Emery beat other companies seeking the Comair contract.

“Emery has met or exceeded all of our expectations throughout the selection and startup process and we believe this will be a successful heavy maintenance partnership,” Keith Johnson, Comair’s director of aircraft repair and overhaul, said in a statement provided by Emery announcing the project. “We were impressed with their customer-focused philosophy and commitment to safety, service and quality.”

For Chicago/Rockford, the contract could mean others in the industry will notice the airport.

“It raises awareness of the airport in the minds of the local and regional citizens,” said Bob O’Brien, airport executive director. “Plus, it also raises awareness in the airline industry, mostly the passenger airline industry, but certainly other parts of the aviation industry.”
Posted ImageMember of the Posted Image ID: 11893
Owned: A bunch of aircraft

miller22 (inactive)

miller22 (inactive)

AE Developer

• AE Developer
  • 607 posts
  • AIM Screen Name:AeProjectManager
I just picked an airplane up out of there last week. I looked over every square inch of that airplane and they had done a nice job putting it all back together.

Rockford is only dealing with our CRJ-700's, and a CRJ-200 is what went down.

whowey

whowey

• 260 posts
Next time let me know. I live about 30 miles from RFD.

Were all the Independence Air aircraft still there, in 'temporary storage'?
Posted ImageMember of the Posted Image ID: 11893
Owned: A bunch of aircraft

miller22 (inactive)

miller22 (inactive)

AE Developer

• AE Developer
  • 607 posts
  • AIM Screen Name:AeProjectManager
I'd say they had about 8 or 9 Indy aircraft there. We were only there long enough to drop the new aircraft off for Mx, look over the aircraft we were taking to Washington, and leave.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users