• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

whowey

whowey

• 260 posts
United flight changes shift focus to Asian routes, cargo

By Dave Carpenter
THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

CHICAGO — Shifting its focus increasingly toward more lucrative routes across the Pacific, United Airlines announced Friday that it will add 40 weekly flights to Asia over the next nine months and no longer will fly from New York to London and Tokyo.

United also plans to add more cargo capacity as it seeks to strengthen its bottom line in the face of record fuel prices that have slowed its recovery after a three-year bankruptcy restructuring.

The nation’s second-largest carrier agreed to sell its New York-London route authority to No. 3 Delta Air Lines Inc. for $21 million, dropping a hotly contested but unprofitable route to focus more on trans-Pacific flights where its broad international network gives it an advantage.

It said it will move its Tokyo service from New York’s John F. Kennedy International Airport to Washington Dulles International Airport.

The schedule changes make sense for United because of strong business travel demand on routes to Asia and because of the premium prices that can be charged for long international flights, said John Pincavage, an independent airline consultant.

Shares in the company rose 53 cents to close at $27.52 on the Nasdaq Stock Market.
Posted ImageMember of the Posted Image ID: 11893
Owned: A bunch of aircraft

piercey

piercey

I heart Embraer!

• 1,375 posts
  • Yahoo ID:pierceyohio@sbcglobal.net
What's the tempeture in hell?
My eyes went skyward and never came down.

Embre Air: Your Embre in the sky
ID#2066

Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image Posted Image

TorqueWrench

TorqueWrench

AE Luver

• Veteran
  • 446 posts

What's the tempeture in hell?

Still quite hot... not as cold as you might be trying to suggest...

Nice move by UAL, they drop a profitless route and make $21 Million out of the deal... :saint:
I realised I was dyslexic when I went to a toga party dressed as a goat.

I saw that show, 50 Things To Do Before You Die. I would have thought the obvious one was "Shout For Help"

Cats have nine lives. Which makes them ideal for experimentation.

sawilson1971

sawilson1971

• 133 posts
Does this now give Delta slots at Heathrow? I thought only 2 UK and 2 US based carriers coould fly the Atlantic from Heathrow.

What chance that Delta will drop this route and use the slots to fly into Heathrow from Atlanta.

With low cost carriers (Zoom and Globespan to name but two) now starting to make their weight felt on transatlantic routes will the established long-haul carriers all have to re-assess their business models?

Regards

Steve
Brokering in sim1

User ID 9729

miller22 (inactive)

miller22 (inactive)

AE Developer

• AE Developer
  • 607 posts
  • AIM Screen Name:AeProjectManager
Nope. Delta will be running JFK-LGW. The UK is still rediculously restrictive on which US Airlines can get into Heathrow. Still only United and American are allowed.

StephenM

StephenM

• 987 posts
  • WLM ID:srkm@eircom.net
In Ireland its different, easy for US Carriers and hard on Aer Lingus, we are only allowed to fly to 5 destinations!
Aer Solas

BrianReidy

BrianReidy

Plane Spotter

• 28 posts
  • AIM Screen Name:londonaddict1
  • Website:http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v209/JetBlastBWI/
Looks like UA has dropped JFK-LHR and is seeking approval for IAD-NRT, probably to compete with ANA. They've gotten the go-ahead for IAD-KWI as well which is great. Lots of cargo $ to be made there.

Regards
BR :P
England International- A Member of EuroSkies
Making the World a Little More Connected

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users