• 560 posts
  • WLM ID:scalpel4@hotmail.com
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13313480/

drv4truk

drv4truk

AE Winner

• Veteran
  • 2,273 posts
:P Yep and another large order for Boeing.
Posted ImagePosted Image

Scalpel4

Scalpel4

• 560 posts
Won't that be a punch in the gut if Emirates cancels or reduces their order and buys the 747-8? If a few airlines pull out, this will seriously hurt Airbus' image, just not their pocketbook due to the subsidies.

HADC10

HADC10

• 273 posts
I think we will be seeing some 747-8 orders. Note that QANTAS said it would be looking for short term replacement aircraft, and 747-8 fleet commonality might e benefiecial.
Posted Image
ID 724
The North Country's Premier Airline
Proud Member of 3RA-North America Regional Coordinator
Offering over 100 flights a day to SEA, ANC, YYC, DEL, DEN, YEG, HND, HNL, KIX, LAS, LAX, MSP, PEK, CDG, PHX, PDX, RNO, SLC, SAN, SFO,TUS, YVR, and IAD
Click here for a no-fail AE strategy guide
Posted Image
Posted Image

frankly.de

frankly.de

Fly the Best - Fly Airbus

• 148 posts

I think we will be seeing some 747-8 orders. Note that QANTAS said it would be looking for short term replacement aircraft, and 747-8 fleet commonality might e benefiecial.

Just when do you think the 747-8s will be available? For all I know "short term" is not the word to use here... The first one of those will be available long after Qantas has had it its A380s delivered. Na, primarily, airlines are fluffing their feathers, and Qantas may indeed rent a few 747-400s on Airbus' expense or get a few 340-500s or -600s to cover the delay, but that should be about it.

airline55

airline55

• 1,198 posts

Just when do you think the 747-8s will be available?

at this rate, before the A380 is.:P

Scalpel4

Scalpel4

• 560 posts

at this rate, before the A380 is.:P

Damn right! One more delay like this and the airlines will tell Airbus to take a flying leap.

drv4truk

drv4truk

AE Winner

• Veteran
  • 2,273 posts
Just look at what they have so far predicted as an updated production schedule. Some airlines are going to be a little more than upset with this. I wonder how far this will push out the freighter deliveries.
Posted ImagePosted Image

airline55

airline55

• 1,198 posts
If you had asked me when the A380 first flew, I might have said Boeing missed a big opportunity by not developing a challenger to the A380, not, I think they did the right thing.

maratimejet

maratimejet

• 23 posts
So will any of the airlines that want compensation actually get it?
Hub: YYZ
Airline: 10898
Posted Image

frankly.de

frankly.de

Fly the Best - Fly Airbus

• 148 posts

So will any of the airlines that want compensation actually get it?

Sure they will get their compensations, a contract is a contract and if Airbus agreed to compensations for late delivery they will have to pay them.

And to all those 747-8 fans who are so delighted to see Airbus in trouble: Wait and see how well Boeing is going to do when it comes to delivering the first 787s or the 747-8s. I would not be surprised at all to find they then had to deal with the very same problems Airbus has to deal with right now. Because the problems Airbus is experiencing atm are due to two main reasons:
1. The unprecedented variety of different ways the different airlines want their A380s equipped. That makes for extra work in tuning everything involved to meet the specific requirements.
2. The fact that Airbus (not unlike Boeing these days) sources its components from around the world, often from suppliers that have no previous experience of the actual quality required in aircraft manufacturing, so that they end up uncertified tanks etc. This certainly could have been avoided by sticking with experienced suppliers from Europe and NAmerica, but they didn't and now they're paying the price, just as Boeing will when it comes to building their new lines.

Oh, and if Airbus was so wrong in developing the A380, then why od airlines order in and why on earth does Boeing have to come up with the 747-8?

No, I am not a blind Airbus fan (I quite like the 777, for example), but Airbus-bashing is certainly not the order of the day, since their problems are typical for the direction the whole industry is heading.

Scalpel4

Scalpel4

• 560 posts
Now let's be honest. Nobody here is criticizing Airbus the company, however there is criticism for Airbus management. That's the primary reason for all the problems they're having. Don't buy it, then read this:
http://www.iht.com/a...ness/airbus.php

StephenM

StephenM

• 987 posts
  • WLM ID:srkm@eircom.net
I dont suppose anyone here can manage a supply chain so large as one that Airbus/Boeing have? Its some achievement to build a plane of any size with parts coming from so many different locations in many forms of transport and open to huge delays. So I would commend them rather than criticise them.
On another note I study Logistics and Supply Chain Managemet as a full time honours degree course and the importance of JIT and other concepts are drilled into us, but its also generally known that it is a huge task that is not easily achieved.
Aer Solas

Scalpel4

Scalpel4

• 560 posts
Well I know supply chains. I'm a 6 Sigma green belt in lean manufacturing, and supply chain management is a critical component to a good manufacturing process. Unfortunately I really don't think this isn't the problem from everything I've read. No matter how good a manufacturing process is, poor management, bad communication and infighting always screws it all up. I know this from personal experience at a few companies, and I recognize the symptoms at Airbus.

airline55

airline55

• 1,198 posts
I commend them for there accomplishments, but, they promised their customers that the planes would be delivered by a certain date, and then failed to meet that deadline.

WingsOTWorld

WingsOTWorld

MEMBER 4EVA!

• 822 posts
3 words: Sucks for them.
Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

Aircraft Owned: ATR-72s, Saabs, EMB-195LRs, A319s, 1 Q400, and A330s
ANA-The Pinnacle of Japanese Aviation (Kickin off at ORD) -An ACE Alliance Member / エイス アラヤンス メンバー全日空
ID#:10917

aerospaceair

aerospaceair

• 126 posts
Too bad because I was hoping I would fly the A380 before going to college where money will be lesser in amount for such spending.

WingsOTWorld

WingsOTWorld

MEMBER 4EVA!

• 822 posts
At this point we are gonna graduate out of college before it flies. (Thats around 2012 for me....the year the apocolypse is supposed to hit for those of you who care...)
Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

Aircraft Owned: ATR-72s, Saabs, EMB-195LRs, A319s, 1 Q400, and A330s
ANA-The Pinnacle of Japanese Aviation (Kickin off at ORD) -An ACE Alliance Member / エイス アラヤンス メンバー全日空
ID#:10917

airline55

airline55

• 1,198 posts

At this point we are gonna graduate out of college before it flies. (Thats around 2012 for me....the year the apocolypse is supposed to hit for those of you who care...)

I don't.

Not to say I don't beleive in prophecy, but I just looked that up, and only about half of the list point to the end times, the rest point to a much better future.

btw, Iran's nutcase of a leader says the world will end in 2007, so I take any claim like that with great speculation.

The list is HERE

HADC10

HADC10

• 273 posts
Well, according to the Olduvai theory, we should be in a global depression, but all signs point to a better economic future, at least for China and India.
Posted Image
ID 724
The North Country's Premier Airline
Proud Member of 3RA-North America Regional Coordinator
Offering over 100 flights a day to SEA, ANC, YYC, DEL, DEN, YEG, HND, HNL, KIX, LAS, LAX, MSP, PEK, CDG, PHX, PDX, RNO, SLC, SAN, SFO,TUS, YVR, and IAD
Click here for a no-fail AE strategy guide
Posted Image
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users