Photo

What's the biggest monopoly you've had?

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

chriswen

chriswen

• 4 posts

I'm sure everyone have monopolised certain routes before, but did anyone manage to monopolise an entire country?

The R5 game that I've just completed, I've successfully monopolized the entire continent of Australia as well as New Zealand. There were 0 competitors for 75% of the 30 year game length. Basically I had the control of all domestic routes within Australia and only met fair competitions with routes to Asia and North America. Typically Australia is a small market but when there's no one around, it is easy to obtain $500M DOP with 1600+ routes and 2500+ aircrafts.

Zacca

Zacca

AE nostalgic member

• 1,738 posts

oh you mean a spamline? those cancerous spamlines? oh god...

Jamesthomeson

Jamesthomeson

Desperate to Fly

• 451 posts
Probably the one I have now in Vietnam (R4). Another carrier started up and I quickly bankrupted them. In the past I've had monopolies in South Korea and Thailand but those were not forced like the one I have now, they just happened because the other airlines in the country (which were bigger than mine) just went inactive until bankruptcy.
t4lPIvQ.jpgUjfJ0sC.png

G.J.

G.J.

• 1,462 posts

I've had almost total dominance over DAL and CLT before, because most of my brands are based there.

Venture Co-Owner | Aloft Staff | Ex-Polaris Member | Unitedwings Co-Owner | Dynasty World Alliance Member

Marb1

Marb1

Transport and aviation fan

• 1,782 posts

I've had almost total dominance over DAL and CLT before, because most of my brands are based there.

Really? Look at R3 :P

Max Devo

Max Devo

Extra spicy memes

• 363 posts

Monopolized Hungary once, North Korea several times over, and got very close in China.

There's a user here who makes an airline called "The Empire" and proceeds to completely take over the game world with himself and feeder airlines. He is the lord of spam, to be feared and vilified. No, just vilified.

tumblr_nfjii5i0Ky1sorz3uo1_250.jpg

Avelo

Avelo

ae4ever

• 1,328 posts

User's Awards

5    2   

Monopolized Hungary once, North Korea several times over, and got very close in China.

There's a user here who makes an airline called "The Empire" and proceeds to completely take over the game world with himself and feeder airlines. He is the lord of spam, to be feared and vilified. No, just vilified.

I once monopolized the entire Indian domestic market in Rα with Abra Air, but with such rapid expansion came its tragic downfall and bankruptcy. With a massive surplus of young, used aircraft left over from The Empire I was quickly tempted to expand my fleet within a very short time frame, at least until it backfired when I began to gradually lose money each month and run out of cash as a result.

FlippRtheReaL

FlippRtheReaL

X-Plane 11 flyer

• 39 posts

My current game at R4 as "Amihan Airways". I have complete control of the Philippine Domestic market until now. There was like 3 airlines started up after me but could not stand my airline's superiority over them and immediately go bankrupt. Good thing that there's an airline which is currently my biggest competitor. But only flies on international routes. Still, it's competition. And its better than nothing I guess.

ffxxmz

ffxxmz

Air Galicia's CEO and future pilot

• 254 posts
I monopolised Russia with a realistic recreation of Soviet era Aeroflot, It was an open world so I still had competition but eventually, I became the only airline operating out of Russia

RmzvjWC.jpg

Avelo

Avelo

ae4ever

• 1,328 posts

User's Awards

5    2   

I monopolised Russia with a realistic recreation of Soviet era Aeroflot, It was an open world so I still had competition but eventually, I became the only airline operating out of Russia

I have Transaero in S3-C, and so far it's being profitable.

IY Group

IY Group

AE Player

• 31 posts

User's Awards

Last year (not on this ID, Hanjin Globe that was banned by Hanjin International Holdings) ATL/LAX/SFO in Sandbox Server.

AJ787-9

AJ787-9

Friendly Aviation Capitalist

• 80 posts

User's Awards

2    5    2   

I was the only airline out of the Ivory Coast on an earlier round in R1 (or 0, this was a few years ago), on the last Rδ round I dominated NZ with only a small bit of competition domestically (the closest rival was a "kiwi" airline, based in Aussie). Currently I've got the run of Italy in R1 as Alpini; It's practically small players and regional hubs from non-Italian carriers.

CVQgY9y.jpg

UJ3urKq.jpg

H2O

H2O

Tired of repetition

• 291 posts

User's Awards

I find it funny that not a single person who said they have monopolized some area or another do not have a single valuation trophy.

Jamesthomeson

Jamesthomeson

Desperate to Fly

• 451 posts

I find it funny that not a single person who said they have monopolized some area or another do not have a single valuation trophy.

How do trophies have anything to do with having total control of a market?
t4lPIvQ.jpgUjfJ0sC.png

H2O

H2O

Tired of repetition

• 291 posts

User's Awards

How do trophies have anything to do with having total control of a market?

One would assume that if you monopolized the market you would be making enough pax to reach top 10 XD

Jamesthomeson

Jamesthomeson

Desperate to Fly

• 451 posts

One would assume that if you monopolized the market you would be making enough pax to reach top 10 XD

That's not really true. What if your market is like North Korea or something? Just because you have total control doesn't necessarily mean you're making profit.
t4lPIvQ.jpgUjfJ0sC.png

Marb1

Marb1

Transport and aviation fan

• 1,782 posts

Except AJ787-9... Oh whoops... He only has rep trophies

Maestro69

Maestro69

El Original Mod, AE Beta Tester

• AE Moderator
  • 4,010 posts

User's Awards

3    3   

Just wanted to add to the OP, that in the S1 world that just finished, i ended up rank 2.

My airline, Australis, was based at IST, and ended up with 85% marketshare there along with 30-40% marketshare at the next 10 airports in Turkey. I also ended up with a DOP of 481 mil, which if i really wanted to push in the last few weeks, im sure i would have surpassed 500 mil.

Also, in regards to the competition, when i began, there was 2 big Turkish airlines which ended up being deleted for inactivity, a start up airline ended up quitting after i flooded there routes and towards the end, another start up airline appeared at AYT, which i was unable to crush due to the world restrictions, but was not much of a bother for me in the long run.

dleLlDN.png?raw=1

Zacca

Zacca

AE nostalgic member

• 1,738 posts

Except AJ787-9... Oh whoops... He only has rep trophies

and now maestro, and he has a valuation trophy

atnt71eb

atnt71eb

Emperor of AE - Most Trophies, Undefeated. Universally beloved.

• 342 posts

User's Awards

60    63    143    14    3   

I once monopolized the ENTIRE market for BFP-LEX. It's probably worth more than any continental monopoly you've ever had.

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users