Livery Advice Megathread

• Please log in to reply
149 replies to this topic

Pasti

Pasti

Fowl Play

• 1,032 posts

User's Awards

I've been seeing some threads recently about people wanting their liveries commented upon and what they should improve on. So why not make a thread where people can just discuss about the liveries they create?

So I'm making this thread. You can:

• share WIP liveries
  • seek advice on how to get better
  • give thoughts
  • ask if liveries are good enough to go on gallery albums

I just politely ask that you don't argue in here. This thread is meant to expand cooperation among people, and as you most likely know, arguments do exactly the opposite of that.

Okay? Good.

siggie3.png

Stevphfeniey

Stevphfeniey

Bad m*****f*****

• 4,249 posts

Probably the top two mistakes I see people both here on AE and out in the industry make are not putting enough time into what they make, and not putting enough research into what they make.

In a nutshell I tell people to make your thing, then leave it for a day and come back to it later, does wonders for getting different iterations. The more iteration a design has gone through the better it ends up being. Related to this I must stress the importance of sitting down with a pencil and paper and getting your ideas out on paper first. Doesn't matter if it's a sketch of a logo, or a livery, or just writing out what ideas you might have for the work. It's a lot quicker than sitting in front of a computer screen and trying to draw it out in one go.

Precedent is also very important for making something believable, especially you folks taking up historical liveries but even for people doing contemporary liveries. It's also good if you're in a bit of a jam in terms of ideas. But yeah there's clever and innovative originality, then there's s***ty originality. Research guards against s***ty originality.

Personally I think nailing down these two skills is where people should start before they do anything else. Gets you into the right mindset to actually start designing good work.

please don't kill us we're just the aquabats

The Best Discord Server

Spyrosv

Spyrosv

AE Addict

• 855 posts
So I want to get into livery thing and I totally agree with you Stevphfeniey. I have one question though. You guys make logos on your own right ? If so, how do you do it and what programs do you use ?

Stevphfeniey

Stevphfeniey

Bad m*****f*****

• 4,249 posts

Personally I use Adobe Illustrator, which is the program which is actually designed for things like logo creation. It's a vector based program which means your originals (the most important thing you can do) start out "pixel-less" and are thus sharper going into something like Photoshop.

iirc Inkscape is the open source equivalent of that.

Edit: I should probably also mention that with a few exceptions I do actually follow my own advice and sketch something out, do research, and think about my logo ideas.

The Best Discord Server

Pasti

Pasti

Fowl Play

• 1,032 posts

User's Awards

So I want to get into livery thing and I totally agree with you Stevphfeniey. I have one question though. You guys make logos on your own right ? If so, how do you do it and what programs do you use ?

I take elements from clipart online and usually combine them with my own elements, making something new. 

siggie3.png

Bacon

Bacon

AE Luver

• 275 posts

How do you make good logos in GIMP?

Bacon

Bacon

AE Luver

• 275 posts

Wanting some general advice on this:

2qd4axy.png

Pasti

Pasti

Fowl Play

• 1,032 posts

User's Awards

It’s okay. Don’t like those lines protruding from the fuselage and the engine, though.

siggie3.png

Avelo

Avelo

ae4ever

• 1,328 posts

User's Awards

5    2   
@Pasti: You mentioned this livery looks plain and that it needed fixing. How should I change the background? Which area is the best position for the text? What other elements should I add into the livery?
Attached File  Airbus A330-200.png   95.82KB   0 downloads

Stevphfeniey

Stevphfeniey

Bad m*****f*****

• 4,249 posts

How do you make good logos in GIMP?

Lots of reading and precedent, a halfway decent knowledge of color theory, an understanding of geometry and some time :P

But seriously in GIMP there should be something called the pen tool or something like that. Basically it lets you draw shapes that should have more or less editable verticies. Use that coupled with some kind of grid to help you create something even. Beyond that sketch out ideas before committing to something, and even then edit that finished something. 

Another good tip for designing logos is doing it in black and white, then adding in color later. Think of it as building the foundation and frame of a house that you'll paint later. 

The Best Discord Server

Pasti

Pasti

Fowl Play

• 1,032 posts

User's Awards

I think you should move the text to the right of the first door. Change the background to something a little less plain, like a picture of Tashkent or a steppe, and colour the engine.

siggie3.png

Pasti

Pasti

Fowl Play

• 1,032 posts

User's Awards

But seriously in GIMP there should be something called the pen tool or something like that.

There isn’t, unfortunately :(

Only a pencil and paintbrush.

siggie3.png

Avelo

Avelo

ae4ever

• 1,328 posts

User's Awards

5    2   

I think you should move the text to the right of the first door. Change the background to something a little less plain, like a picture of Tashkent or a steppe, and colour the engine.

What color would work best for the engine, sky blue or dark green?

Pasti

Pasti

Fowl Play

• 1,032 posts

User's Awards

Sky blue, same as the bottom fuselage. And I mean above what you have currently, right above the windows rather than below them.

siggie3.png

Avelo

Avelo

ae4ever

• 1,328 posts

User's Awards

5    2   

Sky blue, same as the bottom fuselage.

The text is already to the right of the first door, so I think you meant the second door. Correct?

n.x.w.m

n.x.w.m

taiwanball

• Data Collector
  • 2,061 posts

There isn’t, unfortunately :(

Only a pencil and paintbrush.

Paths tool, or use the selection tool and paint or cut parts out.

cUDPatH.jpg

Pasti

Pasti

Fowl Play

• 1,032 posts

User's Awards

https://tenor.com/vi...own-gif-4384766

siggie3.png

Bradimir

Bradimir

Missing?

• 715 posts

User's Awards

Paths tool, or use the selection tool and paint or cut parts out.

unknown.pngEstablished Oct. 2012

#GOSTROS

Denver.

Denver.

Retired AE Comrade

• 2,042 posts

Of all the liveries I've seen in AE I just wish real life airlines were redirected to the AE Galler so they could replace they're awful liveries. 

u2r8weo.jpg

Founder of National | Founder of Golden | Judge at National Awards 2016 | Member at SkyRoutes Alliance | Member of Universal Alliance | Member of The SkyWorld Alliance | 

Bacon

Bacon

AE Luver

• 275 posts

This one I tried to put more thought and time into, and planned it out before hand. But there is no such thing as a perfect livery, so...

ddgw14.png

I should also mention that I did not make the logo

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users