• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

Avelo

Avelo

ae4ever

• 1,328 posts

User's Awards

5    2   

I still remember travelling with BA from LHR-GRU-EZE back when BA did it with a 747 and stopped at GRU.

Best flights of my life back then, and I always got business on the top floor because it was just exciting. Now they have these terrible 777s flying it, so I make a point of using American and stopping at JFK or using LATAM through BSB, GRU or Rio as a sign of resistance, tho I don't think its working.

That being said... the 747 remains an icon and defiance of all the laws of flying that had been known.

My grandfather who flew with it when they had the piano aboard on the United 747s... I'm going to look for the picture of it, though I'll doubt I'll find it.

LATAM

Why do you say the 777 is terrible? It's actually one of the most advanced long-haul planes in the skies today.

LATAM

LATAM

The neutral member

• 570 posts

User's Awards

All I'm saying is that Club World with BA was better on the 747 than the 777 (same configuration, but upstairs was better)... Plus the 777s which BA uses are antiquated (over 15 years old) and are still fitted with the old 2-4-2 business layout which is just not something which a premium airline should offer. 

Thats all. The 777 might be one of the most advanced long-haul planes, but the 787/A350 still do better in many regards. 

LATAM 

post-80164-0-57964300-1517860417.png

kingoftheskies

kingoftheskies

I breathe SQ but not their fares :/

• 377 posts

All I'm saying is that Club World with BA was better on the 747 than the 777 (same configuration, but upstairs was better)... Plus the 777s which BA uses are antiquated (over 15 years old) and are still fitted with the old 2-4-2 business layout which is just not something which a premium airline should offer. 

Let's be real, BA has been deteriorating ever since the Vueling CEO stepped in.

xkDm6U0.png

aZ0BcgW.png

MGnazId.png

194wCOY.png

C49JvWP.png

zortan

zortan

AE Winner

• 2,515 posts

Let's be real, BA has been deteriorating ever since the Vueling CEO stepped in.

Even before that, but yeah, it really has been. 

Examples, in case PingPong is reading:

• Business class - horrid absolutely horrid. I'd rather fly a 2-3-2 lie flat than that horrible thing that they call comfortable
  • Economy - taking away free anything, you get the point there
  • First - many call it "world's best business class", but I'd say its worse than Delta one suites and Qsuites
  • Econ+ - removing stuff again
  • Space - adding as many seats as possible - the only thing they aren't taking away :D
  • Quality of catering, etc. - horrible, torture even when I did fly BA (have avoided them since 2012)

Any other points people want to add?

About LATAMs point: So true. The upper deck 744 isn't as bad as lower deck or 777. That's all my mom flies when she flies with them, unless she's on the 380, in which case she tries for window.

LATAM

LATAM

The neutral member

• 570 posts

User's Awards

Even before that, but yeah, it really has been. 

Examples, in case PingPong is reading:

• Business class - horrid absolutely horrid. I'd rather fly a 2-3-2 lie flat than that horrible thing that they call comfortable
  • Economy - taking away free anything, you get the point there
  • First - many call it "world's best business class", but I'd say its worse than Delta one suites and Qsuites
  • Econ+ - removing stuff again
  • Space - adding as many seats as possible - the only thing they aren't taking away :D
  • Quality of catering, etc. - horrible, torture even when I did fly BA (have avoided them since 2012)

Any other points people want to add?

About LATAMs point: So true. The upper deck 744 isn't as bad as lower deck or 777. That's all my mom flies when she flies with them, unless she's on the 380, in which case she tries for window.

I mean, BA business short-haul (which is what I mainly do)  is pretty good. I'm saphire/emerald depending on year, but I always enjoy it. Long-haul, when I do US, American or fly on BAs 747-400 top floor. Always call them upahead and tell them that I want top floor and 9 times out of 10 I get it. 

For south America I always do LATAM. In December I'm going to MVD from Madrid and I'm flying Iberia, which again isn't amazing, but it'll do. LATAM Premium Business I'd say the best, although it isn't as full flat-lie as BA offers, but it's close. 

Tbh, BA/OneWorld, especially in Europe have had to adapt a lot because of LCCs, and the only comparable advantage for flying with BA is miles/redemption of miles etc. 

Business long-haul food is pretty good... again, I don't often leave OneWorld unless I have to, but Lufthansa business has many advantages over BA, but again... each to their own. 

LATAM 

post-80164-0-57964300-1517860417.png

Avelo

Avelo

ae4ever

• 1,328 posts

User's Awards

5    2   

I mean, BA business short-haul (which is what I mainly do) is pretty good. I'm saphire/emerald depending on year, but I always enjoy it. Long-haul, when I do US, American or fly on BAs 747-400 top floor. Always call them upahead and tell them that I want top floor and 9 times out of 10 I get it.

For south America I always do LATAM. In December I'm going to MVD from Madrid and I'm flying Iberia, which again isn't amazing, but it'll do. LATAM Premium Business I'd say the best, although it isn't as full flat-lie as BA offers, but it's close.

Tbh, BA/OneWorld, especially in Europe have had to adapt a lot because of LCCs, and the only comparable advantage for flying with BA is miles/redemption of miles etc.

Business long-haul food is pretty good... again, I don't often leave OneWorld unless I have to, but Lufthansa business has many advantages over BA, but again... each to their own.

LATAM

You do realize that BA's so-called "business class" is really nothing more than gussied-up premium economy seats with a little extra stretch and space here and there. And it's a shame they keep billing themselves as a "premium" airline with deteriorating product and service levels that contradict that claim, from the food to the seats--and even the age of their long-haul planes! Quite ironic that Skytrax still rates them as four stars, when in reality what they really provide is no better than three stars, from short-haul economy all the way to first class. Adding insult to injury, I have a feeling that BA would eventually start forcing passengers to pay for food on transatlantic flights in the future, now that Norwegian is gradually taking away its once-dominant market share in that area XP

kingoftheskies

kingoftheskies

I breathe SQ but not their fares :/

• 377 posts

European Business Class, although I've never flew it before, it's not worth the money imo.

xkDm6U0.png

aZ0BcgW.png

MGnazId.png

194wCOY.png

C49JvWP.png

cyclingpilot

cyclingpilot

• 5 posts

User's Awards

4    5   

united_747-400_sfo_ord_trip_report_01.jp

I used to fly them around the Pacific, and loved the few times I could get the top deck (I had to rely on upgrades). One flight from HGK-ORD was like being on a private jet. Also, my first ever flight to Europe was on an Air France 747-200 from ORD-ORY (back when there was a smoking section). I will miss them, but they will live on as freighters. (Remember that the reason for the top deck was that Boeing thought the 747 would be short-lived as a pax liner, and wanted them all convertible to freighters. The designers thought SSTs would rule the day, and since the 747 was already a huge gamble, wanted to play it safe.)

HanTseng

HanTseng

AE Luver

• 335 posts

User's Awards

21    7    6    3   

Really missed the 747s a lot.

Almost all Asian carriers, including China Airlines and Eva Air, used to fly the 747 across the Pacific. Until they got replaced by the 777-300ER.

post-80164-0-49508800-1518631495.png

BV6atB1.png

vxfPiWg.png

Avelo

Avelo

ae4ever

• 1,328 posts

User's Awards

5    2   

Really missed the 747s a lot.

Almost all Asian carriers, including China Airlines and Eva Air, used to fly the 747 across the Pacific. Until they got replaced by the 777-300ER.

At the very least, Air China and Korean Air have still managed to keep it around...

zortan

zortan

AE Winner

• 2,515 posts

You do realize that BA's so-called "business class" is really nothing more than gussied-up premium economy seats with a little extra stretch and space here and there. And it's a shame they keep billing themselves as a "premium" airline with deteriorating product and service levels that contradict that claim, from the food to the seats--and even the age of their long-haul planes! Quite ironic that Skytrax still rates them as four stars, when in reality what they really provide is no better than three stars, from short-haul economy all the way to first class. Adding insult to injury, I have a feeling that BA would eventually start forcing passengers to pay for food on transatlantic flights in the future, now that Norwegian is gradually taking away its once-dominant market share in that area XP

So true. Their products in general are over-hyped trash

European Business Class, although I've never flew it before, it's not worth the money imo.

So true. All you get is a blocked-off middle seat, free food, and NOTHING else!

At the very least, Air China and Korean Air have still managed to keep it around...

Yes, with the beautiful, efficient, 747-8I. Love it! I'm trying my hardest rn to get onto the KAL 747-8I, but that's not easy. I hear their business class is AMAZING though, with the apex suite.

Marb1

Marb1

Transport and aviation fan

• 1,782 posts

united_747-400_sfo_ord_trip_report_01.jp

I used to fly them around the Pacific, and loved the few times I could get the top deck (I had to rely on upgrades). One flight from HGK-ORD was like being on a private jet. Also, my first ever flight to Europe was on an Air France 747-200 from ORD-ORY (back when there was a smoking section). I will miss them, but they will live on as freighters. (Remember that the reason for the top deck was that Boeing thought the 747 would be short-lived as a pax liner, and wanted them all convertible to freighters. The designers thought SSTs would rule the day, and since the 747 was already a huge gamble, wanted to play it safe.)

Being from Hong Kong, I find that "HGK" very offensive. It's HKG.

Spyrosv

Spyrosv

AE Addict

• 855 posts
Chill dude.

It's really sad to see the 747 retire and even more sad the fact that the 748 is not doing well at all.

zortan

zortan

AE Winner

• 2,515 posts

Chill dude.

It's really sad to see the 747 retire and even more sad the fact that the 748 is not doing well at all.

So true.

Avelo

Avelo

ae4ever

• 1,328 posts

User's Awards

5    2   

So true.

The 777 has cannibalized it, indeed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users