Photo

Turkish Airlines Boeing 787-9

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

WorldWide Ltd. CEO

WorldWide Ltd. CEO

Worldwide International CEO

• 182 posts

Turkish Airlines has finally placed an order for 40 B787-9 aircraft from Boeing, of which 20 are firm and 20 are options. The order is valued at $11BN. Delivery is expected to start in 2019 through to 2023. Boeing is also planning to increase the rate of monthly production of the B787 Dreamliner to 14 sometime next year.

Looks like Turkish Airlines will finally be flying to Australia, although it will have a stopover in Asia; rumours suggest Singapore or Bali. It is also understood that the airline could further expand in Latin America.

The Order, in my opinion, is quite a surprise as just last week Turkish newspaper Hurriyet and Sabah wrote about Turkish Airlines' interest in acquiring 8 Boeing 747-8i aircraft, and it is also interesting to know that an airline which grounded almost 40 aircraft in the Winter season of 2016/17 due to lack of demand following multiple terror attacks and the 2016 Coup attempt, is now in a position to order 40 wide-body planes.

Stevphfeniey

Stevphfeniey

Bad m*****f*****

• 4,249 posts
"Modernizing our dictatorship"

please don't kill us we're just the aquabats

The Best Discord Server

zortan

zortan

AE Winner

• 2,515 posts
Should’ve ordered the queen.

Spyrosv

Spyrosv

AE Addict

• 855 posts

"Modernizing our dictatorship"

Absolutely.

That's a risky move from my point of view although by the time the 787s start to arrive, tourism in Istanbul etc. might be reaching the level it once had. It's one of the most popular destinations worldwide so I wouldn't be surprised to see tourism increasing fast again (if we consider that there won't be any more attacks or something). The 787 is their best bet though. They don't need a plane as large as the 748.

WorldWide Ltd. CEO

WorldWide Ltd. CEO

• 182 posts

Should’ve ordered the queen.

Yeah i would have loved to see TK livery on a B747-8i but THY Chairman Ilker Ayci said that the airline dropped B747 and A380 option and opted for new generation aircraft that was more cost-efficeint such as the B787 and A350. Also read an article earlier this hour stating that hours after signing Boeing deal, THY got in touch with Airbus on the possible order of 40 A350-900XWB aircraft.

Looks like it is going to be an interesting winter for THY.

WorldWide Ltd. CEO

WorldWide Ltd. CEO

• 182 posts

Absolutely.

That's a risky move from my point of view although by the time the 787s start to arrive, tourism in Istanbul etc. might be reaching the level it once had. It's one of the most popular destinations worldwide so I wouldn't be surprised to see tourism increasing fast again (if we consider that there won't be any more attacks or something). The 787 is their best bet though. They don't need a plane as large as the 748.

The first half of 2017 has been good for THY with the number of passengers rising and tourism in Istanbul also on the rise, so like you said unless no attack plagues our beautiful city than ordering 40 787s should be beneficial to Turkish Airlines and Turkish tourism.

WorldWide Ltd. CEO

WorldWide Ltd. CEO

• 182 posts

BTW the B747-8i was intended to replace the B777-300ER on flights were the B77W makes three flights a day

Spyrosv

Spyrosv

AE Addict

• 855 posts

BTW the B747-8i was intended to replace the B777-300ER on flights were the B77W makes three flights a day

That would be a reasonable move but eventually they might be replaced by the next-gen aircraft.

WorldWide Ltd. CEO

WorldWide Ltd. CEO

• 182 posts

That would be a reasonable move but eventually they might be replaced by the next-gen aircraft.

THY Chairman stated they were no longer interested in superjumbos, hence why they ordered the B787-9

WorldWide Ltd. CEO

WorldWide Ltd. CEO

• 182 posts

UPDATE: Turkish Airline is also looking into ordering as many as 40 A350-900 with a deal to be announced in the future.

snoopy1212

snoopy1212

AE Player

• 37 posts

What a co-incidence!

I just received my last 787 for TK

zortan

zortan

AE Winner

• 2,515 posts

UPDATE: Turkish Airline is also looking into ordering as many as 40 A350-900 with a deal to be announced in the future.

noooooooooo

WorldWide Ltd. CEO

WorldWide Ltd. CEO

• 182 posts

noooooooooo

One friend of mine who lives in Turkey is an expert in Turkish aviation and thats what he told me and some online article states that it isnt clear if the A350-900 enquiry is to see if TK can order from both Airbus and Boeing for wide-body aircrafts or if Turkish Airlines is looking to see if they can acquire the A350 for cheaper than the B787-9 or if Turkish Airline is simpling comparing the prices both manufacturers are offering for their new gen. wide body aircaft.

Hopefully they stick to Boeing but would also be amazing if they also ordered the A350 in addition to the B787-9

zortan

zortan

AE Winner

• 2,515 posts

One friend of mine who lives in Turkey is an expert in Turkish aviation and thats what he told me and some online article states that it isnt clear if the A350-900 enquiry is to see if TK can order from both Airbus and Boeing for wide-body aircrafts or if Turkish Airlines is looking to see if they can acquire the A350 for cheaper than the B787-9 or if Turkish Airline is simpling comparing the prices both manufacturers are offering for their new gen. wide body aircaft.

Hopefully they stick to Boeing but would also be amazing if they also ordered the A350 in addition to the B787-9

i believe you that theyre doing this. I just really want boeing to keep the orders and the market.

WorldWide Ltd. CEO

WorldWide Ltd. CEO

• 182 posts

i believe you that theyre doing this. I just really want boeing to keep the orders and the market.

Boeing will likely keep the order with THY cause they did sign a an agreement yesterday with the Turkish President present at the signing ceremony, plus both sides announced a major strategic framework to align Turkeys aerospace sector with Boeing.

Plus relations with EU arent at the highest at the moment and some Turkish aviation experts believe this would impact any deal with Airbus.

Then again THY has always had a balanced fleet so they could suprise us all and order both the Dreamliner and the A350-900.

Spyrosv

Spyrosv

AE Addict

• 855 posts
As many airlines did (Ethiopian, United, Qatar Airways, American and much more) it's very possible for Turkish to order the A350 too.

WorldWide Ltd. CEO

WorldWide Ltd. CEO

• 182 posts

As many airlines did (Ethiopian, United, Qatar Airways, American and much more) it's very possible for Turkish to order the A350 too.

Hopefully they do and considering that THY has a balanced fleet of both narrow and wide body aircrafts from Airbus and Boeing, its likely they may choose the B787-9 and the A350-900

zortan

zortan

AE Winner

• 2,515 posts

Hopefully they do and considering that THY has a balanced fleet of both narrow and wide body aircrafts from Airbus and Boeing, its likely they may choose the B787-9 and the A350-900

i hope not - 40 more orders for the 787 wouldn't hurt though :)

Spyrosv

Spyrosv

AE Addict

• 855 posts
Same for Airbus.

TNT88

TNT88

Hates Pedo

• 3,458 posts

User's Awards

2    14       71      

Seems like they try to go all Boeing fleet with this order. Especially with the B737MAX8 and MAX9 orders as well for the narrow-body.

Although their main problem is the fact that A321NEO is the best narrow-body aircraft on the market right now. Hence they can't go full Boeing witt 92 of these bad boys on the order.

They also probably try replace A330-200 and A330-300 with the B787-9.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users