Photo

What is this?

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

atnt71eb

atnt71eb

Emperor of AE - Most Trophies, Undefeated. Universally beloved.

• 342 posts

User's Awards

60  Â  63  Â  143  Â  14  Â  3  Â 

I've won this game in past years using only green pax, before I discovered the blue pax strategy. There's an old post from me called "How to win at AE" or something like that, in which I explain how to win as best I knew then. 

Winning without superhubbing is extremely simple. Most people who play this game - most people - have limited geographical knowledge, limited imagination, and bad analytical skills. They tend to pile on the routes to/from cities they've heard of and ignore extremely large - though secondary - cities in foreign countries (i.e. most of the world unless you're a third-culture kid). 

What's more, the game vastly overstates secondary-secondary demand while vastly understating primary-primary demand. This is in some way because of the absence of real connecting flows. LHR-NYC, for example, sees ~10,000 seats daily in real life. It orders of magnitude larger than would be a route like LHR-IND. Yet in this game the differential is nowhere near as big. 

Yet despite all that, players still want to pile on LHR-NYC and ignore markets like IND-VCE, which are far bigger in this game than in real life. 

Players also ignore the price breaks at certain distances (99, 199, 299, 399, 1499, 2999, 5999, 8999mi). Anyone flying a 6,050mi route early in the game is a dullard, yet I see that all the time because at each end of the route are two cities the dullard has heard of. 

I could go on... Just know that I set the old pre-blue pax record in O1 years ago.

atnt71eb

atnt71eb

• 342 posts

User's Awards

I just check VCE-IND, btw. August demand is for 151 Y seats. 

You have to realize how insane that is. There is no way that 151 Hoosiers go to Venice every day, and there's no f*&cking way that 151 residents of a gorgeous and cultured city visit the red wastelands of Indiana daily. 

You have to play to the game.

Airboss777

Airboss777

Just don't mess with me

• 564 posts

User's Awards

20  Â  15  Â  9  Â  2  Â 

Book Siberia, which part of Shhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!  didn't you understand?????

Airboss777

Airboss777

Just don't mess with me

• 564 posts

User's Awards

20  Â  15  Â  9  Â  2  Â 

All Hail the emperor!

Book Siberia

Book Siberia

AE Know It All

• 209 posts

User's Awards

5  Â  3  Â  3  Â   Â 

Book Siberia, which part of Shhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!  didn't you understand?????

I'm sorry, Airboss, I thought there was an implied iiiiiiitttttttt!!!!!!!  a the the end of that Shhhhhhhhhhhhhh  <grin>

lol

zortan

zortan

AE Winner

• 2,515 posts

User's Awards

Â 

I'm sorry, Airboss, I thought there was an implied iiiiiiitttttttt!!!!!!!  a the the end of that Shhhhhhhhhhhhhh  <grin>

lol

:)

Ryan_D96

Ryan_D96

AE Luver

• 266 posts

User's Awards

33  Â   Â 

The route is only 184 miles. Considering there are IFS configs that generate over $500 per pax it is more than feasible he's making a profit. So long as he has a bum on every seat that's a guaranteed $300 per pax easily. So his profit won't be too shabby at all I would imagine. :P

pseudoswede

pseudoswede

Play to win.

• 403 posts

User's Awards

Â  5  Â  3  Â   Â 

and there's no f*&cking way that 151 residents of a gorgeous and cultured city visit the red wastelands of Indiana daily. 

The shrimp cocktail at St. Elmo's is so worth it, though.

zortan

zortan

AE Winner

• 2,515 posts

User's Awards

Â 

The shrimp cocktail at St. Elmo's is so worth it, though.

Hey - don't change the subject here.

Book Siberia

Book Siberia

AE Know It All

• 209 posts

User's Awards

5  Â  3  Â  3  Â   Â 

The route is only 184 miles. Considering there are IFS configs that generate over $500 per pax it is more than feasible he's making a profit. So long as he has a bum on every seat that's a guaranteed $300 per pax easily. So his profit won't be too shabby at all I would imagine. :P

Newsflash, Ryan!  There are IFS configs that generate over $700 per pax.   <Just sayin'>

H2O

H2O

Tired of repetition

• 291 posts

User's Awards

Â   Â 

He is using connecting passengers.

atnt71eb

atnt71eb

• 342 posts

User's Awards

I am not using connecting passengers on my $1 routes; neither am I making several hundred per passenger off of IFS. 

The profit off these routes barely covers - but does cover - the total cost of owning gates/planes, maintenance, and salaries. As BookSiberia hinted, there is a deeper game than short term profits at play. 

Even within that deeper game, there is still a more efficient way to use the aircraft currently flying these routes. 

The key to this game, however, is making the right tradeoffs between efficiency with time and efficiency with resources. 

SirGresley

SirGresley

• 7 posts

I am not using connecting passengers on my $1 routes; neither am I making several hundred per passenger off of IFS. 

The profit off these routes barely covers - but does cover - the total cost of owning gates/planes, maintenance, and salaries. As BookSiberia hinted, there is a deeper game than short term profits at play. 

Even within that deeper game, there is still a more efficient way to use the aircraft currently flying these routes. 

The key to this game, however, is making the right tradeoffs between efficiency with time and efficiency with resources. 

I call BS. You're severely underscoring these costs, as 550 pax buying $1 tickets do not cover the maintenance costs on a 747. 

Therefore, scam IFE and/or IFS must be in play.

atnt71eb

atnt71eb

• 342 posts

User's Awards

Yeah obviously I get more revenue than $1/pax. 

Ryan_D96

Ryan_D96

AE Luver

• 266 posts

User's Awards

33  Â   Â 

Newsflash, Ryan!  There are IFS configs that generate over $700 per pax.   <Just sayin'>

I'm well aware of that... However, bog standard spam IFS will not generate that much. I was simply pointing out that even your most basic spamline would be able to make a decent profit with $1 fares on a route that short.

As for the 'newsflash', just you pipe down son, are you five? Who says that? XD

H2O

H2O

Tired of repetition

• 291 posts

User's Awards

Â   Â 
What pisses me off is when people fly routes from LHR to IST or something like that - LITERALLY AT THE BEGINNING OF THE GAME. Ant dude is right. I know someone who flies routes of the top of their head. Im pretty sure the pax are generated. Who in by the name of f**k would fly to antarctica every day?

Stevphfeniey

Stevphfeniey

Bad m*****f*****

• 4,249 posts
HA! You fools! Everybody knows AE is about having the coolest airline according to my arbitrary standards of excellence! Efficiency is for nerds.

please don't kill us we're just the aquabats

The Best Discord Server

zortan

zortan

AE Winner

• 2,515 posts

User's Awards

Â 

HA! You fools! Everybody knows AE is about having the coolest airline according to my arbitrary standards of excellence! Efficiency is for nerds.

this thread is getting really weird...

Lawesc 😲

Lawesc 😲

AE Addict To-Be

• 11 posts
  • Yahoo ID:No

Lawesc 😲

Lawesc 😲

AE Addict To-Be

• 11 posts
  • Yahoo ID:No

yez. I agree.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users