R0

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

FBoston84

FBoston84

Rising Pilot

• 60 posts

Hi all,

As I said in the title, how do I start a good airline?

I guess I am a relatively new player by means of playing time (on and off for about six months, maybe 1-2 cumulative), and I always have trouble making a good profit when my airline is started. For example, in R0 after two years I still only have $13 Million. I started when R0 started. I have read about this "scam IFS and IFE" for making more money, but I am the kind of person who plays this game thinking about real life problems and solutions. So here is my problem: I do not know how to make good money while having a reputation higher that 70-80. I am also open to shared control as a learning tool.

Thanks,

Fred

Jamesthomeson

Jamesthomeson

Desperate to Fly

• 451 posts
Well, during the startup profit is going to always going to look as if it's falling. One way to make more profit is to make scam IFS as you said, but if you're looking to go realistically which is what I do it's simple.

1. Don't compete with other airlines: if you're trying to make profit at a large airport (ATL, LHR etc.) It's most likely gonna have a lot of other airlines based there and some airlines will go really low on ticket prices just to have the highest market share.

2. Longer routes: I see you're based in the U.S. so it's easier for you to make such routes. I'd consider FLL to DEN a longer route. You should do this because longer routes have higher ticket prices which means more revenue per flight.

3. Always order new aircraft: This is very important because in order to even make money, you need aircraft. You should always order at least one aircraft each time you get on because your profit will go negative a couple of times during the startup phase. So whenever you have the money make sure to order or lease at least one aircraft.

Always have aircraft on order because If I make 100,000 with one 737, then I'm going to make 200,000 with two 737s and then 300,000 with three 737s and so on.
t4lPIvQ.jpgUjfJ0sC.png

FBoston84

FBoston84

Rising Pilot

• 60 posts

Thanks for the advice! I will put it to use right away. As for reputation, how do I max that out?

Airboss777

Airboss777

Just don't mess with me

• 564 posts

User's Awards

15    19    9    2   

The easiest ways to boost reputation, if that's what's important to you, is to pay your staff well, spend a truckload on advertising, & maintain good frequency of routes. Don't worry about On Time Performance - no one seems to be able to max that out.

All that costs money though, & there are a lot of players who are happy paying their staff the bare legal minimum & couldn't care less for advertising. So don't worry about your rank. You can win trophies by either valuation or reputation. So just chose which one you want to focus on.

Without trying to sound condescending or arrogant, the key to having a "really good" airline is simple. Be a really good player. For that, you need practice & experience. Learn, experiment, test, see what works, see what happens when you try something else. Asking questions is good, which you're doing, and just give it time. Respectfully, you can't just walk in & expect to be on par with people who have been playing for years.

This game has many secrets. Don't be dismayed by airlines who go cheap. There are ways to beat them. Longer routes can indeed charge a higher ticket price, but the longer the route, the larger the aircraft you need to make them more cost efficient. A plane like an A320 or B737 makes more on shorter routes (< 500 miles) than longer ones. The ticket price might be less but the number of flights per day is higher. Deployed correctly, & in the right circumstances, you can get a B737 making over $1m a day, not just a mere $100,000. And seriously, even just on average routes & average competition, a 737 making only $100,000 a day is pretty poor. It should be at least 3 times that.

At the start of the game, there's not much happening in the used aircraft market, but don't forget it's there. As the game goes on, there'll be plenty there as players update their fleets or quit & shut down their airlines.

Keep in touch if you need further help.

Michael.

Michael.

Mícheál Ó Ceallaigh

• 215 posts

User's Awards

51    3    5    5      

2. Longer routes: I see you're based in the U.S. so it's easier for you to make such routes. I'd consider FLL to DEN a longer route. You should do this because longer routes have higher ticket prices which means more revenue per flight.

Nope - short is better. Everything else is spot on though.

Thefireset

Thefireset

AE Player

• 84 posts

User's Awards

2    3         

I have some steps you can follow to have a very good start:

1. Open shorts routes with scam IFS and IFE. That will make more money that long haul route.

2. Use scam IFS/IFE like I said at step 1.

3. Pay the "human ressources" at the minimum wage (only 7$ in AE). 

I have some other things that can help but I don't want to reveal them for now. 

bostero2

bostero2

AE Player

• 57 posts

Nope - short is better. Everything else is spot on though.

I guess ir depends where you're based... for instance in Argentina there's not much demand on the shorter routes (domestic) and only a few regional routes have a really good demand. So if you're based in Argentina you've got to look for the long international routes to make some serious money. I may be wrong since I started playing a couple of months ago but from what I could tell that seems to be the case.

Thefireset

Thefireset

AE Player

• 84 posts

User's Awards

2    3         

I think Argentina is not the best place to base an airlines because it's not a country that offert great possiblities of expension. But if you want to do a realistic airlines, no problem you can make longer routes. But i think you can't really go on the top 10 with an airlines in Argentina. To have a huge, profitable airlines, base you airlines in a country like United States, countries in European Union, in China, in India or any other countries that have a huge domestic or short haul market.  

Michael.

Michael.

Mícheál Ó Ceallaigh

• 215 posts

User's Awards

51    3    5    5      

I guess ir depends where you're based... for instance in Argentina there's not much demand on the shorter routes (domestic) and only a few regional routes have a really good demand. So if you're based in Argentina you've got to look for the long international routes to make some serious money. I may be wrong since I started playing a couple of months ago but from what I could tell that seems to be the case.

Yes, you have a point. Forgive my ignorance!. I suppose what I was saying was short haul usually enables better margins but in such cases, short-haul success is difficult. 

zortan

zortan

AE Winner

• 2,515 posts

84154 if you still need help.

Marb1

Marb1

Transport and aviation fan

• 1,782 posts

Hi all,

As I said in the title, how do I start a good airline?

I guess I am a relatively new player by means of playing time (on and off for about six months, maybe 1-2 cumulative), and I always have trouble making a good profit when my airline is started. For example, in R0 after two years I still only have $13 Million. I started when R0 started. I have read about this "scam IFS and IFE" for making more money, but I am the kind of person who plays this game thinking about real life problems and solutions. So here is my problem: I do not know how to make good money while having a reputation higher that 70-80. I am also open to shared control as a learning tool.

Thanks,

Fred

Lol this is called how do i star a really good airline

FBoston84

FBoston84

Rising Pilot

• 60 posts

Typo, but LOL anyway.  :P  :rofl2:

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: R0

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users