Photo

HawaiiFly's Designs

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

N664US

N664US

Taking a break.

• 93 posts

Hello! I'm HawaiiFly (with no successful airlines on AE), and I'm hoping to improve my graphic design skills. Currently in school, I make liveries when I'm not studying or doing homework (which is to say, a lot of the time). While I've always been into airline livery and branding design, I never found any program worthwhile to use. I started off with Microsoft Paint, which I hated so much I have no examples to even post on this website. I then graduated to GIMP, which I've used for the examples I've added below. And thanks to my school, I shall be graduating on to Photoshop within the next week or two, which means I will be spoiled with learning a beautiful program before either ponying up the money for it or losing it forever in the coming years. 

Depending on studying and the amount of work I have to do, it can take anywhere from 24 hours to a week to put out a new livery depending on whether I need to create a new logo for it or not (sorry, I'm not overly creative with logos). If you'd like a livery, feel free to PM me here, and I should be able to give a time estimate on your livery within 24 hours, as well as a brief chat on what you'd like on the livery (nothing too complicated, please. I still have a small knowledge of what I'm doing, which should be decimated once I get Photoshop).  

NALU AIR

I have one successful airline thus far that I have created, which is Nalu Air, a Honolulu-based airline coming from the word nalu meaning "wave" or "surf." It also has some meanings of meditation and contemplation within it, having an air of tranquility. Having started the airline about 6 months ago (and being introduced to graphic design only a few months prior), I have changed the brand rapidly as my ideas for the company change. The below images will serve as a timeline of sorts. 

Experiment 1: Experimenting with Graphic Design (January)

[attachment=18414:rect55813.png]

Credit: JetAbout

As a newcomer, this was my first design. Lines everywhere, no brand significance, rivet lines showing, and an odd colour combination combined to create what I like to call a nightmare storm. This was made using none other than Inkscape. Good job myself, you managed to completely ruin a vector program. This livery (and all its nightmarish cousins) were all locked away in a folder on the corner of my Mac, never to be seen again. That is, until GIMP came along.

Experiment 2: First time with GIMP (February)

[attachment=18416:Nalu-New_Logo-Big.png]

[attachment=18415:Nalu-321.png]

Credit: JetAbout

As February rolled around, I figured it would be best to revise the livery and create something newer, fresher, and simpler, with an actual logo by which to represent the company. Figuring this was Hawaii, I chose a hibiscus flower, and used it liberally in designs, which sparked the first logo in the long chain of logos. I was satisfied with the result for a while, which made me pursue only minor changes here and there to tidy up the flowers here and there and make small alterations. That is, until I found AE.

Experiment 3: Shaders (April)

[attachment=18417:Main Logo.png]

[attachment=18418:Nalu A321.png]

Special thanks to Med for the amazing template!

After starting a new company here, I figured that it was time to create a new livery for the relaunched airline. This worked especially well, with a forum dedicated to livery design. There, I found Med's templates (which are such a wonderful thing to have compared to JetAbout, thanks a million!) as well as Airshark's templates (which I never got because apparently he/she's offline) and began to experiment. This is where things really took off. I have an example of the A321 pictured below, with a completely new livery based off a stylized wave made using parallelograms. I then found the parallelograms were tesselatable, and voilĂ , a geometrically-inspired design that truly represents the airline's name was born. All the lines (especially at the engines) are really jagged and look a bit odd, but that should be fixed when Photoshop comes in the coming days.

Stay tuned for more! I will be making more special liveries as time continues, and may even add a few new airlines to my repertoire. 

ISh4RPm.jpg

bostero2

bostero2

AE Player

• 57 posts
Amazing how you improved, my favorite design is the second one, both the logo and the livery itself are well thought out and well carried out. I think you should consider redoing it with Med's template to see how it works with the added realism of a more photorealistic template. The third one is also nice and the logo is great. Keep it up ;)

Edit: Can't wait to see the new design based on the parallelogram wave :o

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users