Should Registration be closed?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

ziliu

ziliu

• 281 posts

Originally posted by AirCanada

Look here: http://www.giagroup....rline-codes.cfm (Warning: long time to load!) My computer crashed when I tried to copy & paste this this () so I haven't counted them but it sure is quite a few.

What you're forgetting with that though is those airlines are pretty much all in different markets. Here, we don't have all the cities and airports in the world and we have over 2000 registered airlines in 2 major markets: North America and Europe. There may be a bunch of them in Asia but the bulk of AE airlines are in North America and Europe, all flying to the limited number of airports we have.

Yes, exactly, but that is why I suggested adding more cities. :)

ziliu

ziliu

• 281 posts
Agree with juancho to 100%

doug_Or

doug_Or

AE Addict

• Veteran
  • 896 posts

Originally posted by baw887
plus look at the order books for some of the manufacturers especially bombardier and embraer.

Haha. Boo hoo. 3 monthes to get an airplane? Try doing that in the real world!

The number of airlines isn't the problem. The number of cities isn't the problem. We had a fraction as many active airlines in V1, but competition was much more fierce by the end. We are all tryign to grow, and that means more cities, more routes, and more competition for everyone. Its not the fault of "stupid n00bs" that prices have fallen from $900 to $200 on LAS-LAX and most other routes under 300 miles. Its competition. Welcome to reality. We're up agianst real rational (and sometimes irrational humans), not moronic AI set to be stupid so you can feel good about yourself. As Court said, we're are all still fantasicaly profitable compared to the real world airlines.

That being said, I think closing registration would help stop the actios of certain airlines who can no longer use bankruptcy to bolster the coffers.

piercey

piercey

I heart Embraer!

• 1,375 posts
  • Yahoo ID:pierceyohio@sbcglobal.net
6 airlines away from the 1000 mark:(

Crazy764

Crazy764

• 206 posts

Originally posted by doug_Or

Originally posted by baw887
plus look at the order books for some of the manufacturers especially bombardier and embraer.

Haha. Boo hoo. 3 monthes to get an airplane? Try doing that in the real world!

The number of airlines isn't the problem. The number of cities isn't the problem. We had a fraction as many active airlines in V1, but competition was much more fierce by the end. We are all tryign to grow, and that means more cities, more routes, and more competition for everyone. Its not the fault of "stupid n00bs" that prices have fallen from $900 to $200 on LAS-LAX and most other routes under 300 miles. Its competition. Welcome to reality. We're up agianst real rational (and sometimes irrational humans), not moronic AI set to be stupid so you can feel good about yourself. As Court said, we're are all still fantasicaly profitable compared to the real world airlines.

That being said, I think closing registration would help stop the actios of certain airlines who can no longer use bankruptcy to bolster the coffers.

I definitely agree with all that you've said.

If people want this game to be as realistic as possible, they have to remember that in a real capitalist market, there are no limitations set on the number of airlines, etc. Everything is survival of the fittest. If you aren't good enough to survive, you'll go bust. Simple as that.

Let's look at a real world analogy. Badly managed legacy carriers like UA and DL would probably LOVE to pass a new international law that stated no more airlines may be created. But in reality, that will not happen. UA and DL will just have to refine their methods and compete with the new guys (JetBlue, Southwest, etc.). In the end, whoever is better will win.

---------------------------

That being said, I do think adding new cities will solve a lot of problems.

I mean, there's only 5 airports in Canada right now.
And I think only 3 in New Zealand.
And China?!?! It's the fastest growing economy in the world and has one of the fastest growing aviation industries, yet it's missing most of its airports (some cities with populations of 5 to 10 million aren't even in the game)...

[Edited on 6/14/2005 by Crazy764]

piercey

piercey

I heart Embraer!

• 1,375 posts
we hit the 1000 mark:(:):(:):(:P:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

Maestro69

Maestro69

El Original Mod, AE Beta Tester

• AE Moderator
  • 4,010 posts

User's Awards

3    3   
oh well, at least it shows the game is popular and Miller has a great game!!!!! :cool: :cool: :) :)

piercey

piercey

I heart Embraer!

• 1,375 posts
Definatly, this is a hellofalot better than airline tycoon.:P:):cool::)

Volksgrenadier

Volksgrenadier

• 37 posts
  • WLM ID:volksgrenadiers@gmail.com
I voted yes, South America has not so many Airlines, but there are so few airports the best route GRU-GIG now returns less than the half of the income at the begginnig of the game:(

Sunshine Airways CEO

Sunshine Airways CEO

• 568 posts

User's Awards

5    5      

Originally posted by Volksgrenadier
GRU-GIG now returns less than the half of the income at the begginnig of the game:(

LAX-SFO returns way less than it did at the start of the game. But thats how the game goes. Supply and demand.

DevSilv7

DevSilv7

• 52 posts
  • WLM ID:djs50fiftyone@yahoo.com
  • AIM Screen Name:Fifty50baller237
  • Yahoo ID:djs50fiftyone
Im sure as more cities come online people will get more creative with their routes and there will be less competition. The real problem is that people are stuffing themselves into the world's capitals and top major cities and then everyone follows that trend and no one can make money. If we all just spread out then that problem will be solved

Guest_PhuketFokkerAir_*

Guest_PhuketFokkerAir_*
  • Guests

Originally posted by DevSilv7
Im sure as more cities come online people will get more creative with their routes and there will be less competition. The real problem is that people are stuffing themselves into the world's capitals and top major cities and then everyone follows that trend and no one can make money. If we all just spread out then that problem will be solved

Damn right brutha!

Emd2135

Emd2135

• 10 posts

Originally posted by juancho
I seriously doubt AE is at the point where it needs new worlds like WOW, give me a break.

The main issue is the lack of cities. Sure there are a lot with an infinite number of combinations. But that infinite number drops drastically when all you got are crappy 1900D & J31's to start out with.

The main issue is not having enough cities, not the # of newbs!

South America, wow 8-10 cities.
Central America and the Carribean, whatever
Africa is a joke
Asia is a joke
Russia too
China, hello?! Recently China surpased Japan in total passenger per year.

So yes you guys are busy, I know but the real issue is the lack of cities.

For example the busiest airport in Argentina is SABE Aeroparque, not Ezeiza. But in AE it would be impossible to start a serious airline because 95% of the potential destinations are missing, like:

Punta del Este
Cordoba
Mendoza
Bariloche
Ushuaia
Tucuman
Salta
Jujuy
Iguazu
etc.

And this is just one country!

Take a look at this:
http://www.airlineroutemaps.com/

How many of those routes can you duplicate in AE? Most of them you can't, because we're missing cities. That should be the priority, not new worlds!:mad:

& IMHO AE probably could use some help from more developers and people in the industry.

my 2 cents.:(

I totally agree juancho and the rest of the people who said we need more cities. It is not that there are too many airlines, it is that there are not enough cities out there for airlines to use. Plus most of the people want to make it big at the more larger airports (i.e. LAX, JFK, etc). I bet that there are numerous amounts of routes that that some airlines haven't even touched yet, which could lead to some big $$$$ if they began to serve one of the routes. So I voted no. Just my 2 cents:)

dazwalsh

dazwalsh

• 438 posts
guys if you stop and think a bit....you look at the prices on some of the routes (even very busy ones) on ae..now if you was a real world passenger would you pay them prices?...the game is not even touching the point where they should stop letting newbs in but i agree on the above about the need for more cities though there is a lack of them :(

Guest_ACman_*

Guest_ACman_*
  • Guests
YES

[Edited on 6/17/2005 by ACman]

a

a

• 484 posts
  • WLM ID:ross_mcintosh1@hotmail.com
I would say that regestration should be closed so that the coding team don't have 2 continually make a larger server and therefore can spend more time on updates.

g-w-r

g-w-r

Tycoon

• 328 posts
  • WLM ID:graham_w_r@hotmail.com
i agree! more updates, less players

piercey

piercey

I heart Embraer!

• 1,375 posts
Man, you post in threads that have been inactive forever!!!!

Either way, your late to the party. miller has closed registration due to a bug. :o

g-w-r

g-w-r

Tycoon

• 328 posts
  • WLM ID:graham_w_r@hotmail.com
there is ways around it... some people have found out about tricking the system and getting in.

a

a

• 484 posts
  • WLM ID:ross_mcintosh1@hotmail.com
Sorry about that then it's not my fault i was born with no sense of time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users