- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

piercey

piercey

I heart Embraer!

• 1,375 posts
  • Yahoo ID:pierceyohio@sbcglobal.net
I'm on the verge of bankruptcy, I say yes!

That and the airspace is way to crowded!

[Edited on 6/14/2005 by piercey]

Guest_Nathaniel_*

Guest_Nathaniel_*
  • Guests
yes it should, there are WAY to many airlines out here..

950 and climbing is rediculous, it iwll come to a point where the best route you will have is 1 dollar profit if lucky 2 if you keep allowing people in. There is just WAY to many airlines out there, and not needed, this game already had enough at the start the the game, now with 300 more, its just more rediculous.

piercey

piercey

I heart Embraer!

• 1,375 posts
It's gotten so bad for me in florida, I'm thinking about getting out of there and going to south america, which isn't as bad.

baw887

baw887

• 77 posts
i agree with you guys but i think we should wait to see what miller has to say as they might be creating worlds for us so that we dont have to worry so much about competition. but i still voted yes as there are to many airlines. we shouldnt have to try to get long haul flights to beat the newbs.

ziliu

ziliu

• 281 posts
I voted no.

Come on guys, with 344 cities there are 344 * 343 / 2 = 58,996 (!) possible routes in this game, and far from all of these 58,996 routes are unprofitable, its only a matter of finding the profitable ones. Really, the game would not be what it is without some competition. I agree that there is a threshold level on the numbers of airlines above which the game comes unenjoyable, but I don't believe we have reached there yet.

[Edited on 6/14/2005 by ziliu]

baw887

baw887

• 77 posts
plus look at the order books for some of the manufacturers especially bombardier and embraer.

piercey

piercey

I heart Embraer!

• 1,375 posts
ziliu, what have you been smoking, honestly.

Guest_Nathaniel_*

Guest_Nathaniel_*
  • Guests

Originally posted by ziliu
I voted no.

Come on guys, with 344 cities there are 344 * 343 / 2 = 58,996 (!) possible routes in this game, and far from all of these 58,996 routes are unprofitable, its only a matter of finding the profitable ones. Really, the game would not be what it is without some competition. I agree that there is a threshold level on the numbers of airlines above which the game comes unenjoyable, but I don't believe we have reached there yet.

except people crowd in the popular places so you cant make anything out of it..... a lot of the routes you cannot do for a while

miller22 (inactive)

miller22 (inactive)

AE Developer

• AE Developer
  • 607 posts
  • AIM Screen Name:AeProjectManager
You guys all sound like the real airlines...

"Too much competition!!!"

RmTrice

RmTrice

• 255 posts
  • AIM Screen Name:RmTrice07
It should be closed. Too many airlines are charging outrageous ticket prices. It'd terrible how many airlines are in this game. It is very frustrating to see my daily profits go from 558,000 to 485,000 in a matter of hours.

-Jasper-

-Jasper-

• 16 posts

User's Awards

It shouldn't be closed.
It would be too easy playing this game without competition...

miller22 (inactive)

miller22 (inactive)

AE Developer

• AE Developer
  • 607 posts
  • AIM Screen Name:AeProjectManager
Do you realize that airlines operate nowhere near the profit margins you guys do? A 10% profit margin is considered spectacular in the airline industry, and most of you are quintupling that number.

piercey

piercey

I heart Embraer!

• 1,375 posts
28 airlines away from the 1000 mark:(

dazwalsh

dazwalsh

• 438 posts
relax guys i welcome the competition...what we need is more cities not less airlines...cities where beech actualy belong on not the huge routes..or maybe more seats per day on the routes....there is ways to expand it if the need be but at the moment ziliu is correct....no where near the limit yet just find routes!

compuXP

compuXP

• 98 posts
As posted in the general forum, we're thinking up a solution to this problem. I think our best bet is to divide the game up into different "worlds" evenly, so that:

1. Spreads out newbies so they don't affect as many routes in one spot
2. Reduces airspace clutter because it's like playing totally different games, except the forum is the same, etc.
3. It would be easy to add new worlds at any moment.

So if we ever get this thing started it should solve the problem pretty well.

Guest_Nathaniel_*

Guest_Nathaniel_*
  • Guests

Originally posted by -Jasper-
It shouldn't be closed.
It would be too easy playing this game without competition...

THERE IS 975 odd airlines in the game, there is LOTS OF COMPETITION.. how many are there in the real world?

Canadian

Canadian

AE Luver

• 347 posts

Originally posted by miller22
Do you realize that airlines operate nowhere near the profit margins you guys do? A 10% profit margin is considered spectacular in the airline industry, and most of you are quintupling that number.

Do you realize how many cities there are in the real world lol...

I think competition is good, however too much competition isn't a good thing either. It all goes back to the supply and demand curve.

Our demand level is constant, as it is programmed in for each city. But right now, we have too much supply, causing the price to go down, along with our profits.

If we had more cities this would not be as much of a problem.

Closing registration may be an option, but lets face it..closing it will only get piles and piles of people whining like little 6 year old kids: "WHEN WILL IT BE OPEN?!!! I WANNA PLAY TOO!!!"

Keeping registration open will only increase the number of airlines, and it will grow exponentially.

Adding more cities make take work but it will spread the competition out a bit more...

As for different games go: Yes that is a good idea, HOWEVER, keep in mind that as it is right now, AE is a very bandwidth-intensive concept. Adding more instances of the program will only multiply the bandwidth usage and we will eventually exceed the bandwidth limit.

So we are at an impasse here. Let's stop arguing about closing registration or keeping it open and throw some more ideas on the table. Miller, what are your suggestions and what do you think of the different worlds idea? How much bandwidth have we got to work with and how hard is it to add on more cities?

ziliu

ziliu

• 281 posts

Originally posted by piercey
ziliu, what have you been smoking, honestly.

Now that was an unnecessary personal insult that I believe shouldn't be tolerated on these forums.

Originally posted by dazwalsh
relax guys i welcome the competition...what we need is more cities not less airlines...cities where beech actualy belong on not the huge routes..or maybe more seats per day on the routes....there is ways to expand it if the need be but at the moment ziliu is correct....no where near the limit yet just find routes!

Exactly! If you do think it's too much competition we should add more cities and thus create more market, as it is now only America and Europe has an high enough density of airports to allow for some serious profit. I know it's work to do, but I think it's worth it. Maybe Miller can have somebody helping him out with adding cities? Or maybe he already has?

Originally posted by -Jasper-
It shouldn't be closed.It would be too easy playing this game without competition...

Thank you Jasper! (For being one of the few who have voted no so far :))

Originally posted by compuXP
As posted in the general forum, we're thinking up a solution to this problem. I think our best bet is to divide the game up into different "worlds" evenly, so that:

1. Spreads out newbies so they don't affect as many routes in one spot
2. Reduces airspace clutter because it's like playing totally different games, except the forum is the same, etc.
3. It would be easy to add new worlds at any moment.

So if we ever get this thing started it should solve the problem pretty well.

I'm not totally convinced that this is the best solution. Don't get me wrong, it is a very good idea, but I think that implementing there probably need more man-hours in work to do than to add some more cities, which would solve the problem just as well. But it's not my game, that was just my two cents, you do what you want!

Originally posted by Nathaniel
THERE IS 975 odd airlines in the game, there is LOTS OF COMPETITION.. how many are there in the real world?

Look here: http://www.giagroup....rline-codes.cfm (Warning: long time to load!) My computer crashed when I tried to copy & paste this this (:)) so I haven't counted them but it sure is quite a few.

Originally posted by miller22
You guys all sound like the real airlines...

"Too much competition!!!"

LOL so true...

Edit: I counted the IATA airline list, and there were 2891 airlines. (No I didn't count them manually if somebody wonders;) )

(btw, maybe the site isn't so trustworthy, aren't the three-letter codes ICAO not IATA? Oh I beat myself there. :P But anyway you get the point, there are more airlines IRL than there are here. And as Miller pointed out, far from every airline is making 50% profit, if they make any profit at all, that is.)

Canadian

Canadian

AE Luver

• 347 posts

Look here: http://www.giagroup....rline-codes.cfm (Warning: long time to load!) My computer crashed when I tried to copy & paste this this () so I haven't counted them but it sure is quite a few.

What you're forgetting with that though is those airlines are pretty much all in different markets. Here, we don't have all the cities and airports in the world and we have over 2000 registered airlines in 2 major markets: North America and Europe. There may be a bunch of them in Asia but the bulk of AE airlines are in North America and Europe, all flying to the limited number of airports we have.

juancho

juancho

• 43 posts
I seriously doubt AE is at the point where it needs new worlds like WOW, give me a break.

The main issue is the lack of cities. Sure there are a lot with an infinite number of combinations. But that infinite number drops drastically when all you got are crappy 1900D & J31's to start out with.

The main issue is not having enough cities, not the # of newbs!

South America, wow 8-10 cities.
Central America and the Carribean, whatever
Africa is a joke
Asia is a joke
Russia too
China, hello?! Recently China surpased Japan in total passenger per year.

So yes you guys are busy, I know but the real issue is the lack of cities.

For example the busiest airport in Argentina is SABE Aeroparque, not Ezeiza. But in AE it would be impossible to start a serious airline because 95% of the potential destinations are missing, like:

Punta del Este
Cordoba
Mendoza
Bariloche
Ushuaia
Tucuman
Salta
Jujuy
Iguazu
etc.

And this is just one country!

Take a look at this:
http://www.airlineroutemaps.com/

How many of those routes can you duplicate in AE? Most of them you can't, because we're missing cities. That should be the priority, not new worlds!:mad:

& IMHO AE probably could use some help from more developers and people in the industry.

my 2 cents.:)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users