Photo

Why can't US legacy airlines have the same great service like the Asians?

• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

Avelo

Avelo

ae4ever

• 1,328 posts

User's Awards

5    2   
So that basically means there's no more room for new airlines in the US, correct?

And also, why is it hard for US legacy airlines to ensure staff consistency?

Stevphfeniey

Stevphfeniey

Bad m*****f*****

• 4,249 posts

So that basically means there's no more room for new airlines in the US, correct?

You try managing 50,000+ people

please don't kill us we're just the aquabats

The Best Discord Server

Tesla

Tesla

Inactive

• 2,392 posts

It doesn't quite mean there isn't room, it is that there is insufficient demand. An airline could start up on this route and completely destroy United by offering massively superior service. Meanwhile, United ducks out. And we are back to square one again, and this airline can now exploit the market like united did

Avelo

Avelo

ae4ever

• 1,328 posts

User's Awards

5    2   

It doesn't quite mean there isn't room, it is that there is insufficient demand. An airline could start up on this route and completely destroy United by offering massively superior service. Meanwhile, United ducks out. And we are back to square one again, and this airline can now exploit the market like united did

Blame Jimmy Carter for creating this mess in our aviation market <_<

KJS607

KJS607

The O.G. Savage

• 3,860 posts

User's Awards

6       3   

America = Lazy

Asia = Hard working mathematics

Simple maths...literally

msg-1341-0-50048700-1680446869_thumb.png

I did a thing: thetravelsavage.com

ffxxmz

ffxxmz

Air Galicia's CEO and future pilot

• 254 posts

+1

RmzvjWC.jpg

Tesla

Tesla

Inactive

• 2,392 posts

:P 

Deregulation of the market was in Jimmy Carter time?

Avelo

Avelo

ae4ever

• 1,328 posts

User's Awards

5    2   

:P
Deregulation of the market was in Jimmy Carter time?

What do you think deregulation of the U.S. airline industry brought us? A lot of trouble! And after a score of new startups tried and failed thereafter, the major airlines began to exploit the lenient policies by merging and merging to the point of becoming too big to be managed effectively and therefore becoming quasi-monopolies in their respective markets :hmmph:

Tesla

Tesla

Inactive

• 2,392 posts

What do you think deregulation of the U.S. airline industry brought us? A lot of trouble! And after a score of new startups tried and failed thereafter, the major airlines began to exploit the lenient policies by merging and merging to the point of becoming too big to be managed effectively and therefore becoming quasi-monopolies in their respective markets :hmmph:

I very much agree. The USA is one of the few places where deregulation that has occurred has had a bad effect

ffxxmz

ffxxmz

• 254 posts
Airline mergers: making people think that deregulation makes airlines succeed since 1978

RmzvjWC.jpg

TNT88

TNT88

Hates Pedo

• 3,458 posts

User's Awards

2    14       71      

Extreme competitions on many US domestic routes. Higher taxes, higher labour cost, higher operating cost, etc. Also, many airlines in Asia started to get killed off by LCC anyway, SQ and CX are downgrading their service to compete with lower fares. In Indonesia, biggest airlines is Lion air, s***ty airlines it is. 

X-Wing @Aliciousness

X-Wing @Aliciousness

I think you'll like them!

• 1,760 posts

I very much agree. The USA is one of the few places where deregulation that has occurred has had a bad effect

Deregulation has had a bad effect? To the contrary, there are significantly more flights at significantly lower prices than ever could have existed while airlines were regulated.

Anyone who says that air travel was better in the past has no idea what they are talking about. Let's take a look at what flying was actually like before de-regulation:

In 1974, it cost about $3,700 adjusted for inflation for a flight from New York to London. This would have been on a DC-10, you'd be served meals and alcohol of course, but the only entertainment would be a projector at the front of the cabin. You'd have slightly more legroom than a modern economy class seat. Oh yeah, the plane would also be filled with cigarette smoke.

In 2018, you can fly from New York to London for $550. Sure, this is on Norwegian Airlines, so no free food or drinks. But you get free Wifi, and the economy seats are still economy seats. Pay $700 and you can fly United, who serve 2 meals and free alcohol in economy, and also have IFE and Wifi. Or, you can pay the same $3,700 and fly in Business class. Where you get a flat bed, probably aisle access, way better food and drinks than you would have ever gotten in economy 30 years ago, and access to the airline lounges. Oh yeah, and of course there's no cigarette smoke, which alone is worth any cost difference.

This doesn't even begin to touch on the fact that there are way more flight options than there used to be, and flights that used to take 36 hours or more door-to-door even 20 years ago are now non-stop flights offered for outrageously cheap prices. 

I've paid less than $500 to fly from the US east coast to Asia. Even 20 years ago, these tickets would have been more than $2,000 for service that was marginally better, and an actual experience that was far worse, with more connections and fewer options for flight times.

So before you say flying used to be better, maybe you should actually research what flying used to be like. The most expensive tickets today, even on monopolized regional flights, are no more expensive than they were when flights were regulated, and airfares as a whole have dropped by over half.

UbxSbIt.png

X-Wing @Aliciousness

X-Wing @Aliciousness

I think you'll like them!

• 1,760 posts

TL;DR De-regulation has turned flying from a once-in-a-lifetime experience for the average person into something they do frequently enough to complain on an internet forum that their soda was warm.

UbxSbIt.png

TNT88

TNT88

Hates Pedo

• 3,458 posts

User's Awards

2    14       71      

Remember people, without the deregulation, 99% of us wouldn't be able to afford to fly today. Think of flying as owning a lambo back in the day.

Marb1

Marb1

Transport and aviation fan

• 1,782 posts

Deregulation has had a bad effect? To the contrary, there are significantly more flights at significantly lower prices than ever could have existed while airlines were regulated.

Anyone who says that air travel was better in the past has no idea what they are talking about. Let's take a look at what flying was actually like before de-regulation:

In 1974, it cost about $3,700 adjusted for inflation for a flight from New York to London. This would have been on a DC-10, you'd be served meals and alcohol of course, but the only entertainment would be a projector at the front of the cabin. You'd have slightly more legroom than a modern economy class seat. Oh yeah, the plane would also be filled with cigarette smoke.

In 2018, you can fly from New York to London for $550. Sure, this is on Norwegian Airlines, so no free food or drinks. But you get free Wifi, and the economy seats are still economy seats. Pay $700 and you can fly United, who serve 2 meals and free alcohol in economy, and also have IFE and Wifi. Or, you can pay the same $3,700 and fly in Business class. Where you get a flat bed, probably aisle access, way better food and drinks than you would have ever gotten in economy 30 years ago, and access to the airline lounges. Oh yeah, and of course there's no cigarette smoke, which alone is worth any cost difference.

This doesn't even begin to touch on the fact that there are way more flight options than there used to be, and flights that used to take 36 hours or more door-to-door even 20 years ago are now non-stop flights offered for outrageously cheap prices. 

I've paid less than $500 to fly from the US east coast to Asia. Even 20 years ago, these tickets would have been more than $2,000 for service that was marginally better, and an actual experience that was far worse, with more connections and fewer options for flight times.

So before you say flying used to be better, maybe you should actually research what flying used to be like. The most expensive tickets today, even on monopolized regional flights, are no more expensive than they were when flights were regulated, and airfares as a whole have dropped by over half.

I think that might be true! In a way I feel lucky I didn't have to deal with this!

Avelo

Avelo

ae4ever

• 1,328 posts

User's Awards

5    2   

I think that might be true! In a way I feel lucky I didn't have to deal with this!

Would it be possible for US legacy airlines to deliver five-star service?

Marb1

Marb1

Transport and aviation fan

• 1,782 posts

Would it be possible for US legacy airlines to deliver five-star service?

Maybe not.

Avelo

Avelo

ae4ever

• 1,328 posts

User's Awards

5    2   

Maybe not.

Why? :/

ffxxmz

ffxxmz

• 254 posts

Why? :/

Because costs and taxes, they should still improve a bit their services but not at the level of the 60's

RmzvjWC.jpg

Avelo

Avelo

ae4ever

• 1,328 posts

User's Awards

5    2   

Because costs and taxes, they should still improve a bit their services but not at the level of the 60's

How come Lufthansa was able to score five stars for service with a highly unionized workforce and expensive labor costs in its home country?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users