Photo

Why can't US legacy airlines have the same great service like the Asians?

• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

X-Wing @Aliciousness

X-Wing @Aliciousness

I think you'll like them!

• 1,760 posts

It seems that convenience trumps quality for Americans nowadays...

If a US carrier flies non-stop, I'm taking them over a stop on an international carrier every time. There isn't an airline in the world with service good enough to justify a connection over a US non-stop.

And also, as others have said, the US carriers are perfectly fine. In economy especially, people have this idea that there are airlines that will feel like business class compared to the US3, and that's simply not the case. Economy blows on every airline. And when it comes to business class, the US carriers are rather competitive.

UbxSbIt.png

Avelo

Avelo

ae4ever

• 1,328 posts

User's Awards

5    2   

If a US carrier flies non-stop, I'm taking them over a stop on an international carrier every time. There isn't an airline in the world with service good enough to justify a connection over a US non-stop.

And also, as others have said, the US carriers are perfectly fine. In economy especially, people have this idea that there are airlines that will feel like business class compared to the US3, and that's simply not the case. Economy blows on every airline. And when it comes to business class, the US carriers are rather competitive.

So how can you explain this: domestic "first class" in reality being nothing more than just tarted-up premium economy seats that don't offer much over economy other than extra legroom and a few, rather basic perks like priority boarding, greater baggage allowance, and "improved" catering. If I'm gonna pay more for premium classes I should expect a better bang for my buck than this...

X-Wing @Aliciousness

X-Wing @Aliciousness

• 1,760 posts

So how can you explain this: domestic "first class" in reality being nothing more than just tarted-up premium economy seats that don't offer much over economy other than extra legroom and a few, rather basic perks like priority boarding, greater baggage allowance, and "improved" catering. If I'm gonna pay more for premium classes I should expect a better bang for my buck than this...

Have you seen European business class? If you think US domestic first is tarted up premium economy, you should see European business class, which is literally economy class seats (And they're worse economy class seats than you get on a US carrier!)

1889645.jpg?v=v40

On top of this, US carriers hand first class out like candy to their Frequent Fliers, whereas in Europe if you want to fly in "business" you have to pay for it.

And as far as the amenities you mention, what more do you want? Domestic first class is really not very expensive on most routes, and it's a significantly better experience than economy. The Asian carriers are not any better on short-haul routes, I can assure you. The only perk is you'll probably get an angled-flat business seat instead of a recliner, but then again these routes in Asia tend to be a lot longer (And a LOT more expensive) than in the US.

Here's a seat map of a Japan Airlines 737-800 compared to an American Airlines 737-800: notice which one is nicer?

Japan_Airlines_Boeing_737-800.jpgAmerican_Airlines_Boeing_737-800_MCE_new

I'll say it again: The Asian carriers are not some utopia where you pay economy class prices and get business class service. In asia, flights are significantly more expensive, and the service in economy is really not much different. While you often get a meal, most Asian airlines do not have Wifi, power outlets, and many planes used on shorter routes have outdated or nonexistent IFE. And for the price difference, you could probably buy out the entire Buy-on-Board menu on a US carrier.

UbxSbIt.png

Avelo

Avelo

ae4ever

• 1,328 posts

User's Awards

5    2   
Perhaps it's because different airlines from different regions cater to different target audiences.

Stevphfeniey

Stevphfeniey

Bad m*****f*****

• 4,249 posts

It seems that convenience trumps quality for Americans nowadays...

Nowadays? Bruh were the country that invented the assembly line, the microwave and the drive-thru at fast food restaraunts. Convenience has always trumped quality.

please don't kill us we're just the aquabats

The Best Discord Server

X-Wing @Aliciousness

X-Wing @Aliciousness

• 1,760 posts

Perhaps it's because different airlines from different regions cater to different target audiences.

Are you even acknowledging what people are saying? Foreign carriers are not necessarily better than US carriers, and every time someone mentions that it seems to be flying directly over your head.

UbxSbIt.png

Avelo

Avelo

ae4ever

• 1,328 posts

User's Awards

5    2   

Are you even acknowledging what people are saying? Foreign carriers are not necessarily better than US carriers, and every time someone mentions that it seems to be flying directly over your head.

Of course I am, but I think there's much more I still don't know about the business models of US legacy airlines.

Pasti

Pasti

Fowl Play

• 1,032 posts

User's Awards

Of course I am, but I think there's much more I still don't know about the business models of US legacy airlines.

Just know this; I've been on every legacy carrier at least once on transatlantic and Eastern US flights, and it's just about convenience for each one. Although longhaul service would obviously be better than shorthaul, same business model; convenience > quality.

Except United they make some damn good turkey sandwiches on shorthaul

siggie3.png

Avelo

Avelo

ae4ever

• 1,328 posts

User's Awards

5    2   

Just know this; I've been on every legacy carrier at least once on transatlantic and Eastern US flights, and it's just about convenience for each one. Although longhaul service would obviously be better than shorthaul, same business model; convenience > quality.

Except United they make some damn good turkey sandwiches on shorthaul

After a series of mishaps with customers recently, I'm NEVER flying with United even though they're the only airline currently flying nonstop between GUA and the NY metro area. XP

bAnderson

bAnderson

Timeless

• 2,139 posts

After a series of mishaps with customers recently, I'm NEVER flying with United even though they're the only airline currently flying nonstop between GUA and the NY metro area. XP

You're letting a few bad eggs poison the bunch. United is a decent airline that can offer you everything you need. If you're a good, normal passenger you will be fine. 

wgOP4y0.jpg

Avelo

Avelo

ae4ever

• 1,328 posts

User's Awards

5    2   

You're letting a few bad eggs poison the bunch. United is a decent airline that can offer you everything you need. If you're a good, normal passenger you will be fine.

If that's the case, what can you say about UA's staff service? IMO Alaska and Delta lead other legacy airlines in that category.

X-Wing @Aliciousness

X-Wing @Aliciousness

• 1,760 posts

If that's the case, what can you say about UA's staff service? IMO Alaska and Delta lead other legacy airlines in that category.

UA's staff aren't always the best, but in general they're friendly and provide good service. I've never flown Alaska, so I can't comment on them, but I do find that Delta's staff are more likely to go above and beyond than United's. 

UbxSbIt.png

dieseltu

dieseltu

AE Luver

• 436 posts

User's Awards

No, your option is to pick another carrier and your expectations don't matter but in your twisted little head . 

Avelo

Avelo

ae4ever

• 1,328 posts

User's Awards

5    2   

No, your option is to pick another carrier and your expectations don't matter but in your twisted little head .

What's your problem? Everyone's entitled to their own opinions

A220

A220

A220 ftw

• 327 posts

Because they're from the US

BV6atB1.jpg

Stevphfeniey

Stevphfeniey

Bad m*****f*****

• 4,249 posts
It's because clearly the Asians superior skill in martial arts, food, mathematics and ping pong over white folks somehow translates to better airlines.

please don't kill us we're just the aquabats

The Best Discord Server

Avelo

Avelo

ae4ever

• 1,328 posts

User's Awards

5    2   

It's because clearly the Asians superior skill in martial arts, food, mathematics and ping pong over white folks somehow translates to better airlines.

That sounds like a good answer

Tesla

Tesla

Inactive

• 2,392 posts

Having seen what I have seen of carriers from 3 different continents, it's a very complicated answer.

So I am summarising it in very general terms.

European Legacy Carriers

• Economy legroom is not great, but alright.
  • Business is a joke, and free upgrades are rare
  • Food is alright but depends on the airline. BA is very inconsistent in this regard. They can be some of the best meals you've ever had or some of the worst. Some legacy airlines like BA charge for food on short haul. Staff vary by airline and region, but incidents like the Mr Dao case are ​very rare
  • ​Pretty much all give free checked baggage or offer a fare with 'free' checked baggage

​Asian Legacy Carriers

• Decent legroom, but not quite enough. Some premium legacy carriers throw in a couple of additional inches as a selling point
  • Business is a genuine upgrade, but upgrades are very hard to come by
  • Staff can be very good, but some are genuine arses
  • Food can be very good, but it is usually mediocre. Food has to be included if it is a legacy airline. otherwise slating on national media occurs.
  • If an airline does not give free checked baggage, it gets slated on national media so they pretty much have to. But they are cutting their allowances a lot

American Legacy Carriers

• Legroom seems tight, but in reality it is similar to almost every other legacy airline in most cases.
  • Upgrades are given out frequently to high tier frequent flyers. First is a noticeable, but questionable upgrade
  • Staff can be nice, but it is highly inconsistent and variable.
  • Free food is non existent on legacy carriers on short haul, and appears not to be great on long haul either.
  • Giving free checked baggage on short haul is considered a selling point, and it is almost non existent on short haul flights. 

American carriers are just behind the curve in both hard and soft product and general efficiency. They are also quite expensive. Asian carriers are generally better in product, mostly because they have to be to avoid poor brand image, and European carriers have to be conscious of customer image, thus most make sure their product is good. Basically, American carriers do not have to worry about image as much, because many of the smaller routes are monopolised.

Avelo

Avelo

ae4ever

• 1,328 posts

User's Awards

5    2   

Having seen what I have seen of carriers from 3 different continents, it's a very complicated answer.

So I am summarising it in very general terms.

European Legacy Carriers

• Economy legroom is not great, but alright.
  • Business is a joke, and free upgrades are rare
  • Food is alright but depends on the airline. BA is very inconsistent in this regard. They can be some of the best meals you've ever had or some of the worst. Some legacy airlines like BA charge for food on short haul. Staff vary by airline and region, but incidents like the Mr Dao case are ​very rare
  • ​Pretty much all give free checked baggage or offer a fare with 'free' checked baggage
​Asian Legacy Carriers
  • Decent legroom, but not quite enough. Some premium legacy carriers throw in a couple of additional inches as a selling point
  • Business is a genuine upgrade, but upgrades are very hard to come by
  • Staff can be very good, but some are genuine arses
  • Food can be very good, but it is usually mediocre. Food has to be included if it is a legacy airline. otherwise slating on national media occurs.
  • If an airline does not give free checked baggage, it gets slated on national media so they pretty much have to. But they are cutting their allowances a lot

American Legacy Carriers
  • Legroom seems tight, but in reality it is similar to almost every other legacy airline in most cases.
  • Upgrades are given out frequently to high tier frequent flyers. First is a noticeable, but questionable upgrade
  • Staff can be nice, but it is highly inconsistent and variable.
  • Free food is non existent on legacy carriers on short haul, and appears not to be great on long haul either.
  • Giving free checked baggage on short haul is considered a selling point, and it is almost non existent on short haul flights.

American carriers are just behind the curve in both hard and soft product and general efficiency. They are also quite expensive. Asian carriers are generally better in product, mostly because they have to be to avoid poor brand image, and European carriers have to be conscious of customer image, thus most make sure their product is good. Basically, American carriers do not have to worry about image as much, because many of the smaller routes are monopolised.
So why can't you just add in competition on smaller monopoly routes?

Tesla

Tesla

Inactive

• 2,392 posts

So why can't you just add in competition on smaller monopoly routes?

I think the legacy carriers have divided the turf there, and there is not enough demand, especially on the REALLY small routes that would not support 2 or ideally even 3 airlines.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users