Photo

Why can't US legacy airlines have the same great service like the Asians?

• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

Avelo

Avelo

ae4ever

• 1,328 posts

User's Awards

5    2   
If you take a look at the title of this topic, that's the question I'm asking myself--you see, none of the major American carriers we know have been winning any awards for outstanding product and service. But on top of that, I also want to know if we can change that so US legacy airlines can once again be serious contenders in the aviation world...

Stevphfeniey

Stevphfeniey

Bad m*****f*****

• 4,249 posts
Because mind your own damn business

please don't kill us we're just the aquabats

The Best Discord Server

EthansInControl

EthansInControl

AE's FE for the 737-500

• 236 posts

User's Awards

Probably because us Americans are more worried about the money than the quality...

Avelo

Avelo

ae4ever

• 1,328 posts

User's Awards

5    2   

Because mind your own damn business

What's your problem? I was only being curious.

Denver.

Denver.

Retired AE Comrade

• 2,042 posts

Americans are more on the money than the quality of service. Even thought not a really great way but I think it suits them. 

u2r8weo.jpg

Founder of National | Founder of Golden | Judge at National Awards 2016 | Member at SkyRoutes Alliance | Member of Universal Alliance | Member of The SkyWorld Alliance | 

NNR

NNR

Beloved, Charred Remains

• 1,203 posts

User's Awards

What's your problem? I was only being curious.

He does this a lot. Some people on this site seem to think because they're experienced, they can just be dicks to anyone who has a question.

If You're Reading This It's Too Late

ffxxmz

ffxxmz

Air Galicia's CEO and future pilot

• 254 posts
Latin airlines are also focused on service. A mexican youtuber made a video in which he flew from Mexico city to Las Vegas. He went with American Airlines and came back with Aeromexico. The ticket costed him $218 plus $25 for one checked bag and $9 more to eat something on the plane. The return flight with Aeromexico costed him $180 and that included a free checked bag and food on board. In general, airline service in Latin America is still good but i heard that Delta and AA are going to reintroduce free food on their longest domestic routes so I think that the airline's frenetic race to the bottom is hopefully coming to an end

RmzvjWC.jpg

ffxxmz

ffxxmz

Air Galicia's CEO and future pilot

• 254 posts
Answering to your question, that's because the owners of airlines in the US are greedy pieces of sh*t and my first comment just proves that

RmzvjWC.jpg

NNR

NNR

Beloved, Charred Remains

• 1,203 posts

User's Awards

Latin airlines are also focused on service. A mexican youtuber made a video in which he flew from Mexico city to Las Vegas. He went with American Airlines and came back with Aeromexico. The ticket costed him $218 plus $25 for one checked bag and $9 more to eat something on the plane. The return flight with Aeromexico costed him $180 and that included a free checked bag and food on board. In general, airline service in Latin America is still good but i heard that Delta and AA are going to reintroduce free food on their longest domestic routes so I think that the airline's frenetic race to the bottom is hopefully coming to an end

iirc Copa do a similar thing to Aeromexico on their flights

Avelo

Avelo

ae4ever

• 1,328 posts

User's Awards

5    2   

iirc Copa do a similar thing to Aeromexico on their flights

So did TACA, the only airline I flew to GUA in my entire lifetime.

Avelo

Avelo

ae4ever

• 1,328 posts

User's Awards

5    2   

Answering to your question, that's because the owners of airlines in the US are greedy pieces of sh*t and my first comment just proves that

A legendary example of capitalism gone toward exploitation and corporate greed.

X-Wing @Aliciousness

X-Wing @Aliciousness

I think you'll like them!

• 1,760 posts

A legendary example of capitalism gone toward exploitation and corporate greed.

I think not offering a free meal with an airline ticket is not really an example of exploitation and corporate greed when companies like Exxon and Nestle exist.

UbxSbIt.png

SirMoo

SirMoo

Rawr?

• 497 posts

I paid $1.30 on Volaris for a cup of coffee. >__>

The thing with US airlines is that they generally have no been considered good from an investment standpoint. Delta is favored right now since it has a dividend... Share holders are wanting more bang for their buck... which means customers are getting less. I'm fine not getting a crappy sandwich on a domestic flight. I'd rather just eat in the terminal and eat what I want as opposed to getting whatever is prepared.

X-Wing @Aliciousness

X-Wing @Aliciousness

• 1,760 posts

If you take a look at the title of this topic, that's the question I'm asking myself--you see, none of the major American carriers we know have been winning any awards for outstanding product and service. But on top of that, I also want to know if we can change that so US legacy airlines can once again be serious contenders in the aviation world...

I know this is a common trope, but I think people who say this have not experienced other carriers or are comparing US Domestic travel to advertisements depicting things like Emirates first class or Singapore Airlines Suites. I think you'll find the differences between like-for-like products on US and Foreign carriers are much more similar than you'd expect.

Flying shorthaul in Asia in my experience is not noticeably better than flying equivalent length routes in the US. For example, I flew Asiana recently, and while they serve a meal in economy class, they don't offer wifi and personal entertainment; things which are ubiquitous on nearly every major US carrier. On top of this, the cabin of the 767 I was in looked like it had come straight out of the 1990s: Tiny overhead bins, ancient seats, and ashtrays in the armrests. Overall I found the experience worse than the United 737 I had been on a few days prior.

Now let's talk longhaul economy: The US carriers are extremely competitive. They serve generally high quality meals, and I believe all of the big 3 US carriers offer free alcohol these days. In general, the US carriers offer some of the most spacious economy layouts on the market, and amenities like AVOD and even WiFi are nearly universally installed on their aircraft.

In business the story is more of the same: United and Delta are some of the only carriers to have lie flat beds fleetwide. For many, this is the most important amenity in Business class, and it's something that even Emirates and Singapore Airlines can't offer. In general, I've found the food service to be competitive as well, and while some airlines outdo them, I'd take a lie-flat seat over better food any day of the week. The US airlines lounges are also hit and miss for sure, though United's new Polaris lounge is one of the best in the world.

In first class, I'll hand it to you: The US carriers are abysmal. Delta don't offer first class at all, and United and American's products are outdated and essentially offer Business class service. However, aside from Denver's made up trip reports, none of us are flying First on a regular basis.

Finally, US airlines reward their frequent flyers better than any other carriers. Free domestic upgrades, free flight changes, benefits with partners like Hotels and rental cars, and some of the most valuable miles for spending on flights.

tl;dr US carries are much more competitive with foreign airlines than many think. I think part of their bad reputation comes from most people only experiencing domestic service on the US carriers while seeing/hearing about the longhaul service on foreign carriers, but also from them seeing the best of what foreign carriers have to offer without seeing the lack of consistency that goes with them.

P.S. This is anecdotal, but the US carriers are often incredibly cheap as well. Right now you can fly from Shanghai to Los Angeles on your choice of Delta, United, or American for less than the price of a flight from Shanghai to Tokyo on ANA or JAL. And the service on DL/UA/AA will be better on that flight than JAL/ANA will be on theirs.

P.P.S. I think it's also important to note the US carriers are all private companies, while pretty much every major Asian/Middle Eastern airline is at least partly if not wholly government owned.

UbxSbIt.png

Avelo

Avelo

ae4ever

• 1,328 posts

User's Awards

5    2   

I know this is a common trope, but I think people who say this have not experienced other carriers or are comparing US Domestic travel to advertisements depicting things like Emirates first class or Singapore Airlines Suites. I think you'll find the differences between like-for-like products on US and Foreign carriers are much more similar than you'd expect.

Flying shorthaul in Asia in my experience is not noticeably better than flying equivalent length routes in the US. For example, I flew Asiana recently, and while they serve a meal in economy class, they don't offer wifi and personal entertainment; things which are ubiquitous on nearly every major US carrier. On top of this, the cabin of the 767 I was in looked like it had come straight out of the 1990s: Tiny overhead bins, ancient seats, and ashtrays in the armrests. Overall I found the experience worse than the United 737 I had been on a few days prior.

Now let's talk longhaul economy: The US carriers are extremely competitive. They serve generally high quality meals, and I believe all of the big 3 US carriers offer free alcohol these days. In general, the US carriers offer some of the most spacious economy layouts on the market, and amenities like AVOD and even WiFi are nearly universally installed on their aircraft.

In business the story is more of the same: United and Delta are some of the only carriers to have lie flat beds fleetwide. For many, this is the most important amenity in Business class, and it's something that even Emirates and Singapore Airlines can't offer. In general, I've found the food service to be competitive as well, and while some airlines outdo them, I'd take a lie-flat seat over better food any day of the week. The US airlines lounges are also hit and miss for sure, though United's new Polaris lounge is one of the best in the world.

In first class, I'll hand it to you: The US carriers are abysmal. Delta don't offer first class at all, and United and American's products are outdated and essentially offer Business class service. However, aside from Denver's made up trip reports, none of us are flying First on a regular basis.

Finally, US airlines reward their frequent flyers better than any other carriers. Free domestic upgrades, free flight changes, benefits with partners like Hotels and rental cars, and some of the most valuable miles for spending on flights.

tl;dr US carries are much more competitive with foreign airlines than many think. I think part of their bad reputation comes from most people only experiencing domestic service on the US carriers while seeing/hearing about the longhaul service on foreign carriers, but also from them seeing the best of what foreign carriers have to offer without seeing the lack of consistency that goes with them.

P.S. This is anecdotal, but the US carriers are often incredibly cheap as well. Right now you can fly from Shanghai to Los Angeles on your choice of Delta, United, or American for less than the price of a flight from Shanghai to Tokyo on ANA or JAL. And the service on DL/UA/AA will be better on that flight than JAL/ANA will be on theirs.

P.P.S. I think it's also important to note the US carriers are all private companies, while pretty much every major Asian/Middle Eastern airline is at least partly if not wholly government owned.

My dad used to fly on AA to GUA before, but I haven't heard anything from him about his experience traveling with them. On the other hand, if I go there sometime in the future, Delta would be my best bet, since they're the only US airline offering seasonal nonstop flights between JFK and GUA at reasonable prices. While I could also consider flying United from EWR, the fact that it's a little further away from where I live just throws me off despite offering cheaper airfares than Delta and operating year-round.

Anyway, is United your favorite airline? If so, why? Just curious...

NNR

NNR

Beloved, Charred Remains

• 1,203 posts

User's Awards

My dad used to fly on AA to GUA before, but I haven't heard anything from him about his experience traveling with them. On the other hand, if I go there sometime in the future, Delta would be my best bet, since they're the only US airline offering seasonal nonstop flights between JFK and GUA at reasonable prices. While I could also consider flying United from EWR, the fact that it's a little further away from where I live just throws me off despite offering cheaper airfares than Delta and operating year-round.

My guess is because of their business class socks. Am I right, Agre?

X-Wing @Aliciousness

X-Wing @Aliciousness

• 1,760 posts

Of the US carriers United is my favorite, though I'd say Air France or Singapore are my favorite carriers overall.

Admittedly I really dislike the middle eastern carriers, but I also think that the US carriers have an unfair reputation. They're definitely not the best carriers in the world, but they're far from the worst, and often better than some of the airlines people hold in high regard *cough* British Airways *cough*.

UbxSbIt.png

Avelo

Avelo

ae4ever

• 1,328 posts

User's Awards

5    2   

IMO an airline with forgettable yet sincere service is better than an airline whose FAs have fake smiles and robotic service.

cdz6969

cdz6969

• 6 posts

American carriers aren't subsidized from their government the way many foreign carriers are. They may get tax breaks here and there but they aren't propped up with tax payer money. So they need to focus on profits over quality service and passenger happiness. So we wont see showers, sky bars, or hotel rooms on board with American legacy carriers anytime... Never. 

But to be fair, flying economy with foreign carriers you hardly see the difference. Yes the flight crew is more professional and courteous with the INTL's, but the cloth seats are crap no matter how wide and leg room you get, and your economy class ticket restricts you from the open bar. I haven't taken legacy carriers on long haul flights but I'd imagine it's no better.

Also after taking some short haul flights in Asia, I'd have to say it's much better flying short haul in the US, even with the non legacy carriers like Jet Blue / Virgin America. You get newer planes, soft leather seats, live TV, and they're not cheap on the snacks & drinks (Except for Delta: Asked for a Coke, they opened up the can, filled up a tiny plastic cup with ice. Didn't even give you the full can. Cheap Bastards)

Avelo

Avelo

ae4ever

• 1,328 posts

User's Awards

5    2   

American carriers aren't subsidized from their government the way many foreign carriers are. They may get tax breaks here and there but they aren't propped up with tax payer money. So they need to focus on profits over quality service and passenger happiness. So we wont see showers, sky bars, or hotel rooms on board with American legacy carriers anytime... Never.

But to be fair, flying economy with foreign carriers you hardly see the difference. Yes the flight crew is more professional and courteous with the INTL's, but the cloth seats are crap no matter how wide and leg room you get, and your economy class ticket restricts you from the open bar. I haven't taken legacy carriers on long haul flights but I'd imagine it's no better.

Also after taking some short haul flights in Asia, I'd have to say it's much better flying short haul in the US, even with the non legacy carriers like Jet Blue / Virgin America. You get newer planes, soft leather seats, live TV, and they're not cheap on the snacks & drinks (Except for Delta: Asked for a Coke, they opened up the can, filled up a tiny plastic cup with ice. Didn't even give you the full can. Cheap Bastards)

It seems that convenience trumps quality for Americans nowadays...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users