Photo

basing an airline in a certain city / geographical area?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

EthansInControl

EthansInControl

AE's FE for the 737-500

• 236 posts

User's Awards

Outside of Hawaii and Alaska and certain provinces and cities / disputed territories, Would it be economically smart to have an airline based around a certain state or certain region of the United States, ex: Air Florida, Texasair, or other airlines that stay relatively in an area. Now-a-days most American Airlines are sprawled across the country and besides regional or essential air services, I cannot think of any US based airline sticking to one area.

Thoughts?

rustupid2

rustupid2

A Guy Who Does Stuff

• 138 posts

It depends what you are after. You could most certainly do a successful airline which only had hubs in one state or city, but if you only want to do flights within that state, it isn't going to be a particularly large airline. States like Texas, California and Florida have plenty of busy cities in, and New York City has 3 airports (LGA, EWR ad JFK) on its own, never mind the rest of the state. If you were going to just have hubs in one state though, you might want to try and pick a more central state to make it slightly more realistic. You don't want people having to fly from Denver, to your hub in New York, then go back in pretty much the same direction to somewhere in California. Anywhere in Texas, Denver, Chicago, Indianapolis, and Kansas City might be good choices. 

EDIT: I realised this post was in the real world aviation section of the forum, and my response was consider the game more than anything, but I still think these are things that an airline would have to consider in the real world too. 

bAnderson

bAnderson

Timeless

• 2,139 posts

Silver Airways has kept to itself in Florida, while there are several EAS airlines comitted to a single area. Except for Caifornia or Florida, it doesn't make much sense as if an airline has two close locations (LAX and BUR, for example) it is competing with itself. If there are 500 people per day that want to go to Los Angeles, and the airline also offers flights to Burbank, people are free to take their pick. The airline cannot possibly fill enough planes when the route is basically the same. It works similarly with something like Fort Lauderdale and Miami, Tampa and St. Pete, Charlotte and Concorde, JFK and LGA, JFK and EWR, EWR and LGA, etc. The closer the worse. That's why airlines like United have hubs in Newark, Houston, Denver, Los Angles, and Chicago. None of these are close to eachother geographically.

wgOP4y0.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users