Photo

Would this be considered a spamline?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

ryanklemmer14

ryanklemmer14

• 6 posts

This is the "first" airline I have made in AE (I have made a couple others, but given up almost immediately on them). I've seen alot about spamliners in the forums. Would this be considered one of those?

http://ae31.airline-...o.php?world=ae3

Abhorsen

Abhorsen

• 60 posts

User's Awards

That's a broken link for me. Are you referring to your airline 'Delta' in R6?

ryanklemmer14

ryanklemmer14

• 6 posts

Sorry, I'm still trying to figure this out, as you can tell. and yes I am

ryanklemmer14

ryanklemmer14

• 6 posts

Deleted Post

Edited by ryanklemmer14, 01 March 2017 - 01:36 AM.

ryanklemmer14

ryanklemmer14

• 6 posts

That's a broken link for me. Are you referring to your airline 'Delta' in R6?

http://ae31.airline-...3r6&player=274 

I think that should work

Yoshi

Yoshi

Non-revving since birth

• 164 posts

Yes, without a doubt.

KHCoAFp.jpg
A member of SkyWorld | Former member of "old" Azure
YoshiCraft2011 YouTube channel
#2K11 blog
If you'd like a livery designed, feel free to PM me.
--Yoshi

Airboss777

Airboss777

Just don't mess with me

• 564 posts

User's Awards

15    19    9    2   

I think the definition of "Spamline" is getting a bit wibbly-wobbly. You're certainly flying to a lot of airports, but there's nothing "spammy" about that. That's just a good effort!

Also, only your major airports are terminals & a lot of your domestic destinations are not hubbed. And the utilisation of a lot of the non-terminal gates isn't high. For example, a utilisation rate of 2% where you hold only 1 gate (50 slots) means only 1 flight per week. Nothing Spammy about that.

Above all, I don't know what your fares are.

To my mind, "spamlines" are those that hugely over-supply the default demand, & do it at stupidly low prices like $1 fares. The average player says, "How the hell am I suppose to compete with that - they've ruined it!"

Keep in mind, the "default demand" is only a measure of the green pax. it doesn't include the bluey/purpley ones, which can be significantly higher, (theoretically limitless), depending on the level of hubbed, connecting airports you have (either yourself or in an alliance). And the more connecting pax you have, the more capacity you can, justifiably, put on the route, & the more you can charge them. I don't regard that as spamming - I just call that demand & supply, but I know others disagree. 

But if this is your first successful airline, you're doing very well. Keep up the good work! What's your rank?

HariKari

HariKari

AE Addict To-Be

• 17 posts

User's Awards

Keep in mind, the "default demand" is only a measure of the green pax. it doesn't include the bluey/purpley ones, which can be significantly higher, (theoretically limitless), depending on the level of hubbed, connecting airports you have (either yourself or in an alliance). And the more connecting pax you have, the more capacity you can, justifiably, put on the route, & the more you can charge them. I don't regard that as spamming - I just call that demand & supply, but I know others disagree. 

That's not "supply and demand." You're trying to justify abusing a completely broken 'game' mechanic to a player that doesn't really understand how shady that is.

If I suddenly added a ton of flights IRL that cost 2-3x+ the going rate of every other competitor, regardless of service, I wouldn't suddenly be minting new passengers out of thin air, much less ones willing to pay absurd rates to connect a bunch of times inside my network. Connecting passengers are more price sensitive, not less. AE is completely broken in that regard. If you want to monetize your "theoretically limitless" passengers inside the fundamentally flawed world of AE, by all means, but don't try to justify it as being a wholesome reflection of market behavior. It's not. You are inventing your own supply that other players cannot compete with in any meaningful way. There's nothing at play in that scenario beyond your ability to acquire more airframes to put on your spamline. This behavior is a byproduct of the broken hub mechanics that I hope get fixed in the future.

This particularly bothers me because on R7 you started a perfectly normal airline that only leased Boeing airplanes, then at some point decided to stop that and turn into a full blown $pamliner, the first one in that world. I was suddenly seeing routes with 3x the going price on them from you. I had, at that point, not even attempted to monetize my connecting passengers and was otherwise playing normally. I had grown into the #1 ranked airline through careful expansion, capital outlay, and constant preening of my routes. I didn't even run scam IFS (still don't) and I paid my employees enough to keep them happy. Now, if I want to keep my top spot, you've completely painted me into a corner by going full spamline. Now the game is effectively between you and me, with other airlines completely oblivious. I'm more than okay with that, but to see you in this thread trying to come off as slick for 'playing' AE in such a manner is disappointing. It's also more than a little weird that you offer to help new players and presumably care about the well-being of the community yet you partake in some of the most cancerous gameplay behavior. 

Ryan has nothing to worry about. He's got this. I hope he never falls to the darkside like you and I. 

Denver.

Denver.

Retired AE Comrade

• 2,042 posts
Yes your airline is a spamline from this point of view.

u2r8weo.jpg

Founder of National | Founder of Golden | Judge at National Awards 2016 | Member at SkyRoutes Alliance | Member of Universal Alliance | Member of The SkyWorld Alliance | 

Abhorsen

Abhorsen

• 60 posts

User's Awards

That's not "supply and demand." You're trying to justify abusing a completely broken 'game' mechanic to a player that doesn't really understand how shady that is.

If I suddenly added a ton of flights IRL that cost 2-3x+ the going rate of every other competitor, regardless of service, I wouldn't suddenly be minting new passengers out of thin air, much less ones willing to pay absurd rates to connect a bunch of times inside my network. Connecting passengers are more price sensitive, not less. AE is completely broken in that regard. If you want to monetize your "theoretically limitless" passengers inside the fundamentally flawed world of AE, by all means, but don't try to justify it as being a wholesome reflection of market behavior. It's not. You are inventing your own supply that other players cannot compete with in any meaningful way. There's nothing at play in that scenario beyond your ability to acquire more airframes to put on your spamline. This behavior is a byproduct of the broken hub mechanics that I hope get fixed in the future.

This particularly bothers me because on R7 you started a perfectly normal airline that only leased Boeing airplanes, then at some point decided to stop that and turn into a full blown $pamliner, the first one in that world. I was suddenly seeing routes with 3x the going price on them from you. I had, at that point, not even attempted to monetize my connecting passengers and was otherwise playing normally. I had grown into the #1 ranked airline through careful expansion, capital outlay, and constant preening of my routes. I didn't even run scam IFS (still don't) and I paid my employees enough to keep them happy. Now, if I want to keep my top spot, you've completely painted me into a corner by going full spamline. Now the game is effectively between you and me, with other airlines completely oblivious. I'm more than okay with that, but to see you in this thread trying to come off as slick for 'playing' AE in such a manner is disappointing. It's also more than a little weird that you offer to help new players and presumably care about the well-being of the community yet you partake in some of the most cancerous gameplay behavior. 

Ryan has nothing to worry about. He's got this. I hope he never falls to the darkside like you and I. 

So much of this post is subjective. You clearly have a way of playing this game that you like, but others also have theirs, and why should they change their ways just to conform to your ideals? The fact of the matter is that as much as some players (myself included) wish this game was more realistic, it is not and if there are better ways of making money how can you expect players going for the win to NOT try to make use of them? It's an honourable cause you fight for, so to speak, but it's a battle that was lost long ago and will remain lost until a very big update of this game. In the meantime, I suggest we all just play the game our own way and let others play it theirs without belittling them for it.

LJ Aviation

LJ Aviation

The Official Dabber of AE

• 321 posts

User's Awards

This airline is far from being a spamline.

If you want to see spamline, look at mine. I just started converting from a normal airline to a spamline, but you can see the direction I am going to. Opening hubs out of nowhere and have absurd fares and frequencies. I might even consider closing all my international routes and focus my nearly 2000 fleet on all domestic spamming. There is pretty much limitless connection passengers if you really try, and you charge them absurd prices, and you do not face any competition.

Btw quick question: if I am spamming a route with hubs and connection passenger (not $1 fare), can someone still compete for my connecting passenger?

PKInW0N.jpgPgdni23.jpg

Pasti

Pasti

Fowl Play

• 1,032 posts

User's Awards

Regular airlines do not dispatch many flights so their gate utilization, you have a lot of planes and even more incoming, and you have a lot of hubs so that's going for you.

Overall yes, you are a spamline.

siggie3.png

Michael.

Michael.

Mícheál Ó Ceallaigh

• 215 posts

User's Awards

51    3    5    5      

Btw quick question: if I am spamming a route with hubs and connection passenger (not $1 fare), can someone still compete for my connecting passenger?

No. On another note, spamming does require thought and planning especially when one operates from a comparatively small country (give that most spam in China, USA or the whole world). It's not simply the art of recklessly dumping aircraft on as many routes as can be found.

SkyMandalorian

SkyMandalorian

AE Player

• 47 posts

No. On another note, spamming does require thought and planning especially when one operates from a comparatively small country (give that most spam in China, USA or the whole world). It's not simply the art of recklessly dumping aircraft on as many routes as can be found.

Actually if someone undercuts your price even if you aren't in the same alliance still you lose the connecting pax on this route, but the person who lowered the price doesn't take them. They just disappear.

Abhorsen

Abhorsen

• 60 posts

User's Awards

Actually if someone undercuts your price even if you aren't in the same alliance still you lose the connecting pax on this route, but the person who lowered the price doesn't take them. They just disappear.

As far as I am aware this is just a glitch in the game where connecting passengers are calculated differently based on if you have manually saved the route or if you batch reset/other airline activity/other reasons. For me it seems like if you just go to the route and re-refresh it, it goes back to normal.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users