• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Avelo

Avelo

ae4ever

• 1,328 posts

User's Awards

5    2   
Abu Dhabi, Antalya, Doha, Dubai, and Istanbul all share one thing in common: they are all popular tourist destinations in the Middle East. But I was just wondering, why wouldn't Antalya attract as much demand as the other four cities for it to become the next global aviation hub? It's centrally located to justify a global hub and could be the best alternative to Istanbul's overcrowded Ataturk Airport, so what else is missing for it to attract long-haul demand? Feel free to comment ☺

Viero

Viero

Data Collector

• 231 posts

User's Awards

I think it's because it's just that, Antalya is largely just a tourist destination. The other four cities you've mentioned have something else that contributes to them being a major destination, already being large cities and financial hubs and the likes, but Antalya's economy is almost exclusively tourism. There's just not enough business flowing through the city for it to be a hub.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Avelo

Avelo

ae4ever

• 1,328 posts

User's Awards

5    2   

I think it's because it's just that, Antalya is largely just a tourist destination. The other four cities you've mentioned have something else that contributes to them being a major destination, already being large cities and financial hubs and the likes, but Antalya's economy is almost exclusively tourism. There's just not enough business flowing through the city for it to be a hub.

Unless the Turkish government decides to invest more into Antalya for it to have greater economic competitiveness...

Mr. Wonderful

Mr. Wonderful

Mr. Wonderful

• Validating
  • 53 posts

Also, other than what was mentioned above, I think that because of Istanbul being close, it makes less sense to have another hub so nearby to a well established existing hub.

Avelo

Avelo

ae4ever

• 1,328 posts

User's Awards

5    2   

Also, other than what was mentioned above, I think that because of Istanbul being close, it makes less sense to have another hub so nearby to a well established existing hub.

Then how can you explain AUH, DOH, and DXB being so close together yet successful?

Denver.

Denver.

Retired AE Comrade

• 2,042 posts
Abu Dhabi and Dubai have been a success cause the government has invested millions in tourism etc. Also since Etihad, and Emirates together touch every place of the globe passengers prefer to have aTransit throught UAE to see all the things.

u2r8weo.jpg

Founder of National | Founder of Golden | Judge at National Awards 2016 | Member at SkyRoutes Alliance | Member of Universal Alliance | Member of The SkyWorld Alliance | 

Avelo

Avelo

ae4ever

• 1,328 posts

User's Awards

5    2   

Abu Dhabi and Dubai have been a success cause the government has invested millions in tourism etc. Also since Etihad, and Emirates together touch every place of the globe passengers prefer to have aTransit throught UAE to see all the things.

If Antalya had better investment in tourism and its own airline, then it would be attracting more passengers globally and would compete against the Gulf's big 3 airlines.

Denver.

Denver.

Retired AE Comrade

• 2,042 posts
Provided Goverment funds were all smother and less privatised.

I would not visit Turkey as of what's happening now. Maybe security should be added to the budget too.

u2r8weo.jpg

Founder of National | Founder of Golden | Judge at National Awards 2016 | Member at SkyRoutes Alliance | Member of Universal Alliance | Member of The SkyWorld Alliance | 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users