Photo

(Major) crashes at your closest (international) airport?

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

Avelo

Avelo

ae4ever

• 1,328 posts

User's Awards

5    2   

At JFK there's that American A300 that lost its rudder and TWA 843, that L1011 that ran off the runway but somehow everyone got out

*cough, cough* AA587...

compton

compton

AE Luver

• 256 posts

User's Awards

5    2    6   

In Indianapolis, we have been fairly accident free. In October 1987 a USAF A-7D Corsair II flew into a Ramada Inn near Indianapolis International. The pilot ejected, but 10 at the hotel were killed. Engine malfunction was the probable cause. 

Also, American Eagle 4184 was flying IND-ORD when it crashed in northwestern Indiana, killing all 68 on Halloween 1994 (Oct. 31.) Was less than three months old when this one occurred.

vZOC42i.png

bAnderson

bAnderson

Timeless

• 2,139 posts

Italicized words are sarcastic and italicized to make sure I don't offend anyone. The crash was tragic and people were killed, and I only make a joke here because if we didn't we'd probably cry.

We Western New Yorkers are proud to call Colgan Air 3407 our favorite hometown crash. 

Seriously, this crash changed how regional airlines operated and was quite important in the current shape of the industry. If that isn't important than the lives both lost and saved by the new requirements are.

wgOP4y0.jpg

kineticcrusher

kineticcrusher

I Am One Of Those Nerds Who Corrects Everyone

• 852 posts

Vancouver International (YVR):

Luckily enough, the airport is really safe and there hasn't been a crash there that's killed a passenger yet, but this is the worst I could find:

On October 19th, 1995, a Canadian Airlines DC-10 overran the runway due to aborting the takeoff after V1 was called. Everyone escaped with only minor injuries.

People are stupid.

zelalemon

zelalemon

immature

• 116 posts

Charlotte Douglas International Airport (CLT):

Eastern Flight 212 (1974): Very foggy, attempting an instrument approach, flew into the ground 3 miles from the airport in a DC-9-31. (72 fatalities, 10 survivors)

USAir Flight 1016 (1994): Another DC-9-31, crashed on approach during a thunderstorm. The crash was attributed to windshear. 37 fatalities, 20 serious injuries.

Air Midwest Flight 5481 (2003): Stall after takeoff in a 1900D, all 21 occupants died. 

CLT, BOS, JFK, LGA, EWR, ALB, BDL, SYR, HPN, EWN, RDU, PHL, ATL, CVG, MCO, DCA, IAD, BWI, MDW, HOU, DFW, PHX, DEN, BZN, FAT, SAN, LAX, BUR, SBA, SFO, SEA, ANC, KOA, MTJ, MBJ, SXM, CUN, PVR, YVR, SJO, JNB, LLW, LGW

A319, A320, A321, A333, A346, B734, B738, B752, B762, CRJ2, CRJ7, CRJ9, E145, E170, E190, DH8B

AWE, AAL, DAL, UAL, SAA, SWA

zortan

zortan

AE Winner

• 2,515 posts

YVR (pretty much none):

1. CP air 707 runway overrun
  2. AC viscount collided with an Ercoupe once. The Ercoupe pilot died, everyone else was OK
  3. An Air North DC-3 crashed once while turning back for an emergency landing
  4. A DC-10 aborted T/O and overran
  5. That's pretty much it - not anything that's a big deal

kineticcrusher

kineticcrusher

I Am One Of Those Nerds Who Corrects Everyone

• 852 posts

YVR (pretty much none):

1. CP air 707 runway overrun
  2. AC viscount collided with an Ercoupe once. The Ercoupe pilot died, everyone else was OK
  3. An Air North DC-3 crashed once while turning back for an emergency landing
  4. A DC-10 aborted T/O and overran
  5. That's pretty much it - not anything that's a big deal

I just did YVR. Maybe you should have posted later.

People are stupid.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users