35 replies to this topic

travelhouse

travelhouse

AE Winner

• Veteran
  • 2,066 posts
  • WLM ID:travelhouse007@gmail.com

But lets not forget a few things things:
1) In real-life Ryanair and many other LCC's make a lot of money form other services like selling food etc, in flight.
2) Something as simple as people not turning up (they made @€40 million from approx 2 millions no-shows (assuming €20 per pax (including taxes and charges)).
2) How many of the seats on an average flight are for that low price 5-10 not the entire flight I can assure you - behind all good* airline website is quite a complex load factor algorithym (spl?) that constantly adjustes the ticket price to ensure that when a flight goes out it is at worst revenue neutral.

So anyway my point is that while in reallife €1 and even €0.01 ticket prices are possble they are only possible due to factors not modelled in this game so the comparrision is null and void.

*By good I mean technically not astheticilly - which by those criteria makes Ryaniars website one of the best.

{edited} DazWalsh just got there before me.

Well you explained it well, as I said in my 1st post on this, I was asked to show in the real world who offers $1 fares, and thats why RyanAir was stated, so really dont care if they go broke or rip off the Irish Govt for funds to keep it active, I have never used them, and will not either, I do have MORE class than some in who I fly with......;)

marbergi

marbergi

• 15 posts

Therefore if in the real world Ryanair (Irish Airline) can make a business with low priced airfares, then its possible in the AE world too.

I actually missed this in your original post otherwise I would have quoted it, and while it's your opinion and your entitled to in in AE no airlines could make a profit consistently charging $1 for their flights.

If you wish to prove me wrong using your analogy that it is possible then why don't you charge $1 on all your routes and let me know how that goes. ;)

TorqueWrench

TorqueWrench

AE Luver

• Veteran
  • 446 posts
Doesnt matter what your "petition" says...

We cant restrict $1 fares, thats the whole point of AE... you *CAN* do what you like... (Within Reason ;))

jackthestrip

jackthestrip

• 160 posts

We cant restrict $1 fares, thats the whole point of AE... you *CAN* do what you like... (Within Reason ;))

Now quit moaning!!!!!
Maverick Airways CEO.

Posted Image Posted Image
Proud member of the Eurowings alliance.
Airline ID 2157

drv4truk

drv4truk

AE Winner

• Veteran
  • 2,273 posts

Wait, you mean we agree on something? :P Much better then what you originally said in the Chat. If a person is making Millions per day, I see no reason for them not to be able to use $1 fares on routes that are overcrowded. Eventually airlines that are losing money will pack it in and leave.

While not $1 ticket prices, look at how the arrival of Southwest at PHL and DEN has impacted the other airlines offering service there. Lower fares draw more passengers. The other airlines will eventually lose enough money so that they decrease the number of frequencies to those cities. That way they can increase the number of occupied seats on those flights.
Posted ImagePosted Image

travelhouse

travelhouse

AE Winner

• Veteran
  • 2,066 posts
hahaha PSA I see you have a route with $0 better make it $1 and all is OK. ;)

marbergi

marbergi

• 15 posts

hahaha PSA I see you have a route with $0 better make it $1 and all is OK. ;)

I dont see the difference between $0 and $1 - cost wise it is negliable, and if you want to quote examples of real life Ryanair have offered seats at $0.00 on occasion so by that $0 here is ok too as if it happens in real life it's ok here.

travelhouse

travelhouse

AE Winner

• Veteran
  • 2,066 posts

I dont see the difference between $0 and $1 - cost wise it is negliable, and if you want to quote examples of real life Ryanair have offered seats at $0.00 on occasion so by that $0 here is ok too as if it happens in real life it's ok here.

Hmmm I think you may want to read what you past posted !!!!

So anyway my point is that while in reallife €1 and even €0.01 ticket prices are possble they are only possible due to factors not modelled in this game so the comparrision is null and void.

Oh well this subject is closed for me, it is OK within reason for AE so End of Post....;)

marbergi

marbergi

• 15 posts
I still stand by my original point, I was however trying to show that if it's ok to use $1 fares based on real life airlines, then the same people should not complain when somebody else put in $0 fares.
I apologies if I didn't make it clear form the start. Personally it doesn't bother me what people charge for their flights as I'am not taking part in the game - I was just pointing out that using the excuse that $1 or less fares occur in real life as a reason to use them here is ficticious. They are only used in AE to drive other's off the route or just to be malicious and anybody claiming otherwise is just fooling themselves.

Atlantic_Air

Atlantic_Air

• 846 posts
im here. count me in.
CEO of Atlantic Airways

drv4truk

drv4truk

AE Winner

• Veteran
  • 2,273 posts

I was just pointing out that using the excuse that $1 or less fares occur in real life as a reason to use them here is ficticious. They are only used in AE to drive other's off the route or just to be malicious and anybody claiming otherwise is just fooling themselves.

And why do you think $1 or any lower fares then the competition, evan at a loss, are used in the real world? To drive the competition off of routes.
Posted ImagePosted Image

Atlantic_Air

Atlantic_Air

• 846 posts
The only airline that I know operates $1 fares is Ryanair.
And they operate from Stanstend to places like Gdansk, where they routes are sometimes free [exl. tax]

from what i know, no other airlines operate this route.

low fares, from over $50 is fine in my head.
CEO of Atlantic Airways

jackthestrip

jackthestrip

• 160 posts
At the end of the day, price dumping is a valuable tool to get some competition off some routes. Any of you guys who have studied business at an advanced level will be aware of ways that you can achieve a market share. One of these ways is knows as a "loss leader". For those that cant understand it I shall explain. A "loss leader" is a product (in this case a route) that opperates at a loss for the benefit of your business. The reasons for this are to create awareness of the product and to achieve a rapid market share.

Now if the route is full of competition, you price dump to rid the route of competiton. Then you can increase prices and make a profit.

It makes perfect business sence and is documented in various Business models. Are you saying that business' in the real world are wrong by doing this? Maybe not in the airline trade but in others. If this is the case then perhaps you could start a petition against that!!!!!!
Maverick Airways CEO.

Proud member of the Eurowings alliance.
Airline ID 2157

AASuper80

AASuper80

American Airlines - 80yrs

• 67 posts
  • AIM Screen Name:x0PapaoX
if you want other airlines to get off your back initiate a fare war:) worked for me in the past and im not afraid to use it again, ill be happy to sacrifice prices on my routes if i need to.

LeipeLimbo

LeipeLimbo

• 492 posts
HM i guess he could start his own fare war .. but what if he's just a small airline who desperately needs every K in DOP to end the AE month with some profit ?? It's easy for a bigger airline to fight back or simply search for another route , the small ones sometimes just cant because they lack the cash :S , so i can understand his frustation . On the other hand .. he can better get used to it , cuz we are going to see much more 1$ fares as the game advances , i'm afraid ;)
Theo ceo Limbo Lines
ID #9350
Posted ImagePosted Image

AASuper80

AASuper80

American Airlines - 80yrs

• 67 posts
  • AIM Screen Name:x0PapaoX
took me three rounds of this game to get to where i am at today without making the same mistake over again ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users