15 Years Later - September the 11th

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

zipp

zipp

POLARIS ALLIANCE #1 FAN

• 3,340 posts

User's Awards

As many of you would know, today marks 15 years since the heinous attacks committed against the United States. It’s around now, 15 years ago, that American Airlines Flight 11 departed Boston Logan Airport, bound for Los Angeles International Airport. United 175 was still at the Gate along with American 77 at Dulles and United 93 at Newark. Tuesday, September the 11th was a pleasant Autumn day, New York Mayoral Primaries were set to be held and Delta Flight Attendants announced an intention to vote on joining a union.

lady_liberty_towers.jpg

8:46.29, the last second of normality for a while. Many workers in the World Trade Center complex were blissfully unaware of the absolute terror that would be unleashed in the next one-hundred and two minutes. At 8:46.30, American Airlines Flight 11 impacted the northern facade of 1 World Trade Center, instantly killing 92 people aboard the Boeing 767 and hundreds of World Trade Center workers and the innocence of an entire nation. Witnesses report that flaming jet fuel was carried by the elevator shafts, burst out into the Sky Lobbies, ground floor lobby and the concourse of The Mall of the World Trade Center. From this point onwards, it would be 17 minutes until United 175 destroyed the southern side of Two World Trade Center, instantly killing everybody on-board the jet and hundreds in the building. It was now that nearly every American began to realize that it was not a terrible event, but rather an act of terror.

911.jpg

The final seconds of United Flight 175 were captured from dozens of different angles and viewed by thousands around the world on live television crosses. The time was now 9:03.02, One World Trade was on fire, American Flight 77 had been hijacked and was enroute back to Washington and United Flight 93 was still flying towards San Francisco. By now, scenes of the devastation were live to almost every corner of the globe and millions watched, lost for words and searching for answers. At 9:37.46 American Flight 77 slammed into the Pentagon killing all 59 passengers and crew as well as 125 in the Pentagon, and United Flight 93 had been hijacked.

PentagonPlanePartLawn_.jpg

After burning for 56 minutes, Two World Trade Center collapsed due to the immense stresses of the impact and the ensuing fire, killing approximately 900 people, including Emergency Services members. Live and unedited, the raw footage and emotions of the collapse was streamed worldwide as New Yorkers fled the speeding grey wall of dust and debris.

wtc2d.jpg

10:03.11 and the struggle for control over United Airlines Flight 93 was over, after a revolt, the selfless actions of the passengers of Flight 93 saved hundreds more from another attack, the Boeing 757 crashed into a field near Shanksville, Pennsylvania.

KTbbf8b.jpg

102 minutes and 1 second after normality ceased to exist, 1 World Trade collapsed, killing 1600 people, including 164 people trapped in Windows of The World, at the 106th & 107th floors, whose desperate phone calls became the voices of September 11. 2,977 people perished in these attacks against the United States and freedom in General.

wtc1a.jpg

Australians awoke to scenes of devastation in the United States and began searching for answers, we looked to our prime minister, John Howard, who was stuck in Washington DC and our fear increased. Nobody could foresee the effect that September 11 would have on Australia and the world, for Australians, it left us in Travel turmoil. Australians rushing to be home with their family arrived at the airport only to find that, Australia’s largest domestic airline and a symbol of national pride, Ansett Australia, had entered into administration leaving thousands stranded.  It was a day that our grandchildren will ask us about, like we asked our grandparents about the War or the assassination of JFK.I dedicate this piece to the 411 emergency service personnel who were killed during the collapse of the World Trade Center and the hundreds more who died in foreign lands in the pursuit of freedom.

This thread is not to discuss theories about the attacks, but rather share stories and remember the fallen.

GcveK9y.png

f5RRaJZ.png

I want my gays illegal and my racism married

namika

namika

*restarting*

• 688 posts

This was a Sad Day. :(

aDarRVC.png

Denver.

Denver.

Retired AE Comrade

• 2,042 posts

You could have let us known of the link you copied this information from. Thank you for reminding. 

u2r8weo.jpg

Founder of National | Founder of Golden | Judge at National Awards 2016 | Member at SkyRoutes Alliance | Member of Universal Alliance | Member of The SkyWorld Alliance | 

NNR

NNR

Beloved, Charred Remains

• 1,203 posts

User's Awards

You could have let us known of the link you copied this information from. Thank you for reminding. 

if I recall correctly, he said he wrote it himself

If You're Reading This It's Too Late

Denver.

Denver.

Retired AE Comrade

• 2,042 posts

The knowledge. 

u2r8weo.jpg

Founder of National | Founder of Golden | Judge at National Awards 2016 | Member at SkyRoutes Alliance | Member of Universal Alliance | Member of The SkyWorld Alliance | 

vsauce

vsauce

travelling at 35 km/h

• 636 posts

User's Awards

The knowledge. 

Lets see yourself attempt to write some original content

On the topic of 11/9, I send my condolences to the families affected by these attack 

09f14b347b.jpg

xjF8rVw.png

zipp

zipp

POLARIS ALLIANCE #1 FAN

• 3,340 posts

User's Awards

The knowledge.

Could you **** off

GcveK9y.png

f5RRaJZ.png

hayhaa

hayhaa

christs sake

• 1,681 posts

User's Awards

May the victims of this hideous attack rest in peace.

eastwind

eastwind

AE Addict

• 858 posts

This was actually very nicely written. 

Adam.Bomb

Adam.Bomb

The user with a past

• 513 posts

We can honor the fallen by preventing an attack like this from ever happening again. We have to maintain the resolve and the poise we saw after these attacks, assuming normality will only bring more death.

SirMoo

SirMoo

Rawr?

• 497 posts

Always fascinated by the pictures.

History had a nifty documentary on 9/10 talking to a bunch of people who were involved including Bush. It's rather fascinating to hear Rumsfeld and Bush's, and even those who were in charge of things in New York at the time... Things like security staff lifting them up off the ground to move them out of situations that they wanted to stay in.

Denver.

Denver.

Retired AE Comrade

• 2,042 posts

Could you **** off

This is a forum to express condolences to the victims of 9/11. This forum is not to express condolences to yourself unless you make another Fourm sending condolences on your birth

u2r8weo.jpg

zipp

zipp

POLARIS ALLIANCE #1 FAN

• 3,340 posts

User's Awards

Always fascinated by the pictures.

History had a nifty documentary on 9/10 talking to a bunch of people who were involved including Bush. It's rather fascinating to hear Rumsfeld and Bush's, and even those who were in charge of things in New York at the time... Things like security staff lifting them up off the ground to move them out of situations that they wanted to stay in.

I watched a really good doco, I can't quite recall what it was called, but it was about the guests of the Marriott World Trade Center. It was quite good.

GcveK9y.png

f5RRaJZ.png

zipp

zipp

POLARIS ALLIANCE #1 FAN

• 3,340 posts

User's Awards

The knowledge. 

Also, the knowledge came from being alive on the day and watching numerous news accounts of the day :huh:

GcveK9y.png

f5RRaJZ.png

Airplane09

Airplane09

AE Know It All

• 163 posts

Very well written! Regarding documentaries, I would also like to add Mayday s16e02, which covers the Pentagon attack quite well.

bAnderson

bAnderson

Timeless

• 2,139 posts

Search on YouTube for "Inside the Towers", it's a documentary that does a great job of telling the stories of the living and the dead.

The story that strikes me the most is the story of Brian Clark and Stanley Praimnath. Neither would have survived if not for the other.

wgOP4y0.jpg

Capt.L1011

Capt.L1011

AE Addict To-Be

• 16 posts

User's Awards

Thank you for posting this. Still very painful after all these years. For me it was day 2 in training after AA took over TWA. Our instructor said "let's pull up FLIFO for flight 11". It's a simple entry "211" , nothing came up. It never ever simply doesn't come up unless something is very wrong. She got on the phone to somewhere and when she got off the phone she could barely speak. We took an early break and went upstairs to the breakroom and it was all over the tv.  The rest of the day is kind of a blurr now. Never Forget.

Stevphfeniey

Stevphfeniey

Bad m*****f*****

• 4,249 posts
It's weird I can remember basically everything I did that day, right down to the brand and kind of oatmeal I had for breakfast that day.

Also damn those terrorists for ruining airport spotting for us.

please don't kill us we're just the aquabats

The Best Discord Server

bAnderson

bAnderson

Timeless

• 2,139 posts

Also damn those terrorists for ruining airport spotting for us.

Same.

wgOP4y0.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users