14 replies to this topic

AirKevin

AirKevin

Air Kevin Captain

• 929 posts
  • WLM ID:AirKevin747@yahoo.com
  • AIM Screen Name:AirKevin747
  • Yahoo ID:AirKevin747
Before anyone runs me down, I want you to know this is a suggestion. I think if possible, make it, so that no 2 airlines can have the same name.

Canadian

Canadian

AE Luver

• 347 posts
I believe that is already implemented...has been for a while now...unless you're talking from the bankruptcy declare screen it might not check for duplicates there...

drv4truk

drv4truk

AE Winner

• Veteran
  • 2,273 posts
I thought that's how it was supposed to work already. But, obviously you can have numerous variations of an airline ie: Air Canada, AirCanada, Air_Canada, Air-Canada, AIRcanada, etc, etc.

doug_Or

doug_Or

AE Addict

• Veteran
  • 896 posts

Originally posted by AirKevin
Well......sure. drv4truk: I think you're referring to Username.

I don't.

Crazy764

Crazy764

• 206 posts
NVM - misread...lol

[Edited on 6/14/2005 by Crazy764]

drv4truk

drv4truk

AE Winner

• Veteran
  • 2,273 posts

Originally posted by AirKevin
Well......sure. drv4truk: I think you're referring to Username.

???

No, I was referring to Airline names. Have you seen how many Northwest Airlines or Air Canadas there are?

Canadian

Canadian

AE Luver

• 347 posts
I'm the only Air Canada right now lol...plus I've got the one with the space, no dashes or other crap :)

Not sure if we can code something like this to check for underscores or what not...unless we code the script so that it interprets all characters other than numbers and letters as spaces, and there can only be one space between each word of the airline name...that would stop it...for example: if someone put Atlantic Airlines and saw its taken, putting Atlantic_Airlines or Atlantic-Airlines or Atlantic Airlines (2 spaces in that last one), the script would interpret all of those as Atlantic Airlines and give the same "airline taken" message... :)

EDIT: Or, I think this may be simpler, though I've forgotten how to do it: simply make the form programmed so that only letters, numbers and spaces are allowed to be entered and no more than 1 space between words...

[Edited on 6/14/2005 by AirCanada]

ziliu

ziliu

• 281 posts
Nah, then AirCanada and Air Canada would still be different names from the game's point of view, wouldn't they?

Isn't if better just to define two airline names the be the same if, and only if :), they are identical when converted to lower-case and had all non-alphabetic symbols and all diacritical marks removed?

Chicken

Chicken

• 291 posts
It sounds like we either live with very similar names of airlines, or we pay Miller to pay someone to look at every airline name and demand a fix.

I vote for very similar names.

compuXP

compuXP

• 98 posts
I don't think we should code that. We want to keep this game as AI (Artificial Intelligence)-free as possible. Plus, that would be a tremendous amount of work for something so insignifigant.

ithboy

ithboy

• 243 posts
  • WLM ID:exposcohen@hotmail.com
  • AIM Screen Name:expo27scohen

Originally posted by compuXP
I don't think we should code that. We want to keep this game as AI (Artificial Intelligence)-free as possible. Plus, that would be a tremendous amount of work for something so insignifigant.

lol, who the hell has time to code for AI :) That would take a proffesional programer what? 20 weeks???

everotheleft

everotheleft

• 43 posts
you could put a little check in the registration script that prevents new users with repeat names registering.

It wouldn't be too hard.

ithboy

ithboy

• 243 posts
  • WLM ID:exposcohen@hotmail.com
  • AIM Screen Name:expo27scohen

Originally posted by everotheleft
you could put a little check in the registration script that prevents new users with repeat names registering.

It wouldn't be too hard.

I thought that was in Version 1. No two airlines had the same name. I know no one could do Pacific Air, AirPacific or have a combination of Air and Pacific (Just those two words) I wonder if that was changed.

miller22 (inactive)

miller22 (inactive)

AE Developer

• AE Developer
  • 607 posts
  • AIM Screen Name:AeProjectManager
Cool new logo, by the way Kevin. Since players deal with other players through airline names and ID's, I think its only appropriate that airline names be unique. It should prevent some confusion.

AirKevin

AirKevin

Air Kevin Captain

• 929 posts
  • WLM ID:AirKevin747@yahoo.com
  • AIM Screen Name:AirKevin747
  • Yahoo ID:AirKevin747
Thanks, Miller.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users