User's Awards

lol

konj1

konj1

whatever

• 562 posts

User's Awards

3       3    3      

lol, "great" again. I'm not sure if there will be Britain to talk about, let alone great. Maybe Britain as a region, just as you can discuss Balkans as a region, being exactly opposite from being a country.

England (+Wales whatever) decided to become Little England. Scotland and Northern Ireland were decidedly pro-EU.

Scotland already promised a new referendum if this happens and their stay in UK was contingent on EU membership, and I don't even want to start thinking what this can do to Northern Ireland if things unravel.

England can also expect years of political turmoil because two big parties are very divided internally, now they'll have to adapt to new reality. I see no thing to be optimistic there.

And that's only politics and geopolitics. From economic standpoint, I haven't seen any good prognosis. Big job creators like Airbus clearly said they don't want this and might pull out, at least partially, if it happens; small businesses can be patriotic and they are entitled to their opinion, but they're not entitled to any real power and amount of money that can change a country, simply short-sighted.

It was all about immigration and political scaremongering, and you can control immigration inside EU just as well as being outside, just as countries like Hungary or Slovakia showed, immigration is more of a British internal problem because UK simply needs foreign workers, and like most developed countries does this despite public sentiment, but obviously even educated people like English are easy to scare with foreigners. 

Speed Bird

Speed Bird

AE Addict

• 866 posts

User's Awards

Yes, we ****ed up our country. Please stop talking about it. I'm embarrassed. 

Mä-Don

Mä-Don

• 1 posts

In the worst case scenario the Brexit is the start of a economic crash, of a real-estate blow off in London and a financial crisis washing away the rest of the british economic values. In 5 to 10 years Rest-Britain will then join back the EU under very common and ordinary conditions (and receiving money for a long time).

In the best case scenario the UK keeps most of the valuable benefits and reglements and might safe some money but is kept out of political power in Brussels ("Oh? Taxation without representation?").

Well done. Very brave on the edge to insanity. Anyhow it was the people! No excuses! No fingerpointing! Direct responsibility! We'll see you..

vsauce

vsauce

travelling at 35 km/h

• 636 posts

User's Awards

Rip British people.

But its a good time to buy your pounds guys ^_^

09f14b347b.jpg

xjF8rVw.png

JP.

JP.

The resident Dutch Belgian

• 1,384 posts

User's Awards

Bye bye Britain :wave:

Well, I would love to get out the European Union aswell. :P

DWA_10_years_sig.png

YAjRqwL.png

Speed Bird

Speed Bird

AE Addict

• 866 posts

User's Awards

Well, I would love to get out the European Union aswell. :P

Idiot. Unequivocal idiot. 

JP.

JP.

The resident Dutch Belgian

• 1,384 posts

User's Awards

Idiot. Unequivocal idiot. 

No, it ruins The Netherlands.

DWA_10_years_sig.png

YAjRqwL.png

konj1

konj1

whatever

• 562 posts

User's Awards

3       3    3      

No, it ruins The Netherlands.

How?

Is open market such a bad thing? Who is actually losing from it? It's impossible to tell, you can only see isolated countries are screwed. So that's very simple in the end.

You can pull out of Euro currency if you want. It's not what EU is about.

Immigration is not an argument, it's used against EU so often but everyone can stop it inside EU if you want it even with open borders, you can re-introduce lower lever controls and expel almost anyone who's unwanted, but immigrants are a life-line for Europe's shrinking population and shrinking economies, but it's easier to hate them than model your policies to have a reasonable system. It's easier to hate and make decisions on fear.

And let's take geopolitics, in EU Netherlands don't have to worry about an open over-complicated border with Belgium, you get keeping Germany from wanting to expand over your territory again, and also with open EU you keep Belgium from splitting and Flemish and Walloon separatism at bay and not getting you in an all-out conflict with France that might make mixed Brussels in ruins like Beirut, all such terrible things you need to dump?

I suppose populists won't be happy until we expel all Muslims and blacks and then start a series of 10 Balkan wars over Europe to last 100 year, everyone against everyone until we lose all economic advantage and someone colonizes us all when we get poorer than Africa. I suppose that's not Idiotic, patriotism and national purity is more important than bull**** concepts like economy and free movement of people.

DWProski

DWProski

AE's (Former) Ambassador to Bosnia

• 403 posts

How?

Is open market such a bad thing? Who is actually losing from it? It's impossible to tell, you can only see isolated countries are screwed. So that's very simple in the end.

You can pull out of Euro currency if you want. It's not what EU is about.

Immigration is not an argument, it's used against EU so often but everyone can stop it inside EU if you want it even with open borders, you can re-introduce lower lever controls and expel almost anyone who's unwanted, but immigrants are a life-line for Europe's shrinking population and shrinking economies, but it's easier to hate them than model your policies to have a reasonable system. It's easier to hate and make decisions on fear.

And let's take geopolitics, in EU Netherlands don't have to worry about an open over-complicated border with Belgium, you get keeping Germany from wanting to expand over your territory again, and also with open EU you keep Belgium from splitting and Flemish and Walloon separatism at bay and not getting you in an all-out conflict with France, all such terrible things you need to dump?

I suppose populists won't be happy until we expel all Muslims and blacks and then start a series of 10 Balkan wars over Europe to last 100 year, everyone against everyone until we lose all economic advantage and someone colonizes us all when we get poorer than Africa. I suppose that's not Idiotic, patriotism and national purity is more important than bull**** concepts like economy and free movement of people.

Yes, because Muslims that were here 200 years ago are immigrants, and they should be expelled in their minds. :whistling:

Only thing I have to say, is good luck.

image.png

Frdm920

Frdm920

Professional Chat Killer

• AE Moderator / Data Collector
  • 558 posts

User's Awards

And let's take geopolitics, in EU Netherlands don't have to worry about an open over-complicated border with Belgium, you get keeping Germany from wanting to expand over your territory again, and also with open EU you keep Belgium from splitting and Flemish and Walloon separatism at bay and not getting you in an all-out conflict with France that might make mixed Brussels in ruins like Beirut, all such terrible things you need to dump?

Sorry but how exactly would Flanders and Walloonia seperating into their own sovereign nations be a bad thing? :huh: The way I'm reading it, it sounds like you'd rather keep two groups of people who don't necessarily like each other all that much lumped into the same country that has a completely disfunctional (and sometimes non-existant) government, also I have no clue why on earth you think that them splitting would result in "all-out conflict with France" pretty sure the French have better things to do with their time than worry about the Flemish...

a0149d3efa.jpg

konj1

konj1

whatever

• 562 posts

User's Awards

3       3    3      

Because you can't separate them without getting at each other's throats when you have a huge issue like mixed Brussels and a few other areas.

If they were divided by a single clear border like Scotland or Slovakia it would be all right, but when you have such a mixed area divisions get you in an incredible amount of resistance and resentment and decades of conflicts and disputes like in Belfast, Strasbourg, Sarajevo, Beirut or Damascus, and ethnic borders ruining the flow of current roads, rail lines etc.

United Europe is the only clear means of preventing a flame-up of such areas all around of Europe. 

Now most nationalists have a common agenda of throwing out non-Europeans, but when you flame up ethnic sentiments conflicts start unraveling, they sooner or later get to "settling" scores with your century-long traditional "enemies" (neighbors).

But with this kind of populist mindless rhetoric, it seems like most people would enjoy a nice war more than annoying peace and tolerance, just because they are bored with their supposed identity loss and jacked up to do any stupid thing, dragged in such thinking by most incompetent politicians who have nothing to offer but want self-promotion and would sell their mother to get to power. -.-

PC Will

PC Will

AE'spolice officer (in training).

• 505 posts

Britain has decided to leave the European Union

and look where its got them.

Discuss

This decision wholeheartedly annoys me.

gallery_7626_9_1537.jpg

MSC Application (Papersift): Passed 08/2015 Written Assessment: Passed 16/10/2015 Interview: Passed 16/10/2015 Fitness test: Passed 16/10/2015 Medical: Passed 16/10/2015 
Vetting: Passed 01/2016  Induction Evening (NSY): Attended 12/02/2016 Training: Completed 07/03/2016 - 11/04/2016 - 24 Day Intensive AttestationCompleted Sunday 12th June
First Shift: Sat 20/08/2016 19:00-04:00

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PC Application: Passed August 2016 Online tests: Passed October 2016 Day 1 Assessment Passed February 2017 Day 2 Assessment Passed April 2017 Vetting Status: Cleared Training intake start date: 30th August 2017
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2016 Retina Macbook Pro w Touchbar 256GB SSD i5 2.9GHZ

Custom built PC:

Corsair Obsidian 750D Full ATX Case
Intel Core i7-6850k Six Core @ 3.6GHZ
ASUS X99 Motherboard
Corsair Hydro H100i V2 CPU Cooler
32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHZ
Gigabyte Nvidia GTX 1080TI 11GB GDDR5X
250GB Samsung 850 Evo Solid State Drive
500GB Samsung 850 Evo Solid State Drive

Adam.Bomb

Adam.Bomb

The user with a past

• 513 posts
Freedom won yesterday. Britain will come back, stronger than ever.

konj1

konj1

whatever

• 562 posts

User's Awards

3       3    3      

Freedom won yesterday. Britain will come back, stronger than ever.

Smaller than ever.

If it will ever be a country named Britain again.

Hake.

Hake.

Too Old For All This Jazz

• 4,295 posts
  • Skype Name:billfoster123

User's Awards

I stayed up to watch the results last night and I must say it disconcerted me quite a bit. It's quite conflicting, to say the least. It is not in my interests to see the UK leave the EU, though it will be extremely interesting to see how it unravels. The UK is a victim of circumstance, this will be a Brexit led by the far right of the Tories - the people who literally wrote the book on how to dismantle the NHS. It is irony that UKIP's Carswell now pretends to support the NHS.

I live in an area quite dependent on the UK. Hundreds are employed on ferries, in ports or by British businesses in the town. A single call centre here employs 200 people, working on behalf of EE - a UK based phone network. My town stands to lose, my county stands to lose. But so on and so forth. I see the UK as a sacrificial lamb to an extent; it's pushed off the bridge but it's going to do great damage to the EU - Denmark; The Netherlands; Austria; Sweden - who's next? This isn't the result the EU needed but it's the result it deserved. This will hopefully kick start some largescale reform in the EU, an end to the neoliberal policy which is plaguing it. This is what I hope will be interesting about it.

As for the individual areas, we may well be about to see a shift in the UK. Scotland did vote emphatically to remain, albeit with quite a low turnout. A second Scottish Independence referendum could be seen from space for the past few years, and this time we may well see a different result. In Northern Ireland, which voted Remain ever so slightly, the parties (except the DUP) have a mandate to support a return to the EU. It is quite likely we'll see another Irish Unity referendum, rejected en masse by the people of the North, but Sinn Féin will never stop trying. Wales was a surprising result for me, I hadn't expected Leave to poll so strongly in the area closest to me in Wales - a 59% Leave vote for an area which depends somewhat on ROI for trade and boosting the economy (although it's fairly terrible there overall).

That's just my opinion. Gibraltar, however, should be expecting a Spanish Inquisition some time soon.

Frdm920

Frdm920

Professional Chat Killer

• AE Moderator / Data Collector
  • 558 posts

User's Awards

This isn't the result the EU needed but it's the result it deserved. This will hopefully kick start some largescale reform in the EU, an end to the neoliberal policy which is plaguing it. This is what I hope will be interesting about it.

I agree this was some time in the making and the UK is the only country where the majority no longer support the EU. The ideals of the EU (or at least some of them) are great, the implementation and practice of them not so much and unless the technocrats sit up and take notice the days of "an ever closer Europe" are numbered.

a0149d3efa.jpg

Hake.

Hake.

Too Old For All This Jazz

• 4,295 posts
  • Skype Name:billfoster123

User's Awards

I agree this was some time in the making and the UK is the only country where the majority no longer support the EU. The ideals of the EU (or at least some of them) are great, the implementation and practice of them not so much and unless the technocrats sit up and take notice the days of "an ever closer Europe" are numbered.

The issue is that no one really wants federalism in Britain (or indeed several European countries) and private sector interference in business is being spearheaded by the EU, which many will of course see as being dangerous and best avoided (See the EU's Rail directives, or Aviation directives) and that TTIP does pose a threat to many ideals which the working classes hold dearly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users