Photo

Why do people spamline?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

Preston

Preston

AE Luver

• 252 posts

Just curious why do people operate spamlines? Just asking not trying to start anything. 

Book Siberia

Book Siberia

AE Know It All

• 209 posts

User's Awards

5    3    3      

Because the bottom line is - how to garner as high a daily operating profit as possible, as quickly as possible, 

So as to climb in rank, acquire more planes and expand routes.

In other words, spamliners are run by hyper-competitive people who love ranking and want very badly to reach the number one spot.  

If you think people operate spamlines because they are bored, you need to think again - a person who operates a highly ranked airline has to spend a significant amount of time managing said airline.

If he or she were the type of person who gets easily bored, they wouldn't be operating a spamline!

Med.

Med.

Professional Lover

• 838 posts

User's Awards

Because the game allows it.

iJIXDA4.png

KmaD8AM.png

Airboss777

Airboss777

Just don't mess with me

• 564 posts

User's Awards

15    19    9    2   

Highly functioning sociopaths.

Will101

Will101

Only Teardrops

• 1,683 posts

It's fun.

muttley44

muttley44

AE Player

• 38 posts

Some appear to have a lack of imagination, some have appear to have a variety of airline type, and are therefore not so, and yes I would find completely tedious. They all ought to get out more, there again that could be aimed at many of us, they are a pain because they do not play my way, and should be banned for the same reason. Or perhaps not, as due to their, in my opinion, spoiling my game, I may have to try and think harder and investigate other avenues. Viva L'difference. 

Red Air Group

Red Air Group

FlippR

• 18 posts

Its unrealistic. Sheesh.

eastwind

eastwind

AE Addict

• 858 posts

Because it's easy and many people can't be bothered to try and challenge themselves with a real airline.

hayhaa

hayhaa

christs sake

• 1,681 posts

User's Awards

I think most people who spamline are unaware that what they're doing is unrealistic. And plus, the game mechanics ensure that most airlines without realistic factors will become spamlines, so people just go along with it.

Book Siberia

Book Siberia

AE Know It All

• 209 posts

User's Awards

5    3    3      

Stomedy, while there are a few that are unaware, the real truth of the matter is that an appreciable majority of spamliners in the game ARE aware that the game is unrealistic - but so what? Most games appeal as a escape from realism! It's still a great game, and is intensely competitive to boot.  AND it's free.

If Yuxi actually wanted a truly realistic airline simulation, it would have happened way before now.  I truly believe that his heart just isn't in it to create that type of game.  But that's just my opinion.

Preston

Preston

AE Luver

• 252 posts

Because it's easy and many people can't be bothered to try and challenge themselves with a real airline.

konj1

konj1

whatever

• 562 posts

User's Awards

3       3    3      

OMG

Some people are taking this way too serious. :)

Talamare

Talamare

AE Player

• 56 posts

I want to know what exactly is "spamline" tho?

I have seen it in relation to someone with a lot of wealth undercutting/overtaxing a location so that people are driven out of business

I have seen it in relation to just making a lot of small lines

Book Siberia

Book Siberia

AE Know It All

• 209 posts

User's Awards

5    3    3      

Think about spamming in the context of emails - if an advertiser sent unsolicited emails to a bunch of people in volume, he or she would be classified as an email spammer.

Fot this game, that idea of spamming was adopted to describe an airline operator who "floods"  routes with enough seats to 100% capture the entire daily demand and does that to such an extent that other players get upset.

However, a spamliner has been expanded to include airlines who play "unrealistically" - things like seat configurations, flying russian planes in the US, charging the maximum prices for the worst quality meals and accessories, acquiring huge fleets that far exceed what real world airlines have ever managed to acquire, paying employees ridiculously low hourly wages,  and a whole list of other things that seem to go on and on.

Some players - a vocal minority (my opinion) - feel so strongly about this that they would love to see players who play that way banned from the game.  

While I personally admire certain airlines that operate profitably as purely realistic airlines, I much prefer the aggressive playstyle and extreme competitiveness that operating as a spamline offers.

Ultimately it's your choice as to exactly how you wish to operate your airline.  You operate as an airline MANAGER - it's your job to operate as successful an airline as you wish (and however you wish to define success - but at a minimum, successful = profitable is job 1 for any airline operator).

Preston

Preston

AE Luver

• 252 posts

Think about spamming in the context of emails - if an advertiser sent unsolicited emails to a bunch of people in volume, he or she would be classified as an email spammer.

Fot this game, that idea of spamming was adopted to describe an airline operator who "floods"  routes with enough seats to 100% capture the entire daily demand and does that to a crazy extent ex. 420y on a route with 69y

However, a spamliner has been expanded to include airlines who play "unrealistically" - things like seat configurations, flying russian planes in the US,  acquiring huge fleets that far exceed what real world airlines have ever managed to acquire  and a whole list of other things that seem to go on and on.

Some players -  would love to see players who play that way banned from the game.  :yes:

I personally admire certain airlines that operate profitably as purely realistic airlines.

You operate as an airline MANAGER - it's your job to operate as successful an airline as you wish (and however you wish to define success - but at a minimum, successful = profitable is job 1 for any airline operator).

couldn't have said it better myself.

Book Siberia

Book Siberia

AE Know It All

• 209 posts

User's Awards

5    3    3      

Preston, you devil, you changed the last part of one of my sentences and that kind of changes what I said.

"For this game, that idea of spamming was adopted to describe an airline operator who "floods"  routes with enough seats to 100% capture the entire daily demand and does that to a crazy extent ex. 420y on a route with 69y"  <- NOT what I said.

So let's look very closely at that part that I did NOT say, but that you seem to think I said:

"ex. 420y on a route with 69y"

On the surface, this looks straightforward.  And yet it isn't necessarially true.  Did you know that more than the daily demand can be 100% filled.  If you kinow how to do it, you never ever have to pay attention to total daily demand.  IT IS POSSIBLE FOR ANY PLAYER TO CAPTURE FAR MORE THAN TOTAL DAILY DEMAND ON THE SAME ROUTE!  (I kid you not)  But in order to discover how, you have to make one key observation.

And what is that key observation, you ask?

(Must I tell you everything? Where is your sense of discovery and exploration? lol)

But seriously - here is the key idea behind the game mechanics:  There are 2 types of passengers, one type you must compete for price-wise, and the other you must position yourself for - notice that I said nothing about COMPETING for this second type of passenger.

Further, both types of passengers can coexist on the same route, and they don't have anything to do with each other.  If you want proof of that, find a route where I am the only airline operating, and start putting up planes at the price initially proffered by the game.  You won't have any problems co-existing with me on that route, no matter how many seats I have on that route.  

Am I exploiting a bug, you might ask?  Absolutely not!  This feature was deliberately designed into the game and exists because those two types of passengers are (indeed, must be) treated differently "game mechanics"-wise!  

Preston

Preston

AE Luver

• 252 posts

Preston, you devil, you changed the last part of one of my sentences and that kind of changes what I said.

"For this game, that idea of spamming was adopted to describe an airline operator who "floods"  routes with enough seats to 100% capture the entire daily demand and does that to a crazy extent ex. 420y on a route with 69y"  <- NOT what I said.

So let's look very closely at that part that I did NOT say, but that you seem to think I said:

"ex. 420y on a route with 69y"

On the surface, this looks straightforward.  And yet it isn't necessarially true.  Did you know that more than the daily demand can be 100% filled.  If you kinow how to do it, you never ever have to pay attention to total daily demand.  IT IS POSSIBLE FOR ANY PLAYER TO CAPTURE FAR MORE THAN TOTAL DAILY DEMAND ON THE SAME ROUTE!  (I kid you not)  But in order to discover how, you have to make one key observation.

And what is that key observation, you ask?

(Must I tell you everything? Where is your sense of discovery and exploration? lol)

But seriously - here is the key idea behind the game mechanics:  There are 2 types of passengers, one type you must compete for price-wise, and the other you must position yourself for - notice that I said nothing about COMPETING for this second type of passenger.

Further, both types of passengers can coexist on the same route, and they don't have anything to do with each other.  If you want proof of that, find a route where I am the only airline operating, and start putting up planes at the price initially proffered by the game.  You won't have any problems co-existing with me on that route, no matter how many seats I have on that route.  

Am I exploiting a bug, you might ask?  Absolutely not!  This feature was deliberately designed into the game and exists because those two types of passengers are (indeed, must be) treated differently "game mechanics"-wise!  

I meant like putting more seats on a route than you could possibly fill ex. 2000y on a flight with 3y demand. I know about connecting pax. Sorry about changing around your post a bit.I just did that to get my point across I wasn't saying what i thought you said.

Guest_Azurose_*

Guest_Azurose_*
  • Guests
It's fun if you own it but you ruin da game

berubium

berubium

AE Luver

• 331 posts

User's Awards

You are some kind of piece of work quoting somebody & then changing their actual quote, but still attributing it to them.  If you ever do that in a professional situation, you could get sued for libel.

I know that this is only forums for a game, but that is really low...

Berubium.png

twkgill

twkgill

AE Player

• 28 posts

If you've got a gold route and it gets spammed, stick with it. Lower your price progressively until it becomes unprofitable for you and exit the route. If there is more than 1 other airline on the route, you can rest easy knowing after you leave they other two are not making much on it either.

That bit is almost fun! 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users