Irkut MS-21 discussion

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

Med.

Med.

Professional Lover

• 838 posts

User's Awards

In recent pictures in the factory, I'm excited about this aircraft taking shape! What do you think? It looks much like the Superjet's big brother!

This airframe is scheduled to roll out June 8 and its first flight is stated at December 2016, coming from an insider.

Y3M2MjY1MzEudmsubWUvdjYyNjUzMTgwNy81MTI1

OFx7or1.jpg

iJIXDA4.png

KmaD8AM.png

LockheedTristar

LockheedTristar

Trijets

• 285 posts

User's Awards

Kinda looks like a copy of the E2 family.

You're an idiot, just cos it's russian doesn't mean it's a copy.

Embraer E2 - announced in 2013

Irkut MS21 - announced in 2008

Do your research before you just spray crap over a thread

LockheedTristar

LockheedTristar

Trijets

• 285 posts

User's Awards

There is no need for name calling, I didn't call you anything. I have never said that the Russians copied it. So just chill.

Yeah I'm sorry I did, I just feel defensive when one of my favourite upcoming airliners is being called copied. Especially when it's not actually being copied. 

Med.

Med.

Professional Lover

• 838 posts

User's Awards

Good god, the thread hasn't even started and you're fighting! Yeah all modern airliners except the a380 and the 747 look like all the other modern airliners to the untrained eye. Manufacturers couldn't care less about aircraft looks as aerodynamics is leading them closer and closer to a perfectly balanced and efficient aircraft which would look plain and boring.

But I'm excited since for the first time in a long time, the A & B duopoly could be challenged by a serious competitor. It's always nice to see new players in the game and old players coming back. I think this going to stand out against the Chinese C919 since the Russians have way more technological experience in aircraft design and manufacturing and they are giving their industry a serious revamp from the old Soviet-era, while the Chinese are plagued with delays relating to having start-up industry.

While A & B are still speculating about developing an MoM and NSA aircraft that would fill the gap left by the 727, 757, 762, A300 and A310, Russia has a clean sheet being assembled right now. The MS-21-400 is larger than the A321 and Russia could champion this market well before A or B can jump in, especially if they make an LR version of it.

The Mexicans love their Superjets and the MS-21 largely shares tech from the Superjet so I don't see why other countries won't like it as well. Let's not forget the SSJ 100 has a bigger order book than the CSeries, E2, ARJ21 and MRJ. Although most orders come from Russia, it terms of units sold, it is only surpassed by the E-jets and the CRJ. I the only thing Russia must improve on now is marketing the aircraft to customers abroad and really providing good after-sales support.

iJIXDA4.png

KmaD8AM.png

hayhaa

hayhaa

christs sake

• 1,681 posts

User's Awards

This looks like if Airbus made an A317. I like it.

JP.

JP.

The resident Dutch Belgian

• 1,384 posts

User's Awards

I don't like it. Those winglets are just screwing up the whole aircraft.

DWA_10_years_sig.png

YAjRqwL.png

DWProski

DWProski

AE's (Former) Ambassador to Bosnia

• 403 posts

rossiya rossiya uber alles :D

image.png

Tesla

Tesla

Inactive

• 2,392 posts
Good idea by Irkut. Just need to make sure it doesnt end up like everything else russian

eastwind

eastwind

AE Addict

• 858 posts

Kinda looks like a copy of the E2 family.

Agree.

Looks like an Ilyushin/Embraer hybrid thing...

NicholaiGaul

NicholaiGaul

Furry Airline Tycoonist of Airline Empires

• 89 posts

You know, even though everybody's already fighting about the MC-21 or MS-21 or whatever you want to call it from Irkut, I'm just going to let my opinion lose on the aircraft.

In my opinion, I'm actually impressed with some of the aircraft the Russians have been making lately, some that are even capable of competing against Western aircraft, like Embraer, Bombardier, Boeing, etc. And with the research I've already done on the MC-21, I'm really looking forward to see this beautiful airliner enter service, as it might be able to compete against the Bombardier C-Series and just maybe against some 737 Next Generation models. I'll be amazed if anyone in either the North American or South American continent would be interested on flying Irkut's MC-21.

uddNEMA.jpg

Frdm920

Frdm920

Professional Chat Killer

• AE Moderator / Data Collector
  • 558 posts

User's Awards

I the only thing Russia must improve on now is marketing the aircraft to customers abroad and really providing good after-sales support.

Well let's hope they also put western avionics in it rather than Russian ones ;) otherwise we'll see a few problems when it goes outside the CIS

a0149d3efa.jpg

TNT88

TNT88

Hates Pedo

• 3,461 posts

User's Awards

2    14       71      

Is it more efficient than A320NEO/A321NEO and B737-8MAX/-9MAX?

Med.

Med.

Professional Lover

• 838 posts

User's Awards

You know, even though everybody's already fighting about the MC-21 or MS-21 or whatever you want to call it from Irkut, I'm just going to let my opinion lose on the aircraft.

In my opinion, I'm actually impressed with some of the aircraft the Russians have been making lately, some that are even capable of competing against Western aircraft, like Embraer, Bombardier, Boeing, etc. And with the research I've already done on the MC-21, I'm really looking forward to see this beautiful airliner enter service, as it might be able to compete against the Bombardier C-Series and just maybe against some 737 Next Generation models. I'll be amazed if anyone in either the North American or South American continent would be interested on flying Irkut's MC-21.

Just a note though, the MS-21 is not designed to compete with the CSeries but rather 737MAX & A320neo. It will have an option for PW1000G geared turbofans or Aviadvigatel PD-14. Aviadvigatel is also in development of a larger geared turbofan engine called the PD18R with a thrust of 180kN-200kN which is in the thrust range of those that power the 757. They say it will be used to re-engine the Il-96 and Il-76 but it gets me thinking, the Russians could be closer than A or B to a tru 757-200 and 757-300 remplacement which is also in the A310 and 762 size bracket.

Well let's hope they also put western avionics in it rather than Russian ones ;) otherwise we'll see a few problems when it goes outside the CIS

True. But Russian avionics doesn't mean they're bad. Customers can and will buy them if it is worth it. And that includes a very good after-sales support. Believe it or not, western aircraft too have Russian suppliers.

Just to visualize the Russian civil aircraft family:

Sukhoi Superjet 100 seats 108 (max) which competes directly against the E175 (E2), E190 (E2), CRJ, An-148/158, MRJ, ARJ21 and CS100

Sukhoi Superjet 130 seats 145 (max) which competes directly against the E195 (E2) and CS300

MS-21-200 seats 176 (max) which is sized between the A319 and A320

MS-21-300 seats 211 (max) which is sized between the A320 and A321

MS-21-400 seats 230 (max) which is larger than the A321. This one also has a larger wingspan and a pair of 4-tire bogeys.

I think this family or aircraft is very well suited to capture a significant chunk of the NB market as the airline industry's trend is leaning towards larger, longer range narrowbodies. More airlines nowadays operate A320/738 and A321/739 combination rather than the A319/73J and A320/738 combination in the past.

Also narrowbodies are well suited to replace the smallest widebodies since comparing the 757-300 vs 762/A310 (aircraft with similar tech and era), the 753 has a whopping 20% fuel efficiency advantage. Boeing's mistake as the 753 came too late to the market.

iJIXDA4.png

KmaD8AM.png

Med.

Med.

Professional Lover

• 838 posts

User's Awards

Is it more efficient than A320NEO/A321NEO and B737-8MAX/-9MAX?

It should be as the MS-21 uses the same engines, also a clean-sheet design. Russians can make great, efficient, aerodynamic aircraft. The area they need to work on is marketing and after-sales support.

iJIXDA4.png

KmaD8AM.png

Frdm920

Frdm920

Professional Chat Killer

• AE Moderator / Data Collector
  • 558 posts

User's Awards

True. But Russian avionics doesn't mean they're bad. Customers can and will buy them if it is worth it. And that includes a very good after-sales support. Believe it or not, western aircraft too have Russian suppliers.

I was mostly thinking about issues regarding different mechanisms with the Atitude Indicator, i.e the problems that caused LX498. Unless that's changed any aircraft using Russian ADIs is going to have problems in the west :P

a0149d3efa.jpg

TNT88

TNT88

Hates Pedo

• 3,461 posts

User's Awards

2    14       71      

It should be as the MS-21 uses the same engines, also a clean-sheet design. Russians can make great, efficient, aerodynamic aircraft. The area they need to work on is marketing and after-sales support.

Because the last article I saw a few years ago said that Irkut claimed that these planes consumed 10% less fuel compared to A320NEO or B737MAX. But this comes from Irkut themselves and hasn't been proven yet.

And I'm really skeptical about it. Anyway, it would be hard for them to sell these plane because of political restrictions (behind the closed doors) and lack of discounts. Also, it's hasn't been proven like B737 or A320.

Med.

Med.

Professional Lover

• 838 posts

User's Awards

Because the last article I saw a few years ago said that Irkut claimed that these planes consumed 10% less fuel compared to A320NEO or B737MAX. But this comes from Irkut themselves and hasn't been proven yet.

And I'm really skeptical about it. Anyway, it would be hard for them to sell these plane because of political restrictions (behind the closed doors) and lack of discounts. Also, it's hasn't been proven like B737 or A320.

While I am skeptical about this claim, I would estimate that this aircraft could be as fuel efficient as the NEO/MAX at best, but still more efficient than the CEO/NG at worst. So this plane is still competitive in fuel economy. This would of course greatly depend on seating configurations and missions flown. Its engines, the PW1000G are already tested and are already flying, so we know the numbers are good.

What this aircraft has yet to prove is dispatch reliability and the support system for parts.

Even the Tu-204 is a technically brilliant aircraft. It just didn't sell well with the airlines since sourcing spare parts would be a headache outside Russia.

iJIXDA4.png

KmaD8AM.png

TNT88

TNT88

Hates Pedo

• 3,461 posts

User's Awards

2    14       71      

It would be interesting since the only market for this plane is Asia and Africa. But the biggest market (China) wouldn't buy this aircraft. I know for a fact that the Chinese Government would block it since they would force airlines to use their own made Comac. And India or Indonesia is a loyal costumer for Boeing and Airbus for at least 20 to 30 years (They bought tons of NEO and MAX) so, it would be hard for them to sell it in this crowded market.

Max Devo

Max Devo

Extra spicy memes

• 363 posts

Aeroflot, Nordwind, and other Russian airlines are definitely buying it, especially since Putin has demanded that Russian airlines start using Russian planes. 

Hopefully this plane along with the SJ100 will be able to break into Europe and North America as well--give Airbus and Boeing something to worry about.

tumblr_nfjii5i0Ky1sorz3uo1_250.jpg

Med.

Med.

Professional Lover

• 838 posts

User's Awards

For sure we will see airlines in Russia operating this. The question is which markets outside Russia will be penetrated by the MS-21. The SSJ100 did well in Mexico and Southeast Asia. Those two are likely candidates for the MS-21. I'm not putting off China yet since Russia and China will be collaborating on a widebody airliner which may share same technologies as the MS-21. Hence it is still possible for airlines in China would be ordering the MS-21 for commonality with the widebody. Europe is also a good market. LCCs and Charter airlines there could use a new large, short-range, narrowbody that is a cheaper alternative to the A320/A321. Alitalia had the SSJ100 on order but they had to cancel due to the recession. Latin America is also a very good market.

iJIXDA4.png

KmaD8AM.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users