Photo

Game Is Too Easy

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

vtbub

vtbub

• 2 posts

I will start this by saying I enjoyed the concept and simplicity Airline Empires offers. Not everyone who wants to be an online tycoon wants to worry about scheduling, maintenance checks, ensuring each snack and drink are a certain quality and what the proper seat pitch is in economy class.

The game wants you to succeed and anyone who pays attention will. I have no problem with that or anyone I competed against.

The main problem I have is it's too easy. In R5, I created an airline that in 12 years was sitting on $19 billion in cash with a healthy fleet of aircraft all company owned. Simply, the airline had reached the point where it could not fail. Even ignoring it for two days couldn't dent my profits enough to cause any worry.

I understand that this isn't supposed to be realistic and laugh when routes with demands of 1-2000 in Economy are met with the supply of 10k. As long as you know that coming in, you can have fun playing the ticket price war. I enjoyed that.

What bothered me most, however, is after you expand to where you are comfortable, there is nothing to do. You simply cannot spend your cash flow. Having planes on the go 20 hours a day makes airlines so strong, they cannot fail.

Although having a game reward you for being smart is good, there has to be some risk involved somewhere. Whether you shorten the available hours per plane or cap route supply at x amount of demand, there needs to be something involved for the player in the mid-late game stages to keep interest. 

Amtran

Amtran

TZ Guru and 757 Fan(atic)

• 436 posts

I think some of us that have been here for awhile have given ourselves self-imposed challenges in running our airlines, to make the game more interesting. For example, running aircraft at 10-12 daily usage, seating configurations based on real-life current/historic seating configurations, etc.

For example, I'm running a US-based airline in one of the 1950s worlds: it's the 80s, and I just upgraded my seating config for my 727-100s from a pre-deregulation seating configuration of 12/92 (pretty close to how they were run then), to a post-deregulation config of 10/105. It's somewhat of a challenge running those on routes from Puerto Rico to Central America and some larger Caribbean destinations, but it's a lot more fun than running an aircraft up to the max once daily to each destination.

Especially in the worlds that start in the 1950s, it can be interesting to run some of the more-obscure aircraft: the same airline mentioned above runs NAMC YS-11s (a Japanese 60-seat turboprop built in the late 60s/early 70s that had some modest success around the world). It's not the most fuel-efficient aircraft, even for its time, but I like going for more obscure choices, again, for the added challenge.

I think the game can be as challenging as you want it to be, but I do agree that there is a point where you end up ignoring your airline because it's running fine. I ignored the above airline through most of the 70s, except to adjust fares.

DWA_Sig_3_12.png

My current active brands:

Nordic, Transbaltika

berubium

berubium

AE Luver

• 331 posts

User's Awards

I agree with Amtran.  If you always just set out to make the biggest & most profitable airline possible, the game can get boring pretty quick, unless that motivates you enough to enjoy the process.  There are so many different ways to play this game if you want to.  Playing a former soviet country & only using soviet or non-american & non-western european aircraft is a fun limit to set for yourself for example...

Berubium.png

Airboss777

Airboss777

Just don't mess with me

• 564 posts

User's Awards

15    19    9    2   

Fair comments all & I would just add to remember that it's just a game. People who actually run realistic airlines (ie, in real life!) do it as a full time job & need to be paid a lot of money to compensate for the stress. So just have fun. As mentioned above, setting yourself challenges or limitations can add interesting twists. Try being the underdog - pick a small, insignificant country & try & build a world-class airline that can get into the top 10.

A lot of people suggest a lot of improvements over time, & I'm sure the developers take note of that & balance it against their wishes for the game.

At the end of the day, remember it's also free.

TNT88

TNT88

Hates Pedo

• 3,458 posts

User's Awards

2    14       71      

Well, in real life, majority of airlines are owned by Government or Shareholders. Most of the profits accumulated by the Airlines are divided amongst parties. In AE, a single person owned and get all the Money and the control from it. This is why we get billions of dollars every time we played. So the system isn't realistic in the first place because we don't gave away those money to other person.

Gevans

Gevans

Above average airline exec.

• 100 posts

One way to slow things down a bit and add more challenge is to increase fuel costs and also the repair costs for airlines that run a lot of different models

CourtingPsych0

CourtingPsych0

Ryan Air - Ceo

• 87 posts

its largely up to you to set your own challenge, 

if you wanted a airline thats maximum profits with little running cost then its the a3 series with all new aircraft otherwise like io do i like going to a large running cost early on to make it abit harder to generate the money to get me to the billions your currently sitting on.

problem you have is once you have the billions there's very little you can do with it apart from buy new terminals and fleets

PC Will

PC Will

AE'spolice officer (in training).

• 505 posts

This has been my point for the last year or two, AE is so easy it's not even challenging for the majority, this is why I no longer operate airlines on AE and instead run them on a certain other airline simulation which although paid, is far more realistic and has far more complexity when it comes to management and features.

My airline is going well there, 5 in the fleet and making around $600,000 profit a week (this is a real time game so one game week is one real week).

Been in operation for 2 and a half months now, I feel this is far closer to real life terms than it is in AE.

gallery_7626_9_1537.jpg

MSC Application (Papersift): Passed 08/2015 Written Assessment: Passed 16/10/2015 Interview: Passed 16/10/2015 Fitness test: Passed 16/10/2015 Medical: Passed 16/10/2015 
Vetting: Passed 01/2016  Induction Evening (NSY): Attended 12/02/2016 Training: Completed 07/03/2016 - 11/04/2016 - 24 Day Intensive AttestationCompleted Sunday 12th June
First Shift: Sat 20/08/2016 19:00-04:00

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PC Application: Passed August 2016 Online tests: Passed October 2016 Day 1 Assessment Passed February 2017 Day 2 Assessment Passed April 2017 Vetting Status: Cleared Training intake start date: 30th August 2017
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2016 Retina Macbook Pro w Touchbar 256GB SSD i5 2.9GHZ

Custom built PC:

Corsair Obsidian 750D Full ATX Case
Intel Core i7-6850k Six Core @ 3.6GHZ
ASUS X99 Motherboard
Corsair Hydro H100i V2 CPU Cooler
32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHZ
Gigabyte Nvidia GTX 1080TI 11GB GDDR5X
250GB Samsung 850 Evo Solid State Drive
500GB Samsung 850 Evo Solid State Drive

TNT88

TNT88

Hates Pedo

• 3,458 posts

User's Awards

2    14       71      

^I would actually love to try that, except that it uses the real time.

Tesla

Tesla

Inactive

• 2,392 posts

^I would actually love to try that, except that it uses the real time.

It gives you more time, unless youre just impatient

TNT88

TNT88

Hates Pedo

• 3,458 posts

User's Awards

2    14       71      

It gives you more time, unless youre just impatient

I am Impatient. If they use real world time. I can't wait 5 years in real life to order and operate A350 in a Game.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users