Photo

Budget pleasance on direct Norwegian LGW-LAX-LGW

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Tesla

Tesla

Inactive

• 2,392 posts
Do you want the good news or the bad news first? Ok, i'll give you the good news first.

Being a low-cost airline, fares on their flights start very low, and rise rapidly as you get closer to the date of travel. Having booked an October flight in May, the mid-range LowFare+ came to approx. £550 per person round trip! This made Norwegian £470 cheaper than Aer Lingus, and an eye-watering £1200 cheaper than Delta. You could upgrade one-way to premium and still be £200 better off! For a roundtrip to Los Angeles!
Legroom is no issue for a normal sized 6ft tall man on Norwegian. The seats are quite thin, and are placed at a pitch of 31-32 inches, (better than British Airways!).
The Low-Fare+ includes your flight, seat reservation, 20kg checked luggage (slightly stingy) and a meal. Cancellation protection can be taken for £9 per person, and you should take it (more on that later). So you get all the initial things you'd expect from a full service airline. Buying these extras separately on the cheaper fare will cost you £25 extra, and is just a pain. Norwegian does tell you to select it if you want them though.
But the best bit is the entertainment system. Being android based, it is easy enough for a 5 year old child to use relatively unaided! The selection of movies is good for everyone except movie-phobes and fussy people. If you don't like that, there is an 8 mile long list of music tracks to listen to if you wish to protect your eyes, from genres from all over the place. Only fussy people will struggle.

However, we now get onto the not so good bits.
The biggest issue is that blankets are not provided unless you pay $5 (£3-4) to borrow them. Remember to bring jackets! Headphones, another $3 (£2). These charges are very easy to sidestep. The other thing is, between the 2 meal services (lunch/dinner and breakfast), the food and drink costs extra, a lot extra. $4 for a chocolate bar, and $10 for a cheese sandwich. At least they'll refill waterbottles for free. That's not an issue. Even Ryanair is cheaper than that on food! And if you forget to pre-order meals, forget it! Bringing extra food (water from filling station after security, not before, food before). The actual
pre-ordered meals are quite hit and miss. On the outbound flight, vegetarians got an unappetizing curry. You get a small starter, a main, a salad, and drinks free of charge during the meal service. There is no WI-FI on the 787 aircraft, which was a bit disappointing. Because of the design of the seats, the 787 was a little louder than normal. The reason is that the seatback is plastic, which absorbs no sound. Some kind of fabric acts as sound-deadening material. Still quiet enough. There was an unfortunate incident for me where I asked for orange juice and the cabin crew brought water instead because of a language barrier. Still, she compensated by bringing the juice also.

All in all, a good flight blemished by a few minor points.

ZA TP Fan

ZA TP Fan

AE Player

• 60 posts

User's Awards

I'm not sure, but those food prices are very reasonable here in Norway, actually. I don't know if the menu is based solely for LGW TATL services, but to be honest, I would certainly not think that they are very expensive here.

FNsig.png

Tesla

Tesla

Inactive

• 2,392 posts

I'm not sure, but those food prices are very reasonable here in Norway, actually. I don't know if the menu is based solely for LGW TATL services, but to be honest, I would certainly not think that they are very expensive here.

The menu is for every single long-haul flight Norwegian operates,

SimplyTommo

SimplyTommo

AE Know It All

• 154 posts

Yeah here in Norway those prices are actually pretty decent, actually I just spent $13 (115 nok) on a sandwich in a cafe which here in Oslo, just compared to the UK and probably everywhere else those prices are steep. Do DY get all their food and beverage from Norwegian caterers or do they pay local prices? If the latter then that will definitely boost their bottom line with consistent prices consistent on all flights. Not sure how much chocolate bars are but you're looking at 85 nok ($10) for a bottle of beer.

KgiW5AA.jpg

ZA TP Fan

ZA TP Fan

AE Player

• 60 posts

User's Awards

I'm glad you enjoyed your flight with Norwegian.

I've just googled the menu, and to be honest the prices - such as £1.50 for a Twix Xtra or Croque Monseiur for £4.50, is not bad pricing - and I would say that it would be comparable to SAS, maybe even a bit cheaper when translated into NOK. I appreciate, however that they are likely to source in Britain, but having recently visited, I don't really think the prices are that steep. 40NOK for a beer is very cheap. I guess you could always buy and bring on board.

May I ask, I've heard people rave about the blankets, what did you think?

All the best,

FNsig.png

Tesla

Tesla

Inactive

• 2,392 posts

I'm glad you enjoyed your flight with Norwegian.

I've just googled the menu, and to be honest the prices - such as £1.50 for a Twix Xtra or Croque Monseiur for £4.50, is not bad pricing - and I would say that it would be comparable to SAS, maybe even a bit cheaper when translated into NOK. I appreciate, however that they are likely to source in Britain, but having recently visited, I don't really think the prices are that steep. 40NOK for a beer is very cheap. I guess you could always buy and bring on board.

May I ask, I've heard people rave about the blankets, what did you think?

All the best,

Drinking alcohol not served by the airline is prohibited.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users