• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

Isa Al

Isa Al

AE Know It All

• 121 posts

User's Awards

Hey

What do you suggest the best 747-400D alternative? I was going to order some of it now but I see that the production is over and finding used aircraft is hard :/ 

I need an airplane with high passenger load and short runway for domestic flights like up to 2000 miles so any suggestions?

Thanks

kyurem800

kyurem800

AE Player

• 55 posts

User's Awards

4    4   

The 767-300 Non-ER would be good, it can travel over 3000 miles and carry 350 passengers at maximum capacity.

LockheedTristar

LockheedTristar

Trijets

• 285 posts

User's Awards

Call me weird but I always thought A340s (excluding 300Es or 500s) were great domestic planes

Isa Al

Isa Al

AE Know It All

• 121 posts

User's Awards

The issue with the 340S and 767-300 is the runway. the 747-400D has short minumum runway around 4,800 feet while the 340 for example has around 8,500 feet

TNT88

TNT88

Hates Pedo

• 3,458 posts

User's Awards

2    14       71      

A380, B747-400, A300-600R

bAnderson

bAnderson

Timeless

• 2,139 posts

Your best 2000 mile option for the replacement of the 747-400D is the A330-300. Best answer...

wgOP4y0.jpg

iquit

iquit

AE Luver

• 296 posts

User's Awards

6       3    7   

Tu-204-100

B777-200

Med.

Med.

Professional Lover

• 838 posts

User's Awards

I vote A330-200/300. B787-8/9 is good as well but still far into the future.

iJIXDA4.png

KmaD8AM.png

n.x.w.m

n.x.w.m

taiwanball

• Data Collector
  • 2,061 posts

I vote A330-200/300. B787-8/9 is good as well but still far into the future.

Agreed with med, or I would go 777-200/-300.

cUDPatH.jpg

TNT88

TNT88

Hates Pedo

• 3,458 posts

User's Awards

2    14       71      

You could always go with B737 and A320 if runway length is essentials.

jpalfrey

jpalfrey

• 5 posts

User's Awards

5    3   
The 777-200 (non ER) would be good due to the 5000 ft runway (approx) and 440 pax. The 300 (non ER) needs a very long runway just like the ER version.

xarxa

xarxa

prop enthusiast

• 40 posts

I would probably look at the shortest runway you need to service and then pick the biggest plane that can pull that off.

• 777-200s can use a runway as short as 5643ft and carries up to 440 passengers.  It's the largest sub-6000ft runway plane that never stops being manufactured.
  • A321-100s are much smaller (220 passengers) but is the largest plane that can land on a runway shorter than the 777-200, at 5155ft.
  • The largest plane than can land on a sub-5000ft runway and is made forever is the Tu-204-100.  Unfortunately the max capacity is 210 passengers, but can land on a runway as short as 4666ft.

So hopefully your shortest runway is at least 5643ft.  Otherwise you'll have to use much smaller planes.  Bmmr dude.  But little challenges like this are part of what makes the game enjoyable for me.

Sometimes you just have to adjust your plans.  I always love flying those little L-1649 Starliners in early-starting worlds to provide daily services to far away (over 6000mi!) destinations.  But they stop being made in the late 50s and by the early 80s you really can't justify flying them anymore and have to either drop the routes or the frequency.

Stevphfeniey

Stevphfeniey

Bad m*****f*****

• 4,249 posts

Concordes or you're a p****.

please don't kill us we're just the aquabats

The Best Discord Server

Oliy.

Oliy.

You what?

• Data Collector
  • 342 posts

User's Awards

If you need a plane that big for airports with runways under 5,000ft there is your problem. just buy more smaller planes and increase the frequency of flights.

767holic

767holic

AE Know It All

• 225 posts

User's Awards

3    4         

If runway length is not a problem, sometimes i choose to change my 744D to 773 or 767...or even 737-800 but with more frequency :D for me A380 is too oversized... :)

"Managing a real world airline is not as easy as you play Airline Empires. Real world airline are more and much more complicated"

konj1

konj1

whatever

• 562 posts

User's Awards

3       3    3      

In the period after 747-400 you're asking for a wide-body, the bigger the better, for domestic flights? Well, that's so last century.  :euro:

When the time comes to replace 744D (and short range (versions of) DC-10 or L-1011 or A300 or Il-86 for that matter), go with the modern times and do what real airlines did - improve your routes with higher frequency, build terminals, and in principle, forget about big stuff on domestic routes. Throw in an occasional wide-body if you have some to spare, but I don't see why you would be actually planning a wide-body fleet for domestic traffic after 1990s.

In AE find short range wide-bodies really useful only for routes where you can't get around the annoying 10 gate international restriction -.- which bothers me when I'm getting really big and I start thinking about how to fill dozens of main routes between something like China to HK, Japan, India, or US to Canada and Mexico where I'd love to use lots of A320s or 737s and get better frequency, but I have to go for something less practical.... meh

Isa Al

Isa Al

AE Know It All

• 121 posts

User's Awards

The main reason I want big body with short runway is that the country my airport is located in has only 1 airport so I have limited amount of slots to use. that's why I need big airplanes to save some slots for other routes

Thanks

konj1

konj1

whatever

• 562 posts

User's Awards

3       3    3      

The main reason I want big body with short runway is that the country my airport is located in has only 1 airport so I have limited amount of slots to use. that's why I need big airplanes to save some slots for other routes

Thanks

I see your airlines now.

First of all, you're not a noob with such a big airline to ask at the "new players" section (take it as a compliment). :P

Second, are you actually sure you're asking about domestic routes?

If you really must reach 200 gate limit and you really need more than 3000 destinations from one mid-sized airport, and you're at the same time so massively over-spamming capacity for routes you are holding by yourself by some 5-10 times from nominal demand and killing your profit, I just don't know what are you asking for here... 

For me that doesn't make much sense (I go either for some "realistic" quality small or mid-sized airlines, or a massive 5000+ fleet trillions of profit and #1 ranking domination from some bigger country), but this is an open-end game, so if that's your thing...

You have a request that you must find an answer for by yourself because very few have tried something with the same mission...

Most people here ask what's profitable to get an airline off the ground, then some discuss what's even more profitable, or raising reputation or saving money, or what would be realistic.

This is just, well, special.

By the way, A350-900R, completely opposite of domestic, but has high capacity and relatively short runway demand. But I don't get the point.

TNT88

TNT88

Hates Pedo

• 3,458 posts

User's Awards

2    14       71      

I see your airlines now.

First of all, you're not a noob with such a big airline to ask at the "new players" section (take it as a compliment). :P

Second, are you actually sure you're asking about domestic routes?

If you really must reach 200 gate limit and you really need more than 3000 destinations from one mid-sized airport, and you're at the same time so massively over-spamming capacity for routes you are holding by yourself by some 5-10 times from nominal demand and killing your profit, I just don't know what are you asking for here... 

For me that doesn't make much sense (I go either for some "realistic" quality small or mid-sized airlines, or a massive 5000+ fleet trillions of profit and #1 ranking domination from some bigger country), but this is an open-end game, so if that's your thing...

You have a request that you must find an answer for by yourself because very few have tried something with the same mission...

Most people here ask what's profitable to get an airline off the ground, then some discuss what's even more profitable, or raising reputation or saving money, or what would be realistic.

This is just, well, special.

By the way, A350-900R, completely opposite of domestic, but has high capacity and relatively short runway demand. But I don't get the point.

Trust me, once you go spamming, you need more than 200 gates. 

konj1

konj1

whatever

• 562 posts

User's Awards

3       3    3      

Trust me, once you go spamming, you need more than 200 gates. 

Yeah, I know, my companies with 5000-10000 planes were tiny compared to some... But still, in a big country like USA or China where you really can get to #1, you won't need more than 200 gates that much...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users