Photo

Ways to make decent profit with small aircraft?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

P_E_Ts

P_E_Ts

AE Player

• 33 posts

Hello. Another new guy question here: Is there any way to make a somewhat decent profit with small planes, as in 15 seats and less? I'm asking because I run a Greek regional airline here:

http://ae31.airline-...e3r6&player=283

and my problem is that there are many airports that I can use my ATR-72s on fine when I need them to go to and from a bigger city, but I can't seem to make any money when I connect airports that have 3 demand per day. I tried ordering a Bretton Norman Islander, set it up but anything past 1 flight per week would make me lose money and when I would only set up one flight I would only make about $60 per day per route. Is there any way to set up a good system of small planes so I can connect these smaller airports together while actually making a little bit of money in the process?

LockheedTristar

LockheedTristar

Trijets

• 285 posts

User's Awards

No, small planes are useless, mainly because of the way fuel is calculated. Never buy anything with less then 30-40 seats.

TNT88

TNT88

Hates Pedo

• 3,458 posts

User's Awards

2    14       71      

A very small plane is hard to make profitable. Unless it have 20+ seat, it would be hard. Look at the fuel consumption, the lower is the better.

Tesla

Tesla

Inactive

• 2,392 posts
Sell food onboard and try to set up a premium on flights by providing less seats than demand.

Jezza.

Jezza.

AE's resident Yooper.

• 438 posts

Look at airlines in Alaska. With the exception with ASA they use B1900's etc. and they've been going for years. It's just how AE calculates fuel.

DWA_Sig_3_15.png

NWAviator

NWAviator

AE Player

• 33 posts

This may be terrible advice, but I've been able to make a profit with Cessna 208s. For example, in R5, I fly 10 times weekly between Walla Walla and Boise, a route with a passenger demand of 8Y. I make around $1,100 a day on that route.

TheGreatOP

TheGreatOP

TheGreatOP

• 193 posts
  • Skype Name:TheGreatOP

This may be terrible advice, but I've been able to make a profit with Cessna 208s. For example, in R5, I fly 10 times weekly between Walla Walla and Boise, a route with a passenger demand of 8Y. I make around $1,100 a day on that route.

Check your aircraft details page, not just the daily profit; the capital cost of the aircraft, maintenance costs, depreciation/lease payments etc. will most likely render the aircraft unprofitable. (Incidentally, the same goes for Concorde.)

TheGreatOP

TheGreatOP

TheGreatOP

• 193 posts

Check your aircraft details page, not just the daily profit; the capital cost of the aircraft, maintenance costs, depreciation/lease payments etc. will most likely render the aircraft unprofitable. (Incidentally, the same goes for Concorde.)

TheGreatOP

TheGreatOP

TheGreatOP

• 193 posts

TheGreatOP

TheGreatOP

TheGreatOP

• 193 posts

Oops, multiple posts. Stupid internet connection... 

Hake.

Hake.

Too Old For All This Jazz

• 4,295 posts
  • Skype Name:billfoster123

User's Awards

Profit with small aircraft is easy if you understand your market. Even the SN.601 is simple enough. Concorde is a challenge, but still doable.

P_E_Ts

P_E_Ts

AE Player

• 33 posts

Thanks for the help everyone. I've actually tried using DHC-6 on some of my lower demand cities and it seems to be working pretty well. I might have to order a couple more so the base cost of $100k per month doesn't cancel so much of their profits, but I think its working. 

NWAviator

NWAviator

AE Player

• 33 posts

I make a net profit of $235,674 monthly, according to the aircraft details page.

TheGreatOP

TheGreatOP

TheGreatOP

• 193 posts

Thanks for the help everyone. I've actually tried using DHC-6 on some of my lower demand cities and it seems to be working pretty well. I might have to order a couple more so the base cost of $100k per month doesn't cancel so much of their profits, but I think its working. 

DHC-6 are probably the smallest aircraft that you can make a decent profit on.

I make a net profit of $235,674 monthly, according to the aircraft details page.

Oh nice, I didn't think you could do that.

Profit with small aircraft is easy if you understand your market. Even the SN.601 is simple enough. Concorde is a challenge, but still doable.

Small aircraft work when you have the right market, just like Concorde. The Tu-144, however, is impossible.

Tesla

Tesla

Inactive

• 2,392 posts

DHC-6 are probably the smallest aircraft that you can make a decent profit on.

Oh nice, I didn't think you could do that.

Small aircraft work when you have the right market, just like Concorde. The Tu-144, however, is impossible.

Cessna F406 is easier, it is 8 TIMES more fuel-efficient.

TheGreatOP

TheGreatOP

TheGreatOP

• 193 posts

Cessna F406 is easier, it is 8 TIMES more fuel-efficient.

Fuel efficiency is not all... the price and the capacity matter as well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users