Photo

Gonna get FS. Have a few questions.

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

Ongots Khaan

Ongots Khaan

The current khan of AE

• 411 posts
Yeah. Started looking through the Flight Sim forums and decided "Hey. That looks more addictive than Victoria II. Imma get it." So I have questions.

1, Which should I get FSX or FS9?

2, Would a 4gb RAM Laptop be compatible with both of the above?

3, How realistic is it?

4, How fun is it?

5, Around what ratio of the planes are free:paid?

6, For Aussies. Gonna visit for a second time this year so are there copies at EBGames?

7, If the answer to 6 is no or I cancel my trip, should I torrent? Malaysian so there are no places selling them.

8, Is it online?

9, How many Airports are there?

10, How indepth is it?

11, If I do get the game, should I prioritise it more than Victoria II?

Sorry for so many questions.

Luft

Luft

IVIVI

• 1,213 posts

User's Awards

2          2   

Get FSX. It's newer, WAY better graphics then FS9, and a lot smoother. There's also a lot more (and newer) addons for FSX.

A 4GB RAM laptop is most definitely NOT going to work. It's compatible, but you're going to have a miserable time with any addons whatsoever. I no longer play FSX due to myself having a 4GB laptop (Dell Vostro).

While it's not as realistic as X-Plane, the graphics are way better, and I've enjoyed playing it far more than X-Plane. It's as realistic as most amateur flight simulators will get you.

It's definitely fun, and the chances are low of you getting bored unless you have a ****-up of a computer like I do.

IDK about the ratio, but the number probably sways WAY higher towards free. A lot of free models are fantastic if you know where to look.

You could torrent the game itself, of course, but it's almost guaranteed there's going to be something wrong with it.

I absolutely love Victoria II, and now I play Vic2 more than FSX because my computer can't handle either, but it works better with Vic2.

QITdCef.png

TNT88

TNT88

Hates Pedo

• 3,461 posts

User's Awards

2    14       71      

FSX all the way.

Jezza.

Jezza.

AE's resident Yooper.

• 438 posts

On the other hand FS9 is more tried and tested, much more stable then FSX, and more friendly to low end computers. Also I have a 4 GB laptop that's getting dated and it can run both just fine. Also bear in mind that FSX is over a decade old.

FSX does have a lot more newer addons

And if you dig deeper you will find that both FSX and FS9 has their pros and cons

DWA_Sig_3_15.png

Jezza.

Jezza.

AE's resident Yooper.

• 438 posts

On the other hand FS9 is more tried and tested, much more stable then FSX,

On the other hand FS9 is more tried and tested, much more stable then FSX, and more friendly to low end computers. Also I have a 4 GB laptop that's getting dated and it can run both just fine. Also bear in mind that FSX is over a decade old.

And if you dig deeper you will find that both FSX and FS9 has their pros and cons

and more friendly to low end computers. Also I have a 4 GB laptop that's getting dated and it can run both just fine. Also bear in mind that FSX is over a decade old.

DWA_Sig_3_15.png

Jezza.

Jezza.

AE's resident Yooper.

• 438 posts

whoops sorry

DWA_Sig_3_15.png

Chubby Bear

Chubby Bear

AE's Noob

• 1,213 posts

User's Awards

2    5      

I was in EBgames this morning looking at Batman Arkham Knight PS4 pre order and they had FSX on the clearance shelf and the pre owned section. Bear in mind this was the Garden city Mall Brisbane store. But they do still have it.  it was around $15-20 pre owned and around $40 new on the clearance shelf.  I still play it a lot with all my mods etc. on full settings and it truly is great at amateur flight simulating. I do unfortunately don't have a 4gb computer so cant tell you if it will work or not on it, I have a MSI GT80 titan sli ( which im typing on now) but that is kinda the high end scale I guess.

Well worth getting FSX over FS9 or even X-Plane. But the plain game is kinda boring you should get some mods etc to make the game really stand out.

Cheers

South-Africa_240-animated-flag-gifs.gifNew-Zealand_240-animated-flag-gifs.gif

9IYxwsM.png

ND7sS8w.jpg

#AspireMember  #EnvoyMember #Unknown Alien Species #WorldAllianceMember

TNT88

TNT88

Hates Pedo

• 3,461 posts

User's Awards

2    14       71      

I was in EBgames this morning looking at Batman Arkham Knight PS4 pre order and they had FSX on the clearance shelf and the pre owned section. Bear in mind this was the Garden city Mall Brisbane store. But they do still have it.  it was around $15-20 pre owned and around $40 new on the clearance shelf.  I still play it a lot with all my mods etc. on full settings and it truly is great at amateur flight simulating. I do unfortunately don't have a 4gb computer so cant tell you if it will work or not on it, I have a MSI GT80 titan sli ( which im typing on now) but that is kinda the high end scale I guess.

Well worth getting FSX over FS9 or even X-Plane. But the plain game is kinda boring you should get some mods etc to make the game really stand out.

Cheers

Or he could just pirated the game for free. Easy solutions.

Chubby Bear

Chubby Bear

AE's Noob

• 1,213 posts

User's Awards

2    5      

My way was the legal and right way to go, your way is the easy illegal way ;)

9IYxwsM.png

ND7sS8w.jpg

TNT88

TNT88

Hates Pedo

• 3,461 posts

User's Awards

2    14       71      

My way was the legal and right way to go, your way is the easy illegal way ;)

Well apart from ****ing up the multiplayer server, then stop creating Flight Simulator or even the Autopilot Oscillation in fsx acceleration or even Steam version. I think they deserved it. Also, try before you buy it, it help me avoiding wasting money on games like Sims 4 or Simcity 2013  ;)

Tesla

Tesla

Inactive

• 2,392 posts

Cos Gamespy died, there's no multiplayer anymore (-_-)

Therefore, get X-Plane 10. It has better planes (Piaggio Avanti rather than King Air) as well as IRL liveries, such as the united airlines livery. On FSX, they are all made up and basically suck. Alternatively, you can get steam edition, but i would say X-Plane is your best bet.

Chubby Bear

Chubby Bear

AE's Noob

• 1,213 posts

User's Awards

2    5      

i guess that is somewhat very true, sir TNT88

9IYxwsM.png

ND7sS8w.jpg

Luft

Luft

IVIVI

• 1,213 posts

User's Awards

2          2   

But most of all it's important to make sure you have a computer that can support it because otherwise you're dead :/

QITdCef.png

777-3GZER

777-3GZER

Aussie

• 10 posts
As an Australian myself, hopefully this answers Question 6;

I purchased my copy (Gold Edition) for $20 at Jb Hi-Fi, and I personally would reccomend them. I have a hard drive from 2008 (I couldn't tell you the specifications off the top of my head) on Windows 7 and it runs relatively smoothly, with only a few issues such as the game freezing and the FPS dropping significantly occasionally. For the realism, the base models aren't that realistic, as you can flip a 747 with ease, but there are several realistic freeware and payware options out there.

If you're like me and don't want to spend money on add-ons, then I reccomend these;

ICEAI; Relaces the default AI with realistic AI.
Project Airbus A319/320/321; Relativley realistic, much better than the default.
Tom Ruth A330/349; again relativley realistic.

Harrison.

Harrison.

AE's Asian

• 240 posts

You could torrent the game itself, of course, but it's almost guaranteed there's going to be something wrong with it.

I've torrented FS9/FSX before I bought a legit copy of FSX and FSX:SE ($17 and $5 respectively) and nothing went wrong with it.... 

Skyroutes Admin

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

a0149d3efa.jpg

FIwBmaF.png

Cameras:

Nikon D750 | Nikon D300s | Nikon D5100

Nikkor AF-S 24-70mm f/2.8G | Sigma 150-600mm C f/5-6.3 | Nikkor 24mm AF-S f/1.4G

Computers:

2019 Razer Blade 15 Advanced RTX 2070 | 2015 13" Apple Retina MacBook Pro | 2013 15.6" Sony Vaio Fit 15E

2010 Custom Built PC

TNT88

TNT88

Hates Pedo

• 3,461 posts

User's Awards

2    14       71      

I've torrented FS9/FSX before I bought a legit copy of FSX and FSX:SE ($17 and $5 respectively) and nothing went wrong with it.... 

+1

Ioh

Ioh

Baaauussss

• 1,649 posts

**** the law, **** DA POLICE

ADWAM.png

PC Will

PC Will

AE'spolice officer (in training).

• 505 posts

**** the law, **** DA POLICE

It would be you that says that..... wouldn't surprise me if you had an ASBO already.

gallery_7626_9_1537.jpg

MSC Application (Papersift): Passed 08/2015 Written Assessment: Passed 16/10/2015 Interview: Passed 16/10/2015 Fitness test: Passed 16/10/2015 Medical: Passed 16/10/2015 
Vetting: Passed 01/2016  Induction Evening (NSY): Attended 12/02/2016 Training: Completed 07/03/2016 - 11/04/2016 - 24 Day Intensive AttestationCompleted Sunday 12th June
First Shift: Sat 20/08/2016 19:00-04:00

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PC Application: Passed August 2016 Online tests: Passed October 2016 Day 1 Assessment Passed February 2017 Day 2 Assessment Passed April 2017 Vetting Status: Cleared Training intake start date: 30th August 2017
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2016 Retina Macbook Pro w Touchbar 256GB SSD i5 2.9GHZ

Custom built PC:

Corsair Obsidian 750D Full ATX Case
Intel Core i7-6850k Six Core @ 3.6GHZ
ASUS X99 Motherboard
Corsair Hydro H100i V2 CPU Cooler
32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHZ
Gigabyte Nvidia GTX 1080TI 11GB GDDR5X
250GB Samsung 850 Evo Solid State Drive
500GB Samsung 850 Evo Solid State Drive

Northern

Northern

Data Collector

• Data Collector
  • 1,623 posts

User's Awards

2    2    4   

For FSX to be worthwhile you kind of need a good PC to run it to its full potential. The problem with that is that it can cost short of £1000 for a good build. One thing I would recommend for FSX is the PMDG 737. Its costly and needs a good computer to run it - But it is the best of the best for FSX.

banner_signature_northern.png

Tesla

Tesla

Inactive

• 2,392 posts

For FSX to be worthwhile you kind of need a good PC to run it to its full potential. The problem with that is that it can cost short of £1000 for a good build. One thing I would recommend for FSX is the PMDG 737. Its costly and needs a good computer to run it - But it is the best of the best for FSX.

Get FSX Steam Edition and get freeware. No point spending £60 on a game that costs £25.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users