Photo

Being a "realist"

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

Mattéo

Mattéo

Captain of the sinking boat

• 41 posts
Hello and sorry if I broke the "new players" category if I posted this under the wrong sub-forum or me not being a "new player" (until now i do treat myself as one of them)*

After playing for a while, I did get a catch on what others are up to; playing with realism. Which involves making a realistic airline, realistic IFE/IFS, realistic daily operating hours, realistic seating plan, and so on. And I also understand the reason of making a realistic one. It implies AE as a simulator for managing an airline. That's why I want to make one, instead of operating a 3-class 737-200, while charging $6 for a banana.

My question is, what else do you fellow players think of a "realistic airline"?

*and sorry for being an insecure member of the forum

sound_guy0918

sound_guy0918

AE Know It All

• 163 posts

It is whatever you want.  AE is both a simulation and a game, so play for fun.

vsauce

vsauce

travelling at 35 km/h

• 636 posts

User's Awards

A realist is one who sees the glass of water just as a glass filled with water

In terms of AE, It is what the alliance/majority defines as realism.

Personally a realistic airline imo would have a realistic network, and fly to realistic or possible destinations (or airports), not just fly random routes to random airports. e.g. operating flights from Stansted -> Cleveland etc etc.

Hope that helps in the least ;)

09f14b347b.jpg

xjF8rVw.png

Mattéo

Mattéo

• 41 posts

It is what the alliance/majority defines as realism.

Personally a realistic airline imo would have a realistic network, and fly to realistic or possible destinations (or airports), not just fly random routes to random airports. e.g. operating flights from Stansted -> Cleveland etc etc.

Hope that helps in the least ;)

Does that mean I have to restrict myself from establishing routes to multiple airports in the same city, in order to be a "realistic" airline? And what about daily aircraft utility, do "realistic" airlines have some kind of operating hours per aircraft limit or something like that?

Cheers

It is whatever you want.  AE is both a simulation and a game, so play for fun.

It is fun. So does imagining owning an airline, a realistic one, of course  ^_^

Stevphfeniey

Stevphfeniey

Bad m*****f*****

• 4,249 posts

Does that mean I have to restrict myself from establishing routes to multiple airports in the same city, in order to be a "realistic" airline? And what about daily aircraft utility, do "realistic" airlines have some kind of operating hours per aircraft limit or something like that?

Cheers

Have some data: http://web.mit.edu/a...ft&Related.html

please don't kill us we're just the aquabats

The Best Discord Server

Pineair

Pineair

AE Luver

• 474 posts

User's Awards

10    16    12       9   

Cheers

you are playing a game, demand it set for you. It wouldn't be realistic if you decided to ignore the demand being generated by the game. If there is sufficient demand to fly once or twice a week from Stansted to Cleveland then in the real world someone would look to satisfy that demand. Enjoy it for what it is, a game, and don't get too frustrated by others who don't restrict themselves to realism.

AsiaPacific

AsiaPacific

AE Player

• 54 posts

I always use seat guru to figure out the seat configurations and such. in terms of aircraft utility the link Boulder provided helps a lot. alternatively we can always google/wiki the fleet composition, destinations most major airlines fly and create a synthesis of them all.

Superman

Superman

Data Collector

• Data Collector
  • 1,507 posts

User's Awards

2    3   

Have some data: http://web.mit.edu/a...ft&Related.html

wow , I'm surprised at those stats :mellow:

bAnderson

bAnderson

Timeless

• 2,139 posts

Depends on the airline type. Allegiant doesn't fly out of the same city por se but does fly out of several locations in Florida very close to each other. Some airlines, like Delta fly out of LGA and JFK. Just do what you think is real.

wgOP4y0.jpg

Tesla

Tesla

Inactive

• 2,392 posts

Depends on the airline type. Allegiant doesn't fly out of the same city por se but does fly out of several locations in Florida very close to each other. Some airlines, like Delta fly out of LGA and JFK. Just do what you think is real.

What is unrealistic is for a small airline like sun country airlines to do what delta and UA do in JFK and LGA.

iquit

iquit

AE Luver

• 296 posts

User's Awards

6       3    7   

Being a realist usually means being a proponent of imposing unrealistic restrictions such as limiting number of aircraft to compensate for modelling inaccuracy.

sound_guy0918

sound_guy0918

AE Know It All

• 163 posts

Being a realist usually means being a proponent of imposing unrealistic restrictions such as limiting number of aircraft to compensate for modelling inaccuracy.

Not necessarily.  I would prefer a cap on the number of aircraft instead of some crappy alliance leader saying utilization must be under 14 hours and configurations must be XYZ.

Stevphfeniey

Stevphfeniey

Bad m*****f*****

• 4,249 posts

I prefer to see it as "artificially implementing difficulties into a hilariously easy game"

The Best Discord Server

Tesla

Tesla

Inactive

• 2,392 posts

I prefer to see it as "artificially implementing difficulties into a hilariously easy game"

Why don't we just make it a bannable offence to exploit flaws in the game, like the 5 star IFE that costs just $40 per flight, and Scam IFS

Stevphfeniey

Stevphfeniey

Bad m*****f*****

• 4,249 posts

Why don't we just make it a bannable offence to exploit flaws in the game, like the 5 star IFE that costs just $40 per flight, and Scam IFS

Because that's a stupid idea. 

The Best Discord Server

Mattéo

Mattéo

• 41 posts

Sums up my opinion on why realistic airlines looks majestic on the forums and blogs but financially mediocre in-game  :P

vsauce

vsauce

travelling at 35 km/h

• 636 posts

User's Awards

Sums up my opinion on why realistic airlines looks majestic on the forums and blogs but financially mediocre in-game  :P

not necessarily, but yeah, you don't see real airlines making $65 million a day unlike in AE

09f14b347b.jpg

xjF8rVw.png

Tesla

Tesla

Inactive

• 2,392 posts

not necessarily, but yeah, you don't see real airlines making $65 million a day unlike in AE

My realistic airline has been operating for 6 years, has 22 destinations and is worth just £40 million, or 65 million dollars and counting.

Tesla

Tesla

Inactive

• 2,392 posts
oops. Double post. My airline is actually worth 80 million!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users