Best and Worst Airports?

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

BernieBro

BernieBro

All opinions are my own

• 130 posts

Best:
DFW (Terminal D) - Lots of food choices, fast TSA lines, and free wifi provided by AT&T as well as the train between the terminals makes it easy to change terminals, JFK (Terminal E) was also very nice but very confusing upon navigating.

Worst:

LGA is a nightmare, TSA made me want to cry and the only food I could find was a croissant from Au bon pain.

Best Regional:

DAL, Love Field is clean and easy to walk around, the city of Dallas provided really nice artwork throughout the airport and there are lots of restaurants to choose from.

Worst Regional:
XNA, this was a stopover for me and there was nothing to do and one expensive restaurant with terrible food.

markantony9692

markantony9692

AE Player

• 78 posts
Best US
Miami Inlt (MIA). Well laid-out; nice Dunkin Donuts near the gates in Terminal D... I do wish they had free wifi.

Worst US
I can't say, having nothing but pleasant experiences while transiting the USA.
EWR was crowded and busy.

Best Intl
1. Belfast Intl -- nice little airport; not too busy; very pleasent
2. Frankfurt -- while hunormous, it is very nice -- at least in the T1, where Lufthansa flies (which takes up most of the ramp...)
3. Dublin -- very nice; nothing special
4. Caracas -- I was pleasantly surprised on my late visit to FL, USA, by this airport having TOILET PAPER and WATER in the bathrooms! This is my home country's airport, and very nice indeed.

Worst Intl
See Worst USA; but CCS is also on this list. LGW is on neither Worst nor Best...

Vairo

Vairo

SWISS, BA & Airbus enthusiast

• 2 posts

Best: Zurich - Love this Airport, use it at least 4 times a year.

Worst: Johannesburg - My word, this airport... Passport control is just absolute chaos in there, a few years back my family and I arrived from Zurich with SWISS at the same time all the others (Lufthansa, BA, Air France etc.) arrived. What did the Airport do? Open 2 out of about 15 passport control offices for at least 800 people. Insane, luckily we got through just in time for our connecting flight to Durban.

X-Wing @Aliciousness

X-Wing @Aliciousness

I think you'll like them!

• 1,760 posts

While I've been through some seriously bad airports (Entebbe comes to mind), the most surprisingly bad airport I've been through has to be Shanghai Pudong. The terminal is dark and dingy, passport control and security are a mess, the lounges are tiny and awful, its dirty, and everything is badly marked. Considering the airport is only 15 years old and in one of the largest and wealthiest cities on the planet I just can't comprehend how the airport is so bad, especially when Guangzhou and Beijing have incredibly nice airports.

As far as the best, its not even a question, Singapore Changi is basically cheating when it comes to how nice an airport can be.

UbxSbIt.png

zipp

zipp

POLARIS ALLIANCE #1 FAN

• 3,340 posts

User's Awards

Best Airports: 

Tied Between Canberra International 

Canberra_Airport_terminal_(10).jpgEverything was very efficient and clean.

Adelaide International Airport 

Stayin on Message here, come to SA

387_09-08-2011_5824.pngWorst:

Probably DXB 

GcveK9y.png

f5RRaJZ.png

I want my gays illegal and my racism married

Denver.

Denver.

Retired AE Comrade

• 2,042 posts

Best- Dubai Airport

Worst- Goa Airport

u2r8weo.jpg

Founder of National | Founder of Golden | Judge at National Awards 2016 | Member at SkyRoutes Alliance | Member of Universal Alliance | Member of The SkyWorld Alliance | 

Tesla

Tesla

Inactive

• 2,392 posts
I cant say I enjoyed Chennai airport. I found the immigration at DXB too naff, and generally a pain for less frequent users. Its gigantic. LGW is not great, and needs renovation. I'd definitively say that I found DXB to be one of the freshest and nicest feeling airports I've ever been in. I love the double entrance elevators. Slightly different story outside, but nit enough to remove it from the top of my list. Most airports in India I would put near the bottom of the list, due to cleanliness issues. And no, I am not biased since I am infact partially indian

Viero

Viero

Data Collector

• 231 posts

User's Awards

Best:

Honolulu International Airport

Worst:
Rome Fiumicino - Terminal 5

Posted Image

Posted Image

vistaraR1

vistaraR1

AE Know It All

• 120 posts
Best-

1) mumbai t2 :wub:
2) delhi T3
3) queen alia int airport

Worst-

1) chennai international airport
2) varanasi international airport :sick3:

post-26104-0-04327600-1462270507.png

berubium

berubium

AE Luver

• 331 posts

User's Awards

In my experience:

Best - YVR (Vancouver).  Clean.  Wide concourses.  Beautiful art everywhere.  Friendly staff (always friendly; once let me board when I was way past the check-in deadline).  Nice views of the mountains from the International Terminal.  Direct link to rapid transit (I can walk off the plane, through the terminal, onto the Skytrain, & be downtown in less than 30 minutes for $5).

Worst - MZT (Mazatlan).  It isn't that bad really, but I guess it would be the worst I've been to.  No air conditioning; bad set up at baggage claim, but again, not that bad of an airport.  My first visit to SEA (Seattle) was horrible, but I've been there since & it wasn't so bad.

Berubium.png

konj1

konj1

whatever

• 562 posts

User's Awards

3       3    3      

While I've been through some seriously bad airports (Entebbe comes to mind), the most surprisingly bad airport I've been through has to be Shanghai Pudong. The terminal is dark and dingy, passport control and security are a mess, the lounges are tiny and awful, its dirty, and everything is badly marked. Considering the airport is only 15 years old and in one of the largest and wealthiest cities on the planet I just can't comprehend how the airport is so bad, especially when Guangzhou and Beijing have incredibly nice airports.

I kinda liked PVG... Hard to say why. Didn't seem dirty to me, on the contrary, too sterile.

Best - hard to say, I'm impressed by efficient traffic flow and/or surroundings or architecture of the airport more than neatness :)

Worst - Istanbul Sabiha Gökçen (SAW) - worst transfer I've had so far, crowded and boring, tiny portions of food and drink but prices sky high even compared to Western standards, duty free shops not worth mentioning (almost nothing interesting and local, just loads of overpriced European luxury alcohol and perfumes...); none of staff or shop clerks speak English, at a freakin' international airport! Not to mention wifi and recharging...  :disgusted:

Also, no rapid transit to the city - making 12 h wait at the airport into a short visit to Istanbul made no sense, getting stuck on notoriously jammed streets in a bus or a taxi was not an option

(but I liked the city, at another trip...)

kaeper8560

kaeper8560

• 2 posts

best: BRU/EBBR (because the whole terminal is in glass and you always see an active runway)

Worst nicosia how the flying **** could they lose an plane????

Fighter35

Fighter35

Inactive

• 153 posts

Best:

Barcelona El Prat - I was suprised at how modern and spacious it was, I only went here because I had to get another flight via here when my direct one was cancelled.

Worst:

Kefalonia - It has very poor design so there are bottlenecks at security.

Great-Britain_240-animated-flag-gifs.gifNATO_240-animated-flag-gifs.gif

buckeyecapsfan19

buckeyecapsfan19

AE Player

• 26 posts

User's Awards

Best: Denver International Aiport it is amazing how efficient everything is and how they split the traffic ect...

Worst: Cancun International Aiport why would you let street vendors into an airport? And with like 8 gates 1 active runway for an aiport this busy ......

I flew through DEN and found it confusing, especially when arriving. Checkpoint lines were long and the choice of eateries (at least in my terminal) were dismal. You really going to tell me I can't get a bagel at Dunkin Donuts? That being said, I love the Front Range as a backdrop and the airy feeling of the main hall.

buckeyecapsfan19

buckeyecapsfan19

AE Player

• 26 posts

User's Awards

Best:
DFW (Terminal D) - Lots of food choices, fast TSA lines, and free wifi provided by AT&T as well as the train between the terminals makes it easy to change terminals, JFK (Terminal E) was also very nice but very confusing upon navigating.

Worst:

LGA is a nightmare, TSA made me want to cry and the only food I could find was a croissant from Au bon pain.

Best Regional:

DAL, Love Field is clean and easy to walk around, the city of Dallas provided really nice artwork throughout the airport and there are lots of restaurants to choose from.

Worst Regional:
XNA, this was a stopover for me and there was nothing to do and one expensive restaurant with terrible food.

Love, love, love DFW. The SkyTrain is inspired. Makes it easy for exploring during a layover. I hope I never fly through LaGuardia, and I hope Southwest adds service to DAL from Cleveland.

Now to get on topic:

Best:

Dallas Fort Worth. Like everything in Texas, it's big, but easy to navigate through. The SkyTrain makes it extremely easy to get to other terminals, either for conx or for exploring. Have flown through Terminals A,B,and C.

Worst:

Philadelphia. The terminal my connecting flight was at was crowded and had all the ambiance of a suburban Amtrak station. 

Best Regional:

Akron/Canton. Short lines at TSA, easy to navigate and at times cheaper flights than from CLE.

Worst Regional:

I have to say Garden City Regional, but for the area it serves, it's a good airport. Seven miles out from the city center, but traffic is negligible and you aren't going to a rental car facility fifteen minutes away from the terminal....

Breadquanda

Breadquanda

assmuncher

• 96 posts

Best: MSP! (obviously, gotta flaunt my Minneapolis/Minnesotan Pride! :D) mostly because it's really easy to navigate, and traffic to and from the airport is usually minimal! :)

Worst: Cancun, I flew here for holiday once, and the airport wasn't too nice. In my opinion, it was quite confusing, and once I exited the airport (don't get me started on security  >_> ) the bus depot type thing outside was very... Difficult, I'd say. Nobody could help us, and it wasn't too enjoyable.

Best Regional: Iron Mountain (Ford Airport), it was small and easy to navigate.

Worst Regional: I guess I don't really have a 'worst'.

Forthwall

Forthwall

AE Addict To-Be

• 20 posts

Best US - SLC (Short and sweet, never went through security due to it being a transfer)

Honorable Mentions: MSP (Fun to walk around), SJC (Never a long line in security)

Worst US - JFK (They fixed this as I remember, but you used to have to leave the airport to transfer from immigration to the old pan-am terminal..., otherwise, it's really filthy)

Most Improved Airport From Last Visit USA - DEN (They fixed their security lines a little bit)

Best Int - TPE (Huge, so many things to do, great Ice-Cream, an arcade where everything was free, it made my 4 hour transfer a nice break)

Honorable Mentions: KIX/NRT (Huge mall and viewing stations), YYZ (Chill AF)
Worst Int - BOM (Literally half of it was under construction, so it'll probably get most improved when I return)

Most Improved Airport - SIN (I was there before they Singapore Airlines and SIN revamped, it was crowded before)

Best Regional - MCE (Literally no airport, just get through a tiny security check in a shed and walk to the plane)
Worst Regional - IAG (The rental car agency in the airport doesn't have cars sometimes aka, our time)

bAnderson

bAnderson

Timeless

• 2,139 posts

Well I have never been to a bad airport.

International Best: JFK (T5) was fun, I liked ORD, and DFW is fun too.. as well as CLT

Regional Best: PIT, IAG (No line for anything), JHW (because it's home XD), BUF, PIE

Once again, all airports are amazing.

wgOP4y0.jpg

NNR

NNR

Beloved, Charred Remains

• 1,203 posts

User's Awards

In terms of general airports:

BEST:

Dublin (DUB)- really nice airport, plenty of space for waiting around, loads of types of food available, quick to get through, gates are nice too

Heathrow (LHR)- like DUB, was only there once but it's a pretty good airport
Cork (ORK)- even for an airport as small as it is, it's really nice, plenty of shops and restaurants

Alghero (AHO)- shame that FR stopped service there, I love this airport

WORST:

Pula (PUY)- one shop, and even at that, it's an absolute rip-off :/

Comiso (CIY)- for an international airport, it's fairly mediocre, but it's getting better

Biarritz (BIQ)- not comfortable, restaurants are expensive and s***ty

If You're Reading This It's Too Late

alexSD

alexSD

777X Fanclub

• 190 posts

Hey guys, nice topic!

Best airport for me is Changi in Singapore (SIN):

maxresdefault.jpg

And worst is Dortmund (DTM):

dortmund_6abef0836bb261b4d9c6c46e8603f5e

0 user(s) are reading this topic