Looking for guidance

* * * * - 1 votes

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

bAnderson

bAnderson

Timeless

• 2,139 posts

I wish to become a pilot. However, I have no idea what I should do. I am fifteen and scheduled to start flight lessons in 2015. I am hoping to be able to get my licence by 17. Where do I go from there?

There are local charter companies, some run by the flight school.

What do I need to get a multi engine? Is it worth it?

There is also a community college that has several flight based classes.

I am in the CAP, I joined in June 2014. Should I go military?

If I choose charter, after how much experience should I get before I try for an airline?

Which airlines would I be wanting to join? I live in the KBUF/KIAG region.

Should I try to get into a large airline (like United) and fly a large aircraft (like the 777) or something small (like Allegiant) and fly smaller planes (like a 737 or A320)? Should I go for smaller (CRJ) or medium (757)? Should I go in between (like JetBlue or American)?

I know a lot about planes, and I feel comprehensive in airports. I can easily identify local airports, read a sectional easily, etc.

Thank you!

wgOP4y0.jpg

Hake.

Hake.

Too Old For All This Jazz

• 4,295 posts
  • Skype Name:billfoster123

User's Awards

While I have little experience with piloting and training myself, I'd say your safest is to start off with a PPL, then getting yourself a place in a school in your area, which shouldn't be too hard, unless costs are an issue. Honestly? You needn't be thinking of who to fly with right now, my advice would be to get a common type rating (CRJ/ 737/ A320, whichever one you think is best, although I'd say 737 if I were to train, but that should be completely your choice) and then see who's recruiting by then. From what I've heard, US airlines treat rookies badly, with long hours and low pay. Unless you have your heart set on an American airline, I'd suggest finding a more easygoing job abroad tbh, then build up hours and return to America.

Jet-A Marinade

Jet-A Marinade

Jet Fuel Keeps Me Going

• 72 posts

User's Awards

Start small, then work your way up...always good to get your ATP first on a single or even multi-engine piston or turboprop aircraft before tackling something bigger with multiple turbofans on it.

Regionals would do good for you, say maybe getting your certification on a Dash-8?

:-)

https://www.faa.gov/pilots/become/

Woooosaaaaaahhhhh!!!

draven

draven

• 2 posts

User's Awards

there are a few things you need to do...get your private license first, then move onto your commercial and instrument license. Once you get those, you are still a long way from being employed by an airline.  Military is certainly an option if you can get a flying job with them.  Otherwise, flight instructing or banner towing, and it will be a couple of years of that in order to get the hours you need to be hired by a regional airline, of course, depending on where you live.  Multi engine rating is nice, but not required, but will certainly open up some doors for you, but it all starts with the private license.  Good luck!

TNT88

TNT88

Hates Pedo

• 3,461 posts

User's Awards

2    14       71      

Hmm you need quite a lot of money for that. Did you talk about finance with your parents or the bank?

bAnderson

bAnderson

Timeless

• 2,139 posts
My parents are going to at least fund my flight school for a private license. I also heard from a friend who completed flight school where I am planning attending. He says that the school will be able to give me up to an IFR rating and everything between. They have two CFIIs. I am hoping to have enough flight hours almost out of the gate to start instructions, even if I don't have a commercial license. I also heard that you need 1500 hours to be even touched by an airline. He also says that there is a college in Florida and Arizona that will allow you to get a certificate at 1000 hours. I hope that if I am able to go I go to the one in Florida. However, is this a good plan?

wgOP4y0.jpg

TNT88

TNT88

Hates Pedo

• 3,461 posts

User's Awards

2    14       71      

Also I've heard the Airlines preferred pilot with University/College degree. Since they are many applicants out there competing for the Job, You might consider to get one before becoming pilots. And sometimes speaking foreign languages helps too.

Luft

Luft

IVIVI

• 1,213 posts

User's Awards

2          2   

Your best bet, like TNT said, is to go to a 4 year college and get a degree in Aerospace Engineering. 

QITdCef.png

Harrison.

Harrison.

AE's Asian

• 240 posts
Languages are good, but it isn't really much of a concern.. Usually the purser will handle announcements in foreign languages, and around the world English is to be used.

I don't know though, I'm also trying to join Cathay Pacific, and I speak Cantonese, English, Mandarin, French, Spanish, Japanese, German...

It really depends on where such airline you want to join flies tom

Skyroutes Admin

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

a0149d3efa.jpg

FIwBmaF.png

Cameras:

Nikon D750 | Nikon D300s | Nikon D5100

Nikkor AF-S 24-70mm f/2.8G | Sigma 150-600mm C f/5-6.3 | Nikkor 24mm AF-S f/1.4G

Computers:

2019 Razer Blade 15 Advanced RTX 2070 | 2015 13" Apple Retina MacBook Pro | 2013 15.6" Sony Vaio Fit 15E

2010 Custom Built PC

bAnderson

bAnderson

Timeless

• 2,139 posts

I know that English is the worldwide aviation language... I also know mild Spanish and hoping to learn German.

wgOP4y0.jpg

Pineair

Pineair

AE Luver

• 474 posts

User's Awards

10    16    12       9   
This is a link to a university masters degree course in Aetospace engineering that includes obtaining pilots licence. You can also take s year out for industry placement. This is in the UK

http://www.herts.ac....h-pilot-studies

Denver.

Denver.

Retired AE Comrade

• 2,042 posts

I fell that most of the Pilots who fly the A380 are already in their 40s by now.

u2r8weo.jpg

Founder of National | Founder of Golden | Judge at National Awards 2016 | Member at SkyRoutes Alliance | Member of Universal Alliance | Member of The SkyWorld Alliance | 

bAnderson

bAnderson

Timeless

• 2,139 posts

I fell that most of the Pilots who fly the A380 are already in their 40s by now.

Probably 45+   :rofl2:

wgOP4y0.jpg

conflictwithin

conflictwithin

Bearer of Destruction

• 29 posts

User's Awards

7    2      

It's a long road to becoming a professional pilot. As others have said financing your training should be your first priority to determine if you can even afford to enter this career. It's expensive to earn your private license, instrument rating, commercial license, multi-engine rating, CFI, CFI-I and MEI. Which if you want to fly for the airlines or charter like NetJets or FlexJets, you'll need your MEI to build your ME time. Even to get a job at a 135 cargo outfit you'll have to have some ME time.

So after paying for all your training and probably getting a four year degree you'll enter the workforce making below poverty wages trying to build flight time. Oh and I would suggest getting a degree in something non-aviation. Business, finance, engineering something to fall back on for when you get furloughed during an economic downturn. It's a tough path but it can be done. Feel free to send a PM.

bAnderson

bAnderson

Timeless

• 2,139 posts

What about ERAU? Hoping to go there 2018/2019.

wgOP4y0.jpg

KJS607

KJS607

The O.G. Savage

• 3,860 posts

User's Awards

6       3   

You want to be asking Speed Bird about this.

I too am an aspiring airline pilot and SB has helped me a lot :P

msg-1341-0-50048700-1680446869_thumb.png

I did a thing: thetravelsavage.com

Speed Bird

Speed Bird

AE Addict

• 866 posts

User's Awards

I know guys who are in their early twenties who are going straight from flight school onto the 380...

TNT88

TNT88

Hates Pedo

• 3,461 posts

User's Awards

2    14       71      

I know guys who are in their early twenties who are going straight from flight school onto the 380...

Only if the Airlines only operates A380 in their entire fleet.

bAnderson

bAnderson

Timeless

• 2,139 posts

Okay, SB, what should I be doing?

wgOP4y0.jpg

Speed Bird

Speed Bird

AE Addict

• 866 posts

User's Awards

Okay, SB, what should I be doing?

Well I don't really know enough about the steps required to qualify for the profession in the States I'm afraid.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users