Photo

Air Traffic Controller job disscussion

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

Pilot1868

Pilot1868

AE Player

• 26 posts

I saw there was a post about Pilot Job disscussion but there wasn't anything related to other jobs in the aviation industry.

I want to become a ATC and so I would like to hear if anyone has any suggestions?

Here is a article that I found on how to become a ATC: http://www.wikihow.c...ffic-Controller

Guest_Eastwind CEO_*

Guest_Eastwind CEO_*
  • Guests

Don't fall asleep

TNT88

TNT88

Hates Pedo

• 3,458 posts

User's Awards

2    14       71      

And don't panic even if you saw plane blow up on the runway, basically you have to be robot to be able to work on the tower. Other than that, your not gonna get the job.

Chubby Bear

Chubby Bear

AE's Noob

• 1,213 posts

User's Awards

2    5      

Wow what an interesting choice. I'm currently studying 1st year at ATNS  ( air traffic and navigational services ) through Airports company South Africa. It is a very difficult course with lots of students leaving because of it. You have to be very focused and this has to be your ultimate goal because your going to have to work very hard to get there. We study long and weird hours but the reward so far has been great. We observed at O.R Tambo Johannesburg Airport Control Tower for a week to see what it was really like. Its Exciting!. From next year onwards I will be doing simulator training as well and also 3rd year you can train if you do well enough at the control tower itself as a trainee controller. Cant Wait! anyways if I were you I would make sure that my Math's skills and English skills are up there with the best of them, Especially math's, everything and anything in the Air traffic controller course is math's related somehow. Also you have to be calm, collected person who can work very well under extreme stress and will not be freaked out by emergencies ( Crashes ) ,  also you have to have no criminal record and have to be medically fit. I Have family who do this job and they tell me that even though they work long hours it is their passion and would not want any other job on earth. so If that is what you really want to do just like me. I would say go for it, nothing but your own attitude towards it will stop you from achieving to become a Air Traffic Controller. Apply everywhere and goodluck

South-Africa_240-animated-flag-gifs.gifNew-Zealand_240-animated-flag-gifs.gif

9IYxwsM.png

ND7sS8w.jpg

#AspireMember  #EnvoyMember #Unknown Alien Species #WorldAllianceMember

Pilot1868

Pilot1868

AE Player

• 26 posts

Don't fall asleep

Wow.....I didn't think of that - you changed my life [sarcasm]. Please don't spam useless tips any more.... 

And don't panic even if you saw plane blow up on the runway, basically you have to be robot to be able to work on the tower. Other than that, your not gonna get the job.

Again such great advice [NOT]......

Pilot1868

Pilot1868

AE Player

• 26 posts

Don't fall asleep

Wow.....I didn't think of that - you changed my life [sarcasm]. Please don't spam useless tips any more.... 

Wow what an interesting choice. I'm currently studying 1st year at ATNS  ( air traffic and navigational services ) through Airports company South Africa. It is a very difficult course with lots of students leaving because of it. You have to be very focused and this has to be your ultimate goal because your going to have to work very hard to get there. We study long and weird hours but the reward so far has been great. We observed at O.R Tambo Johannesburg Airport Control Tower for a week to see what it was really like. Its Exciting!. From next year onwards I will be doing simulator training as well and also 3rd year you can train if you do well enough at the control tower itself as a trainee controller. Cant Wait! anyways if I were you I would make sure that my Math's skills and English skills are up there with the best of them, Especially math's, everything and anything in the Air traffic controller course is math's related somehow. Also you have to be calm, collected person who can work very well under extreme stress and will not be freaked out by emergencies ( Crashes ) ,  also you have to have no criminal record and have to be medically fit. I Have family who do this job and they tell me that even though they work long hours it is their passion and would not want any other job on earth. so If that is what you really want to do just like me. I would say go for it, nothing but your own attitude towards it will stop you from achieving to become a Air Traffic Controller. Apply everywhere and goodluck

Thanks for the advice and good luck to you too ;)

TNT88

TNT88

Hates Pedo

• 3,458 posts

User's Awards

2    14       71      

Hey, I'm just trying to help here, it's serious, you can't panic or stop what you're doing when something wrong happen. Ever play dinner dash? Can't let the plane waiting for too long otherwise they would be a stuck up in the airport airspace. Did you read what happen with those pilot and ATC guy who get into spat recently? You can't have that.

Guest_Eastwind CEO_*

Guest_Eastwind CEO_*
  • Guests

I'm sure it would have helped the Ronald Reagan air controllers...

Hawai'ian

Hawai'ian

Friendly Neighborhood Rocky

• 315 posts

*using Wikihow to learn how to become an ATC*

:giggle:

Pilot1868

Pilot1868

AE Player

• 26 posts

*using Wikihow to learn how to become an ATC*

:giggle:

Well a real life ATC recommended it too me, don't know if it's any good.... and again if you don't have anything helpful than just keep it to yourself....

Hey, I'm just trying to help here, it's serious [...]

I'm talking about real tips on BECOMING a ATC not something obvious like that.....you can also say that you must eat a good breakfast, have a good nights sleep and etc........

Oggey

Oggey

Disgusting, sick, and nasty member

• 1,006 posts

That's quite cool. Considering going for an ATC education myself. Good pay, Aviation related etc. Was it hard to get in? From the little I have reasearched it seemed kind of hard

12ca1c99cc.png

Chubby Bear

Chubby Bear

AE's Noob

• 1,213 posts

User's Awards

2    5      

Oh yea, I had to write entrance tests and also had 3 interviews. There was quite a long waiting list of applicants who wanted to get in so I guess I was very lucky. But It was well worth it and I would recommend it to anyone. What was funny for me is the amount of people actually interested in becoming an Air Traffic Controller. I just thought it was one of those niche careers that not many people really know about/care about, oh how I was proved wrong....

9IYxwsM.png

ND7sS8w.jpg

TNT88

TNT88

Hates Pedo

• 3,458 posts

User's Awards

2    14       71      

Well a real life ATC recommended it too me, don't know if it's any good.... and again if you don't have anything helpful than just keep it to yourself....

I'm talking about real tips on BECOMING a ATC not something obvious like that.....you can also say that you must eat a good breakfast, have a good nights sleep and etc........

Eating good breakfast and goodnight sleep is a common sense....

Anyway you would be working around 90 to 120 minutes depending on what the airport decided, and then you would have 30 to 60 minutes break after each sessions, is it informative enough now?

Guest_Eastwind CEO_*

Guest_Eastwind CEO_*
  • Guests

Anyway you would be working around 90 to 120 minutes depending on what the airport decided, and then you would have 30 to 60 minutes break after each sessions, is it informative enough now?

You'd only work 2 hours a day :huh:

TNT88

TNT88

Hates Pedo

• 3,458 posts

User's Awards

2    14       71      

You'd only work 2 hours a day :huh:

Nope, you work within 8 hours a day, but you only work on the tower for around 90 minutes to 120 minutes and then you get resting time for 30 to 60 minutes, after the rest you go back again for another 90 or 120 minutes. So 2 hours for work, 1 hour rest, and then another 2 hours for work, and them another 1 hour rest, and then the final shift for another 2 hours. If I'm not mistaken, busier airport like Heathrow or JFK, you usually get shorter work shift, because you need full concentration for busy airport.

Pilot1868

Pilot1868

AE Player

• 26 posts

Yes better [and I already knew ;) ]

Chubby Bear

Chubby Bear

AE's Noob

• 1,213 posts

User's Awards

2    5      

yes at Johannesburg O.R Tambo it works like that. 2 Hours work and 30 min break . Very tiring work

9IYxwsM.png

ND7sS8w.jpg

TNT88

TNT88

Hates Pedo

• 3,458 posts

User's Awards

2    14       71      

At least the pay is really good

SirMoo

SirMoo

Rawr?

• 497 posts

The stress is the worst. There are a few stories of ATC committing suicide after accidents on their shift that were not even directly their fault. Most notable is the one where the two planes crashed midair in Europe and one was full of kids.

If you can't handle real time stress then it's hardly the job for you. You have to be confident in yourself because it's not like flying, you don't have just the lives of the people in the plane... you have the lives of everyone in every plane that is under your watch. The psychological effects can be a bit tough for some.

Hake.

Hake.

Too Old For All This Jazz

• 4,295 posts
  • Skype Name:billfoster123

User's Awards

Firstly, that Air Traffic Controller was murdered. And I know someone who knows someone who's an ATC. Pressure is massive but if you're determined…

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users