3D Airplane model along!

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

Med.

Med.

Professional Lover

• 838 posts

User's Awards

Hi. You may know me as the one who creates these 3D liveries in AE. They are actually renders from 3D aircraft models I create, which I sell online. Here's the full list of my products at turbosquid.com.

I have decided to create a tutorial on how I make these models so you can make your own! I will show you step by step as I create a new model from scratch. I will update until I have finished. You may post questions and I'll try my best to answer them.

So first of all, decide what aircraft you wish to model. In this case I will be modeling the Embraer E-jet series.

Before starting any model, you must research on the aircraft, get as much data as well as photo references as you can.

A useful reference are blueprints. Great quality ones, but often are payware can be fount at the-blueprints.com. If you know where to find, there are free and good quality blueprints as well on other sites.

Sample blueprint:

vfxiky.jpg

Some of these blueprints though are inaccurate and they show a limited view. So it is always good to have photo reference of the aircraft to see the entire aircraft at different angles and to see what's underneath the wings, engines, etc. A good place for photo references as you might be all familiar with is airliners.net with a huge database of high-quality photographs.

The program I will use is 3DS max 2014. Other versions of 3DS max may work the same way as well. You can download a free version which you can use for 3 years at autodesk.com/education or you can purchase the full version.

PHASE 1: Creating the 3-view box

Opening a new scene in 3DS max, you will be setting up a 3-view box that will enclose the entire model according to its overall length, width and height.

1. Create a "box". Adjust the length, width and height accordingly

9ifspj.jpg

2. Right click on "select and move" tool and enter everything to "0" for perfect alignment.

2cwlqao.jpg

3. Select the box > right click > convert to "editable mesh". Select "polygon" and delete the top and front polygons as well as one of the sides depending on where the blueprints are facing by clicking it and pressing "delete". Select all the remaining polygons and click "flip". "Detach" each polygon to make each of them into separate objects.

jj0bjt.jpg

4. Select one of the objects accordingly. This one in particular will be the SIDE. Click on the "material editor" which can be seen on the upper right of the window. In the material editor, drag and drop a "standard" material into the blank space. Looking down towards the Maps, drag and drop the "bitmap" option into the blank space and select the side blueprint image. 3DS max recognizes BMP, JPEG, PNG and many other image file types. (note: I have cropped the SIDE, TOP and FRONT blueprints into separate images). Link the bitmap to the "diffuse color" on the standard material. Click "put material to scene" then "show shaded material in viewport" which can be found at the top of the material editor window. Also, note that older versions of 3DS max has a material editor that works in a very different way. I won't be able to show you how that's done since I don't own an older version of 3DS max.

zj74gz.jpg

ogdwl0.jpg

5. This is what it might look like. Sometimes, the image may become inverted in the scene since it follows no coordinates. Fix this by creating a UVW map. Select the object and on the Modifier List drop-down menu, click on "UVW Map".

2eofwhi.jpg

6. In the UVW Map, select the "gizmo" and adjust the length and width accordingly. This is dependent on the dimensions of the image. I have cropped the image so that it fits to the dimensions of the aircraft. If you're using a square image, the gizmo must also be square to avoid distortion. Set also the alignment so that it follows the plane of your object. You may also move and rotate the gizmo.

2uoj2ft.jpg

7. Repeat steps 4, 5 and 6 on the other object planes.

16kz2r.jpg

You should end up with something like this:

2rgfdzt.jpg

PHASE 2: Coming soon!

iJIXDA4.png

KmaD8AM.png

TNT88

TNT88

Hates Pedo

• 3,461 posts

User's Awards

2    14       71      

is it gonna be very hard and complicated or is it gonna be simple model?

Med.

Med.

Professional Lover

• 838 posts

User's Awards

is it gonna be very hard and complicated or is it gonna be simple model?

First of all, don't be scared of hard and complicated things! :P

This model will at least be the same quality as the ones you see in my gallery.

If you want to follow along with the modeling, the method and principles are the same whether you make a simple model or and extravagant one.

iJIXDA4.png

KmaD8AM.png

SWMcCaig

SWMcCaig

AE Know It All

• 142 posts

Looks fun. Can't wait for 2nd installment!

FIwBmaF.png

TNT88

TNT88

Hates Pedo

• 3,461 posts

User's Awards

2    14       71      

First of all, don't be scared of hard and complicated things! :P

This model will at least be the same quality as the ones you see in my gallery.

If you want to follow along with the modeling, the method and principles are the same whether you make a simple model or and extravagant one.

Okay I'm waiting for the next tutorials then

KPV922

KPV922

AE Player

• 43 posts
Thank you for this!

Luft

Luft

IVIVI

• 1,213 posts

User's Awards

2          2   

When is the second installment coming? 

QITdCef.png

Med.

Med.

Professional Lover

• 838 posts

User's Awards

When is the second installment coming? 

Probably in several days to a few weeks as the 2nd part is the longest part. It involves actually modelling the aircraft. I'll probably cut it into parts. (2a, 2b, etc.)

3rd installment is texture mapping the aircraft which is a little bit shorter. 4th will be rendering the model which is the shortest and easiest.

iJIXDA4.png

KmaD8AM.png

Luft

Luft

IVIVI

• 1,213 posts

User's Awards

2          2   

Oh, okay, thank you!

QITdCef.png

AirstarAirways

AirstarAirways

CEO of Airstar Group

• 126 posts

Really interested in this topic. Any updates?

Md8XK1m.png

plk0HPW.png

Med.

Med.

Professional Lover

• 838 posts

User's Awards

Really interested in this topic. Any updates?

Thank you, but I feel that the AE demographic is not ready for 3D yet, so progress has stalled.

iJIXDA4.png

KmaD8AM.png

AirstarAirways

AirstarAirways

CEO of Airstar Group

• 126 posts

What about applying textures to already existing models in Sketchup or similar 3D programs?

Md8XK1m.png

plk0HPW.png

tom.

tom.

something soon.

• 765 posts
Hi med!

I know this topic has stopped a year ago but could you please continue it? I'm really interested in seeing more.

Also instead of blue prints.com could you just go on AE and when in a game world click the picture of the aircraft when you are leasing/buying it, it will take you to a page with the blueprint.

SKYWORLD ALLIANCE™ | Founder & Former CEO

UW | Former Member

b0UuKp1.png

AirstarAirways

AirstarAirways

CEO of Airstar Group

• 126 posts

Hey Medviation, can you at least explain the texturing part? I'm sure that there are many people that are keen on taking this on. Also, there are plenty of tutorials on modelling. Thanks in advance!

Md8XK1m.png

plk0HPW.png

Med.

Med.

Professional Lover

• 838 posts

User's Awards

Hey Medviation, can you at least explain the texturing part? I'm sure that there are many people that are keen on taking this on. Also, there are plenty of tutorials on modelling. Thanks in advance!

Basically:

Material dictates what material is the object made of. You link the image file to the material to show what the material actually looks like.

UVW Map dictates how the image is projected on the object.

iJIXDA4.png

KmaD8AM.png

carlacain

carlacain

• 1 posts

The role of personal statement for nursing school is not only to present yourself but also to create an advanced profile of a candidate. Considering that committee members read hundreds of personal statement, it is logical to assume that they are interested in something that goes beyond a regular profile as you can see in nursing entrance essay https://essays-lab.c...of-purpose.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users