Photo

World starting in 1919

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

Poll: World Starting in 1919 (156 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you want a world starting in 1919

1. Voted Yes, I would (115 votes [73.72%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 73.72%

2. Voted No, I wouldn't (41 votes [26.28%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 26.28%

Vote Guests cannot vote

zipp

zipp

POLARIS ALLIANCE #1 FAN

• 3,340 posts

User's Awards

Ok, so I was thinking, how about a world that starts near the dawn of Airlines, 1919 to say 1950's or 60's

It would be similar in speed to R2 (3 Game days/Hour) and the starting aircraft would be things like the Farman F.60 Goliath, The Junkers F.13 and the Fokker F.II, excuse the wikipedia links, I cannot be bothered to do the research right now.

GcveK9y.png

f5RRaJZ.png

I want my gays illegal and my racism married

the DOC

the DOC

AE King

• 1,845 posts

User's Awards

2    3    4    3      
Data is a serious problem going back that far but I would really love to play this world

hayhaa

hayhaa

christs sake

• 1,681 posts

User's Awards

Agree with above

Northern

Northern

Data Collector

• Data Collector
  • 1,623 posts

User's Awards

2    2    4   

Well a 1919 world would be fantastic, however as a data collector i know how hard it is to collect data for pre 1950 aircraft, even the popular types, however if we had the data, of which i hope one day we will, we will hopefully have a earlier starting game.

banner_signature_northern.png

Filipino Airline Tycoon

Filipino Airline Tycoon

AE Addict To-Be

• 16 posts

At this very early part of Aviation History, the most efficient and economical plane would be the Douglas DC-3. It has the largest seating capacity and the longest range than any other aircraft during that time.

The problem is that for sure players would all select Douglas DC-3 as their fleet and other planes like Lockheed would be disregarded.

mxax-ai

mxax-ai

OMGZ I LUUUUV AE!!!

• 585 posts

User's Awards

3    3      

At this very early part of Aviation History, the most efficient and economical plane would be the Douglas DC-3. It has the largest seating capacity and the longest range than any other aircraft during that time.

The problem is that for sure players would all select Douglas DC-3 as their fleet and other planes like Lockheed would be disregarded.

Wrong.
As demand is huge, you need ridiculous amounts of planes to cover it. As one family alone cannot cover that demand, you must buy atleast two, if not more or even all families possible. Unless an aircraft is economically absoultely unfeasible, it will be bought in larger numbers.
The major problem I see, as has been pointed out, is the lack of passenger transport planes prior to 1930 and data gathering in general.

Yuxi

Yuxi

AE Developer

• AE Developer
  • 4,364 posts
Lack of data gathering and not being able to reflect changing political boundaries and restrictions are the two biggest issues with really old words.

Syllei'Anor

Syllei'Anor

AE Player

• 56 posts

while i like the idea of an earlyer world, i think that 1919 is too early, i think maby start around 1925 at the earlyest, and then you also have planes such as the commet, and the early Boeing, and Airbus, but one disaddvantage would be all the political ristrictions, caused by te second world war, and the cold war, so it might have to be a non-pollitically ristricted world.

berubium

berubium

AE Luver

• 331 posts

User's Awards

Wrong.
As demand is huge, you need ridiculous amounts of planes to cover it. As one family alone cannot cover that demand, you must buy atleast two, if not more or even all families possible. Unless an aircraft is economically absoultely unfeasible, it will be bought in larger numbers.
The major problem I see, as has been pointed out, is the lack of passenger transport planes prior to 1930 and data gathering in general.

I agree with this completely.  For a world starting this early, demand would have to be slashed to a fraction of what it is currently, otherwise everyone would be buying every last plane they can just to keep up with demand.  You'd likely see hundreds of weekly frequencies on routes that aren't even considered trunk routes.  I would estimate about 95% or so of overall demand would need to be eliminated to give even some sense of realism here.  With the current demand model, this would end up locking out large portions of the world (Africa, Central Asia) from airline service creating a game where everyone is concentrated in the US, Europe, or Eastern Asia.

Yuxi's point about political restrictions is a good one as well.  If we had a world going back that early, it would be interesting to have the depression simulated in that demand plummets during the 1930s, but with the huge swings in the global economy and the political instability experienced in the first half of the 20th century, I think there are just too many variables to be able to set up a world that even remotely represents those years with any kind of accuracy.  I wouldn't bother with a world that predates the end of WW2.

That being said, I understand that not everyone cares for realism or historical accuracy.  Some would rather assemble fleets of old-school aircraft & that's okay too.  It is a game after all I guess.

Berubium.png

the DOC

the DOC

AE King

• 1,845 posts

User's Awards

2    3    4    3      

To be honest I would just like to create an old airline with the old aircraft

zipp

zipp

POLARIS ALLIANCE #1 FAN

• 3,340 posts

User's Awards

We have R0 which does it…
Back to the point, I would be willing to attempt to research the data and pass that on to the right people.

GcveK9y.png

f5RRaJZ.png

the DOC

the DOC

AE King

• 1,845 posts

User's Awards

2    3    4    3      

When I mean old.. I mean 1910s and 1920s

zipp

zipp

POLARIS ALLIANCE #1 FAN

• 3,340 posts

User's Awards

We could do maybe 1930s so your DC-2s etc

GcveK9y.png

f5RRaJZ.png

the DOC

the DOC

AE King

• 1,845 posts

User's Awards

2    3    4    3      

I have a book with a production timeline (which aircraft being produced when) so if that'd help I'll try dig it out

Airplanepilot501

Airplanepilot501

Private Pilot

• 57 posts

Airports are a problem with old world because most airports today did not exist back in 1919 or 1930. And the runways where getting lengthened during the 30's 40's and 50's. But it will still be an intresting wolrd to play in.

1312Low-plane-landing.gif

jmOio.jpg

zipp

zipp

POLARIS ALLIANCE #1 FAN

• 3,340 posts

User's Awards

Airports are a problem with old world because most airports today did not exist back in 1919 or 1930. And the runways where getting lengthened during the 30's 40's and 50's. But it will still be an intresting wolrd to play in.

That doesn't stop people flying to Narita before it was opened :whistle:

GcveK9y.png

f5RRaJZ.png

the DOC

the DOC

AE King

• 1,845 posts

User's Awards

2    3    4    3      
Well I'm currently rooting around with the old Douglas aircraft to help make an earlier world possible. One big problem for them is engine data. Anyone know where to get some...

zipp

zipp

POLARIS ALLIANCE #1 FAN

• 3,340 posts

User's Awards

Well I'm currently rooting around with the old Douglas aircraft to help make an earlier world possible. One big problem for them is engine data. Anyone know where to get some...

I could help you on that :)

GcveK9y.png

f5RRaJZ.png

the DOC

the DOC

AE King

• 1,845 posts

User's Awards

2    3    4    3      

I could help you on that :)

Well I can give you the data I already have t the moment and if you can add it to the engine data it can be added :P Or maybe you could link me to engine data so I can have a look if I have any spare time

Ioh

Ioh

Baaauussss

• 1,649 posts

I started an aircraft requests topic with a whole bunch of pre-1930's aircraft. Im sure this could be done

ADWAM.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users