Photo

Why do many players bahve stupid (make stupid decisions)

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

rubiohiguey

rubiohiguey

AE Player

• 63 posts

One of the stupidest decisions is a price war, especially if you are much smaller airline.

What I do not understand why competitors undercut each other all the way to the brink of collapse. I have seen a good profitable route shrink to almost zero from hundreds of thousands of $$$ of profit. If both players maintain status quo and share capacity (I have determined that even with over capacity of up to 100% route can still be very profitable especially with connecting traffic).

But there si somehow always present the "ME factor", meaning "me" has to have more profit than the competitor, even for just couple of hours until he matches/undercuts my price. If I undercut, the logical response is "you mean war" and undercutting keeps on going.

Why do some players/people need to ahve 100% load factor on trunk routes and bring the route to collapse because they cannot stand to share the profits? In the end, both lose, because the route is no longer profitable and neither makes money. Had both stayed put, the profits for each other would be individually smaller, but together they would make good chunk of money and the route would stay juicy profitable.

I know this is the game, bit it's stupid behavior. I have business education and one of the basic things I understand is that price wars do not help anybody. Unfortunately in AE there is no other factor as to attract customers from competitor even by having higher price (good ife, marketing, etc.). But still even in this game the logical behavior is to share. It's better 50% of 1000 than 100% of 100 after teh route's profits go to almost zero.

I have seen many competitors who behave logically. They put reasonable additional capacity and match the price. If the original airline stays put it has less money but still very good profits. But there are some competitors who drop the price (undercut) once a competitor appears on their route, in a futile attempt to regain original traffic. Yet some other competitors,w hen they come to an existing route, double or triple the capacity and undercut the going price. Yes they get some more money for a while, but once the original airline finds out, it either matches the price (if behaving logically) or undercuts (if behaving emotionally) and the price war ensues.

So again the question: why do so many people / players behave illogically, and prefer short term profit with long term route degradation over the long term route stability?

jrbaytown

jrbaytown

Work Hard, Fly Right

• 23 posts

User's Awards

I'm a new player and have much to learn, but I do not agree with you at all.  Just because someone doesn't play how you want them to, doesn't mean it is illogical or stupid.  Price wars can be beneficial long-term and eliminate the smaller competitors, giving you full access to the route.  On the other hand, some moves may be illogical and that is okay.  People are illogical.

If I want a route badly enough and can manage to undercut the competition, I will.  I don't want to be labeled in this game, but I'm not going to play to someone's "perfect world" rule book.

Why maintain status quo?  That'd be one hell of a boring game.

--Ross

Stevphfeniey

Stevphfeniey

Bad m*****f*****

• 4,249 posts

Because AE money actually matters

please don't kill us we're just the aquabats

The Best Discord Server

ar157

ar157

Resident Australian Arnimal

• 1,476 posts

User's Awards

I've no idea why you're applying the things you've learnt from your business education on AE because AE is anything similar to the real world. Basically dump seats and offer low fares and you win.

the DOC

the DOC

AE King

• 1,845 posts

User's Awards

2    3    4    3      

I've no idea why you're applying the things you've learnt from your business education on AE because AE is anything similar to the real world. Basically dump seats and offer low fares and you win.

True

And in this game, lots of short term profit=win

Issac1709

Issac1709

Youtuber and AE Player

• 74 posts

You know my country has only 1 airport so i need to kill off as many airlines as i can

i-air (R7)

i-air/i-air connection (S2)

muttley44

muttley44

AE Player

• 38 posts

I always love those who undercut you and it does not affect your capacity, real world or sim seems pretty stupid. Or undercut them watch them do the same, then put your price back up whist still maintaining capacity.

rubiohiguey

rubiohiguey

AE Player

• 63 posts

OK, good to know that the general "playbook" on AE is dump seats and undercut fares.

As97ir

As97ir

AE Player

• 25 posts

AE players including me love to do that to protect our hub from others , because the competitor will grow bigger and bigger and eventually destroy you , happened to me plenty of times  

QDFXa.png

Hake.

Hake.

Too Old For All This Jazz

• 4,295 posts
  • Skype Name:billfoster123

User's Awards

Check my sig... :D  It says anything you need to know. I didn't just put it up there either.

zipp

zipp

POLARIS ALLIANCE #1 FAN

• 3,340 posts

User's Awards

This has to be the stupiest thread in history, AE "passengers" are programed to go for the lowest price, not best IFS/IFE..

GcveK9y.png

f5RRaJZ.png

I want my gays illegal and my racism married

mrinalverma74

mrinalverma74

Airbus lover boeing fan

• 71 posts

I usually select the routes which have a lower load facter than 70% and auto price them

Hake.

Hake.

Too Old For All This Jazz

• 4,295 posts
  • Skype Name:billfoster123

User's Awards

I usually select the routes which have a lower load facter than 70% and auto price them

What exactly is auto pricing? In my 2 years on AE I've never bothered checking...

Yuxi

Yuxi

AE Developer

• AE Developer
  • 4,364 posts

What exactly is auto pricing? In my 2 years on AE I've never bothered checking...

I think he means the "Match lowest price" function. Real autopricing was removed from AE a few years ago.

kevinasia

kevinasia

• 2 posts

All relaxe - just a game not realy life. No harm to try things and also no need to get frustrated (and btw also in real life market players don't always behave logical ;)).

konj1

konj1

whatever

• 562 posts

User's Awards

3       3    3      

I don't think only low price wins as it is in the game, when a price war starts on some of my routes I just match what my opponents set and they don't even notice it, I'm rarely trying to lower fare prices, even if I have similar or even a bit worse IFS I usually get 100% pax from the route with a bit of tuning if it's not more than three times full then demand, even if a lot of them are connecting passengers (and I almost exclusively fly routes from my hubs, so it's covered), it's still much better then a price war bringing profits to zero. I'm lowballing only those airlines that I'm really annoyed with and want them bankrupt, if I don't think I can crash them, I'm usually not doing it.

But yeah, some players' strategy will always be mesmerising for me, I mean, some have no cash, no planes, but they go in a price war with the big guys instead of trying to find new routes, I think it's lazy and stupid. When I enter the game as an underdog, I'm steering clear of any filled routes until I get enough cash and when I know what I'm trying to accomplish with a direct conflict...

rubiohiguey

rubiohiguey

AE Player

• 63 posts

konj1 10+ especially the second part

rubiohiguey

rubiohiguey

AE Player

• 63 posts

Ok, another stupid behavior I have just seen on one of my routes:

The demand is not yet even met (more seats can still be put on the route) and the competitor beats my price. Come on, it is a secondary route so not as you expect it to have much competition in the future. It does not do anything for my load or my revenue. But it does for HIS. This is as stupid as it gets. Some people are just clicking without thinking even for a second what they are doing.

mxax-ai

mxax-ai

OMGZ I LUUUUV AE!!!

• 585 posts

User's Awards

3    3      

I don't think only low price wins as it is in the game, when a price war starts on some of my routes I just match what my opponents set and they don't even notice it, I'm rarely trying to lower fare prices, even if I have similar or even a bit worse IFS I usually get 100% pax from the route with a bit of tuning if it's not more than three times full then demand, even if a lot of them are connecting passengers (and I almost exclusively fly routes from my hubs, so it's covered), it's still much better then a price war bringing profits to zero. I'm lowballing only those airlines that I'm really annoyed with and want them bankrupt, if I don't think I can crash them, I'm usually not doing it.

But yeah, some players' strategy will always be mesmerising for me, I mean, some have no cash, no planes, but they go in a price war with the big guys instead of trying to find new routes, I think it's lazy and stupid. When I enter the game as an underdog, I'm steering clear of any filled routes until I get enough cash and when I know what I'm trying to accomplish with a direct conflict...

Actually, I've found to make a good profit going on big routes with ~ 400% market satisfaction when adding about the original demand as capacity and do a lower price. All the other airlines 1) don't care anyway and 2) don't feel such a big impact.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users