Photo

What Would You Do With $2,000,000 and Unlimited Slots?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

Hake.

Hake.

Too Old For All This Jazz

• 4,295 posts
  • Skype Name:billfoster123

User's Awards

First of all, within reason!

$2,000,000, €1,500,000, £1,250,000, 150,000,000 cent; call it what you want.

I want to know the name, where you'd fly from and to, what planes you'd fly with, roughly how much you'd charge, whatever business model (LCC, Executive etc...) and where your base would be. These are just guidelines.

Put a livery up if you want.

Personally,

I would call myself: South East Airways/ Southeast

I would set up in: Waterford (WAT), Ireland

I would fly to: London Luton (cargo via SWS) daily and Brest/ Nantes (maybe connecting to Paris)in Summer.

I would use: 2 rented ATR 42s, 1 for passengers and 1 for cargo.

I would charge: €75 to London, €100 to France

I would provide a quality service, free snacks etc.

I would have bases in Waterford and Galway (GWY). Basically, fly GWY-WAT-LTN, picking up the pieces for Aer Arann.

PS. I don't care if you don't like my livery.

Attached Files

Stevphfeniey

Stevphfeniey

Bad m*****f*****

• 4,249 posts

You obviously know zero things about actually starting up airlines

please don't kill us we're just the aquabats

The Best Discord Server

rubiohiguey

rubiohiguey

AE Player

• 63 posts

I would spend the $2 million to line up funding of at least $100 million to start up LCC in Colombia/Panama/Costa Rica area and generate LCC competition on international routes to AviancaTaca, LATAM and Copa Airlines. Then I would lease couple of A319-s, about 10 year old, which are not that old as to cost a fortune in maintenance and are also not that expensive to lease, later on maybe 2 years into operation I would also get bigger A320-200s. As far as leasing, lessors now hold about 25% of the worldwide airliner fleet and take as much as 45% of new deliveries according to Airline Business magazine. So going after 10-year lods, beside reasonable price and reasonable maintenance costs, would also NOT put me in direct competition with bigger airlines who want to lease brand new airliners just of the belt. Also, because lessors are now worried about residual values of older airliners as 737max and 320neo s are being introduced. So I might work out a pretty good deal for these "older" but not old, airliners.So lease, not buy.

I would begin with routes to USA, as that is the natural market of all Latin America. Part of the funding would go into extensive marketing, especially ads on cable, a sit is proven middle class that has cable is the one that flies, so free to air TV would be out, very expensive, and you get bigger bang for your buck on cable. I would aim to hire lower-rank top executive from a  competing airline (e.g. vice presidents or alike) of course if they are qualified and would offer them some % stake in the company. They would know their former employees inside out and I would get valuable insight for just a couple of % of ownership stake (no more than 5%). I would probably base out of Medellin to start, then after couple of years open up second base in Bogota. I would not go to start direct in Bogota so AviancaTaca does not eat me. I would also look on opening a second focus city in San Jose Costa Rica, as former Lacsa cut on many direct flights from SJO hub in favor of connections through Bogota.

I would strive for a low cost model with certain amenities. i would offer IFE but probably not the virgin-america style that made them almost bankrupt, bu more likely Jetblue style. There would be one class of service, but with premium seats in the front (premium economy) where I would offer newspaper and a better food. The food would be a sandwich, subway-style. Economy would get a basic ham and cheese and premium economy would get maybe turkey breast or cuban style sandwich. But it would be cold, no heated food. Cuts down on cost. drinks: water, and soft drinks from 2-liter (64oz) bottles, served into cheap plastic cups. Premium economy would get more expensive cheap plastic cups. I might offer cheap whiskey or rum served in premium economy, again from big bottles. The alcohol would be domestically produced, so no Johny Walker Black or Bacardi Premium. A cheap (but not lethal) locally produced brown/clear liquid. I would offer advanced seat assignments for people who do everything online. I would open up sections of the plane as the bookings come in, so the sooner you book the more up front the plane you sit. This will also give you the boarding group, so you know that if you book at the last moment, you will sit on the back of the plane and board last. This is meant as an incentive to far advanced bookings, helps with cash flow.

... maybe I will write some more things later on.

**OLT@22.Hrvatska**

**OLT@22.Hrvatska**

CEO Of The Blue1 Brand

• 61 posts

User's Awards

2    2      
If I had the money, I would spend it on a nice house, car, life and create an airline on this fine website.

I Have Flown on: ATR 72, Q400, Airbus: 319, 320, 330 Boeing:737-800, 747-8, 767-300ER, Embrear 175,190

Yuxi

Yuxi

AE Developer

• AE Developer
  • 4,365 posts

If I had the money, I would make a REAL airline.

With $2,000,000 I'm sure you'll go far :whistling:

lake

lake

OMGZ I LUUUUV AE!!!

• 717 posts

I'd take the 2 million, put it in my bank account. Then I'd have 2 million more than anyone stupid enough to found an airline. 

(Maybe I'd invest it in some non-airline company)

Signature.png

To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift.

Steve Prefontaine

mrinalverma74

mrinalverma74

Airbus lover boeing fan

• 71 posts

I will sit at my sofa and enjoy the life but also donate some money to charity

rubiohiguey

rubiohiguey

AE Player

• 63 posts

I'd take the 2 million, put it in my bank account. Then I'd have 2 million more than anyone stupid enough to found an airline. 

(Maybe I'd invest it in some non-airline company)

There are numerous examples how startup airline can become successful. All of the currently successful operating LCCs were startup one day .... Easyjet, Air Berlin, Azul, Jetblue, Westjet, Air Asia, are just some examples from each continent which were all started in the last decade.

the DOC

the DOC

AE King

• 1,845 posts

User's Awards

2    3    4    3      
I would do is.... Spend it on hurlin D:

Guest_Eastwind CEO_*

Guest_Eastwind CEO_*
  • Guests

First thing I would teach you how to make liveries. Then I would buy a plane and crash it.

the DOC

the DOC

AE King

• 1,845 posts

User's Awards

2    3    4    3      

First thing I would teach you how to make liveries. Then I would buy a plane and crash it.

XD

Hake.

Hake.

• 4,295 posts

User's Awards

I asked what you would do if you had 2 million to set up an airline. Not 2 million to do whatever you want.

Hake.

Hake.

• 4,295 posts

User's Awards

You obviously know zero things about actually starting up airlines

What do you mean? If you're saying mine wouldn't be profitable actually Aer Arann said it would be except Aer Lingus don't like the idea of flying to small airports, unless IT INVOLVES A PSO CONTRACT or a certain TRUCKING COMPANY forces them to fly somewhere. Now that's what killed Waterford and Galway airports. Maybe bad planning in Galway's case.

Guest_Eastwind CEO_*

Guest_Eastwind CEO_*
  • Guests

I'd buy delta XD

Hake.

Hake.

• 4,295 posts

User's Awards

I'd buy delta XD

With 2 million? Good luck. The only airline you could probably buy for 2 million is Cityjet (the real one). How can they make losses of €50 million per year with 23 Fokker F-50s, 15 BAe Avros and 2 Fairchild Dorniers 328s? I couldn't lose that much if I tried. I would buy it and scrap/ sell everything except 2 or 3 planes and use them. :thumbsup:

Guest_Eastwind CEO_*

Guest_Eastwind CEO_*
  • Guests

With 2 million? Good luck. The only airline you could probably buy for 2 million is Cityjet (the real one). How can they make losses of €50 million per year with 23 Fokker F-50s, 15 BAe Avros and 2 Fairchild Dorniers 328s? I couldn't lose that much if I tried. I would buy it and scrap/ sell everything except 2 or 3 planes and use them. :thumbsup:

I was joking :/

lake

lake

OMGZ I LUUUUV AE!!!

• 717 posts

There are numerous examples how startup airline can become successful. All of the currently successful operating LCCs were startup one day .... Easyjet, Air Berlin, Azul, Jetblue, Westjet, Air Asia, are just some examples from each continent which were all started in the last decade.

Yeah, no. Those airlines all started at the beginning of the LCC phase. They didn't have much competition. Now, they'd love to smash me to bits if I started an airline. See the newer LCC startups (Skybus, Independence Air, Western, ATA, Access Air, Southeast.) How'd those work out?

Essentially, airlines are not money making investments.

Signature.png

To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift.

Steve Prefontaine

Hake.

Hake.

• 4,295 posts

User's Awards

Yeah, no. Those airlines all started at the beginning of the LCC phase. They didn't have much competition. Now, they'd love to smash me to bits if I started an airline. See the newer LCC startups (Skybus, Independence Air, Western, ATA, Access Air, Southeast.) How'd those work out?

Essentially, airlines are not money making investments.

Change my plane to an A320 series, change 'Waterford' to 'Dublin South' and halve my prices. Change 'Galway' to 'Connaught International'. BS names like that. There we go, pure profit! And take the snacks :P . Easyjet won't interfere and Ryanair can't! (They won't fit off the runway).

Personally,

I would call myself: South East Airways/ Southeast

I would set up in: Waterford (WAT), Ireland

I would fly to: London Luton (cargo via SWS) daily and Brest/ Nantes (maybe connecting to Paris)in Summer.

I would use: 2 rented ATR 42s, 1 for passengers and 1 for cargo.

I would charge: €75 to London, €100 to France

I would provide a quality service, free snacks etc.

I would have bases in Waterford and Galway (GWY). Basically, fly GWY-WAT-LTN, picking up the pieces for Aer Arann.

mrinalverma74

mrinalverma74

Airbus lover boeing fan

• 71 posts

I asked what you would do if you had 2 million to set up an airline. Not 2 million to do whatever you want.

You know, this is is more intresting than starting an airline. :guillotine:

ar157

ar157

Resident Australian Arnimal

• 1,476 posts

User's Awards

I'm 13. What do I know about business?

I take it you imply you don't know much, but... have you ever wondered how expensive an aircraft is..?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users