Photo

Pacific Islands Airports

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

Duck

Duck

Totally Quackers

• 68 posts

I believe the passenger demand in the pacific islands is laughably low. For example, daily demand in AE between Nadi and Auckland is ~90 pax a day in Y. However, in reality, there are 20 flights a week between these two cities. Also, demand between Auckland and Rarotonga is very low, about 12 pax a day if I remember correctly, when there are actually 16 flights a week. (I am using Auckland because that is where my current airline is based, not sure of the figures from Oz). While I understand you are very busy, it would be nice if you could have a look at this, and it would be much appreciated. 

Thanks

(I am happy to do some research into the actual passengers if that would help)

He who fights with monsters should take care, lest he become a rubber duck

Sheepy

Sheepy

N/A

• 1,935 posts

User's Awards

Rarotonga used to be decent, about 90Y demand, which, despite being low, made daily narrowbody flights possible. However the last data, err, 'enhancement' resulted in the already low demand Pacific Island airports to become even lower.

Basically, the pacific doesn't fit well with the demand model.

The demand between Auckland and the Pacific is probably something that needs to be manually adjusted. It's definitely not the only market that would benefit from this.

And to those saying "There are 2,000,000 city pairs, have fun finding demand for all of them!", I'd like to point out that most city pairs have fairly decent demand, it's just thinks like SYD-NAN, AKL-RAR, AKL-LAX, SYD-MEL, even HND-CTS which simply don't fit with the demand model we have in place and need to be adjusted

Administrator of UnitedSkies alliance

and also a member of some other ones, but they're 2vip4u

Moldova96

Moldova96

AE Winner

• AE Moderator / Data Collector
  • 2,024 posts

This is not something that can be changed, without the way demand is calculated being changed.

eu30cUI.png

Nexus8

Nexus8

Football Wingback

• 2,389 posts

User's Awards

I like how to cities of 50 k pax a year can have a demand of 1 daily, When In reality it is most likely nobody has EVER flown between them :giggle:

Signature%203.png

Duck

Duck

Totally Quackers

• 68 posts

Yeah, i agree with foxtrident, could there be some exceptions? I'm not asking for all 2000+ tiny airports in the pacific to be overhauled, just a few large hubs. (Nadi, Rarotonga and Apia).

Keyelem

Keyelem

I happen to be Dutch.. I also happen to be a Data Collector...

• Data Collector
  • 192 posts

There are so many city pairs with an unrealistic demand, but there is nothing that can be done about it at the moment...

Anyway, the ''Airport Request'' subforum isn't the correct place for suggestions about the demand calculation, this subforum is only intended for requests about airports.

The correct forum for these suggestions is the main "Suggestions and Feature Requests" forum: http://www.airline-e...ature-requests/

eu30cUI.png

Duck

Duck

Totally Quackers

• 68 posts

Okay, well this may help a little. There are new(er) figures for the total passenger movements at Nadi. The 2011 figures, which I pulled off a document provided by Nadi Airport are 2,231,172 passengers, not the 1,890,172

passengers shown on AE, which are the 2009 figures. I am happy to look up other passenger number figures in the pacific and new zealand for you if you want newer data. Sorry, Its taken a while, been on holiday with limited internet.

Thanks

Northern

Northern

Data Collector

• Data Collector
  • 1,623 posts

User's Awards

2    2    4   

Ill take a look into the is and see check other data sources - To speed up the process please could you provide me a link to your source.

Cheers 

Northern

banner_signature_northern.png

Duck

Duck

Totally Quackers

• 68 posts

http://www.airportsf..._reprt_2011.pdf

Thats the report I pulled it from, let me know if theres any others you want me to find :)

Northern

Northern

Data Collector

• Data Collector
  • 1,623 posts

User's Awards

2    2    4   

I can only find the current AE data within that document, so at current it will have to stay the same :P

Duck

Duck

Totally Quackers

• 68 posts

Attached File  Nadi.jpg   52.49KB   2 downloads

Attached File  nadi2.jpg   108.03KB   1 downloads

Thats interesting...

Northern

Northern

Data Collector

• Data Collector
  • 1,623 posts

User's Awards

2    2    4   
Wasn't that the islands total traffic? And not just Nandis

Keyelem

Keyelem

I happen to be Dutch.. I also happen to be a Data Collector...

• Data Collector
  • 192 posts

I took a look at the provided document myself; and I can confirm that the current number on AE is the 2011 PAX number;

gqo8.png

(1,654,362+212,276=1,886,638)

2,231,172 is the total amount of passengers on the 15 airports in Fiji.

eu30cUI.png

Duck

Duck

Totally Quackers

• 68 posts

opps my bad shouldve listened to the experts

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users