• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

miller22 (inactive)

miller22 (inactive)

AE Developer

• AE Developer
  • 607 posts
  • AIM Screen Name:AeProjectManager
Time is harder and harder to find for the Ae project, and I'm considering opening the project to some of the programmers who play the game in a limited open-source way. Due to the competition and some academic interest in Airline Empires, I can't open it totally to open source, but I am interested in hearing suggestions about perhaps working in a project management environment where the source code can still be protected.
Either PM me, email me, or post if you're qualified with PHP, MySQL, or sight design in large projects and we'll see if we can't get more of a community started to speed up and improve programming for the game.

Guest_nighthawk_*

Guest_nighthawk_*
  • Guests
I like the idea of opening the game up to allow otyhers to help program, however I dont think moving to fully open source is a good idea. I think all that will happen is others will create their own version of Airline Empires, each one progressing along its own development tree (aka Mozilla/Netscape/Firefox/Firefly etc etc)

What you need to do is get a project leader (perhaps yourself?) then anyone interested in adding a feature should contact you and request the job. That way you can ensure two people arent both implementing the same features...

For example I want to modify the "Distance Calculator" so it also shows what airlines are flying that route. I could request the job, then you could send me the required files and tell me the database structure etc. Once ive implemented it I can then send the files back to you, and you can merge them into the project, trying not to overwrite anything anyone else has changed etc....

miller22 (inactive)

miller22 (inactive)

AE Developer

• AE Developer
  • 607 posts
check your u2u

everotheleft

everotheleft

• 43 posts
I like the idea, too. Also php lends itself very well to this kind of deal, as all of the scripts should work independent of each other, with the only commonality being the database. Anyway, I'd love to take a crack at the stock market :D

Sunshine Airways CEO

Sunshine Airways CEO

• 568 posts

User's Awards

5    5      
would it be posible for someone to add new cities and/or aircraft till the game is fully reset?

miller22 (inactive)

miller22 (inactive)

AE Developer

• AE Developer
  • 607 posts
I've got a few hours, and am going to try to add a few more cities. It takes time because I have to find the cities already used and compare them, so I'll be adding a few at a time.

Sunshine Airways CEO

Sunshine Airways CEO

• 568 posts

User's Awards

5    5      
Just a little question. How much time does it take to add new aircraft models, if its even possible.

Guest_CAW_CEO_*

Guest_CAW_CEO_*
  • Guests
Miller, I'd gladly help with the devolpment of this. I'd be interested in cities and aircraft at first, but could do more complex things.

Guest_saralk_*

Guest_saralk_*
  • Guests
Id love to help, i can code in php and mysql, ive been coding for about 3 years now.

davidt

davidt

• 97 posts
Ah, didn't see this.

I'd be happy to help - I've been coding in php for almost 4 years but only complexish htings for the past 2.5 to 3 years.

I'm pretty good with mysql, php and data management and have done quite a few projects over the years - the most recent being a forum, my own version of great circle mapper and a whole school report authoring system allowing teachers to write school reports from home and admins to manage the database as well as batch export the reports to Word documents.

Lol I don't think that'd be needed for AE but might as well include the info.

I'm also having a go at writing my own php airline game just for fun and it's coming along pretty well.

I know evero's already offered but I'd also love to have a crack at the stock market :D

TorqueWrench

TorqueWrench

AE Luver

• Veteran
  • 446 posts
Check your U2U...

;)

Guest_Nathaniel_*

Guest_Nathaniel_*
  • Guests

Originally posted by TorqueWrench
Check your U2U...

;)

this topic was about a year ago.....

a

a

• 484 posts
  • WLM ID:ross_mcintosh1@hotmail.com
Better late than never lol.

TorqueWrench

TorqueWrench

AE Luver

• Veteran
  • 446 posts

Originally posted by Nathaniel

Originally posted by TorqueWrench
Check your U2U...

;)

this topic was about a year ago.....

Thanks for the comment...

but i've only recently found this website... What? because miller asked this question 12 months ago makes it less valid?

I see alot of people making requests for features and they get the same answer... "It is planned but miller has a lot of work".

Which is perfectly true... miller does have a killer work load. I cant even begin to imagine the complexity of the back end scripts that he has running. Or the size of the database.

I'm just offering to lift some of this work load...

Maybe i shouldn't have bothered because as you so plainly put it "This topic was over a year ago...."

;)

Guest_Nathaniel_*

Guest_Nathaniel_*
  • Guests
just saying nothing happened out of it so...

StephenM

StephenM

• 987 posts
  • WLM ID:srkm@eircom.net
And 2 people on this thread have their own airline sims.

piercey

piercey

I heart Embraer!

• 1,375 posts
  • Yahoo ID:pierceyohio@sbcglobal.net
mainly the won who recently posted.

not to mention the one above, so that's three ;)

Guest_Nathaniel_*

Guest_Nathaniel_*
  • Guests
not giving out any names.. but after a public bashing this person decided to not advertise his in AE anymore unlike someone else ;)

StephenM

StephenM

• 987 posts
  • WLM ID:srkm@eircom.net
I'm getting confused here ;)

Guest_Nathaniel_*

Guest_Nathaniel_*
  • Guests
;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users