Photo

Flag Carriers

* * - - - 1 votes

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

w007dchuck

w007dchuck

I am a woodchuck with a license to kill.

• 41 posts
Perhaps there could be a system where the largest airline in a country could get financial aid (interest free loans etc) from "the government" of that country. This would, at least in my opinion, convince people to start in smaller countries, and not always in large countries. For example, if I was the largest airline in Namibia, and I ran into some financial hard times, I could get a bailout. I do think that you would only be able to use it below a certain point, like 10 million in cash on hand. Then, it couldn't be abused by big airlines, and would be there for the litlle ones, Just my 2 cents.

Nexus8

Nexus8

Football Wingback

• 2,389 posts

User's Awards

Largest airline? XD No way they already have so much money. Maybe if you were the sole airline in a country then Yes, but you would have to meet certain Quality requirements. :P

Signature%203.png

w007dchuck

w007dchuck

• 41 posts

Largest airline? XD No way they already have so much money. Maybe if you were the sole airline in a country then Yes, but you would have to meet certain Quality requirements. :P

For small countries only. Probably, ones that only have one airline.

Mobeer

Mobeer

AE Luver

• 325 posts

User's Awards

8       2    2   

Don't we have something similar already - airlines can be in huge debt but won't go completely out of business (unless they default on bonds). Anyway, how often does a small airline get in trouble when it has no same-nation competitors? My Cambodian airline could repay the national debt 9 times over using cash.

I do definitely think there should be some sort of Flag Carrier status, but not involving financial aid. Maybe allow the largest airline in a country to become a flag carrier and have a slightly larger than normal country icon on the Rankings page. But then maybe charge an extra 2% on wages for that airline to represent bureaucracy?

M.F. Ensembleson

M.F. Ensembleson

N717YX

• 1,101 posts

Having a flagship status isn't fair.  Because the giant mega-airlines would automatically get it.  That means the same airlines being run by the same people will ALWAYS have the status.  You can figure out which airlines/people would 'earn' this by looking at the awards they've won.  So, you can see that if somebody always does REALLY well, guess who's always going to operate 1+ flagship carriers?

"We do what we must, because we can."

Ensemble%20Holdings.png

Reintroducing Ensemble Holdings, commencing operations Summer 2014.

w007dchuck

w007dchuck

• 41 posts

Having a flagship status isn't fair. Because the giant mega-airlines would automatically get it. That means the same airlines being run by the same people will ALWAYS have the status. You can figure out which airlines/people would 'earn' this by looking at the awards they've won. So, you can see that if somebody always does REALLY well, guess who's always going to operate 1+ flagship carriers?

Well, there's 196 countries in the world, and in my opinion, it would encourage people to start in other countries, would it not? The average world has 300 players. A lot of people could get it.

Andy-J

Andy-J

probably been on here too many years now....oh well

• 158 posts

User's Awards

Well, there's 196 countries in the world, and in my opinion, it would encourage people to start in other countries, would it not? The average world has 300 players. A lot of people could get it.

Agreed, it seems like 1/2 of them are failing because they don't want to explore out. I mean really, what % are in either the US, EU, Australia, or China?
-------Andy-J

Nexus8

Nexus8

Football Wingback

• 2,389 posts

User's Awards

Agreed, it seems like 1/2 of them are failing because they don't want to explore out. I mean really, what % are in either the US, EU, Australia, or China?

Australia EU and China? XD

More like 1/3 US about 1/4 UK and then rest of EU 1/4 then everything else.

Signature%203.png

SIALimited

SIALimited

Pato Seal of Approval

• 38 posts

I love this idea but definitely on it being quality based as in what Nexus said, if you're going to represent a country - I definitely say quality based.

Your IFE and IFS should be at an acceptable level, no scam IFE/IFS.
Your salary has to meet the minimum standard of said country - no $7 pilots.
A small percentage of your profits will end up going to said govt?

The rewards of being a flag carrier of a country is on the table to be decided,

I suppose a percentage decrease in maintenance costs, gate leasing, catering costs, fuel costs - just enough to offset what you have to spend on and then some.

You could even throw in a minor increase in demand from passengers flying out of your flag country.

Guaranteed single gate leasing etc?

Definitely something I would love to see that would reduce the amount of spam and scam around.

Northern

Northern

Data Collector

• Data Collector
  • 1,623 posts

User's Awards

2    2    4   
Not too sure as flag carriers in smaller countries don't always get funds from their government :P

banner_signature_northern.png

ar157

ar157

Resident Australian Arnimal

• 1,476 posts

User's Awards

from my experience in a normal R world....~8% in the US, uhhh like 20% in the EU (ok that number was plucked from thin air), ~2% in Australia and ~5% in China.

Uruk

Uruk

AE Player

• 88 posts

User's Awards

The Flag carrier can simply be the first/oldest airline in each country and perhaps get a prestige/reputation boost on lines out of that country

Northern

Northern

Data Collector

• Data Collector
  • 1,623 posts

User's Awards

2    2    4   

The Flag carrier can simply be the first/oldest airline in each country and perhaps get a prestige/reputation boost on lines out of that country

No, it's not right to give unfair advantages on AE

banner_signature_northern.png

Uruk

Uruk

AE Player

• 88 posts

User's Awards

No, it's not right to give unfair advantages on AE

It would encourage players to start all over the world rather than huddling along the "gold" routes

Stevphfeniey

Stevphfeniey

Bad m*****f*****

• 4,249 posts

There are several cases in which the flag carrier of a nation isn't the first airline founded there...

please don't kill us we're just the aquabats

The Best Discord Server

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users