Photo

Need Advice for What Planes to Buy

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

Ethan918

Ethan918

• 9 posts

Hello, I am playing in the R0 world and was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on what planes to buy. I currently am leasing a Douglas DC-7 with another one about to arrive on June 3 1955 in game. I also own one Antonov An-2.

Is the Ilyushin Il-14M/Il-14P worth buying? I used them once in another world but I got bankrupted by it due to high fuel costs. Also, is it worth getting the Tupolev Tu-144D when it comes out in 1979?

Thanks in advance!

p.s. I currently have $7,317,399.

KJS607

KJS607

The O.G. Savage

• 3,860 posts

User's Awards

6       3   

Please, do not buy the TU-144! It will bankrupt you in no time :P

msg-1341-0-50048700-1680446869_thumb.png

I did a thing: thetravelsavage.com

Stevphfeniey

Stevphfeniey

Bad m*****f*****

• 4,249 posts

Personally I say if you're going to use the name and branding of an actual airline, you follow the fleet of that airline as closely as possible :whistling:

please don't kill us we're just the aquabats

The Best Discord Server

sputnik23

sputnik23

back

• 298 posts

Don't, lease aircraft in the DC-7's family. (As in like lease a DC-7 again or a DC-8 but not a Tupolev.)

asdf gh jkl;

Stevphfeniey

Stevphfeniey

Bad m*****f*****

• 4,249 posts

Seeing that you operate Iran Air, here's the airline's basic fleet from about 1950 onward:

1950s: Basically DC-7s and Vickers Viscounts

1960s: 707s, 727s, 737s

1970s: Some 747s

1979-onward: Basically nothing thanks to the US embargo after the Iranian Revolution

Again, I encourage you to look more into Iran Air's history, it's actually quite fascinating

The Best Discord Server

Ethan918

Ethan918

• 9 posts

So basically don't get the Tu-144 and get stuff in the same family as the DC-7. Also, I was not going to get the 747 because I heard someone say that it had high fuel consumption, but nvd. And isn't Iran Air getting some Tupolevs of some kind or another (can't remember which one just right now)? Anyhow, thanks for the advice (not sarcastic in case anyone is thinking that)!

Keelung

Keelung

Founder of Air Formosa

• 138 posts

User's Awards

Don't start buying anything this early, keep leasing and also do not operate less than five of an single aircraft type because the cost is too high. Getting the 747s should be a priority in growing international traffic. They have the legs to do long haul which opens you up to bigger markets. The B737-200 Advs are also nice efficient planes, don't have the 200s or 300s, always get the 200advs. When you move into the 80s, make sure you order the B757s and B767s, these crafts allows you to fly into destinations 3000nm+ with lower demand. Get the A320 series in the 90s, forget the MDs and DCs unless you are desperate of growth. Be sure that when you lease planes, max out the leasing term to 10 years, this lowers the monthly lease quite significantly although it does not impact your profit much, but numbers do add up. Make sure to extend your lease terms when the prices can be lowered and never ever terminate a contract, just buy and sell the planes.

Air Formosa - Aero
Air Formosa lite logo
Aero

Mobeer

Mobeer

AE Luver

• 325 posts

User's Awards

8       2    2   

Don't buy anything to start with. Instead concentrate on leasing a few planes of the same type. DC7 is a good option, but get up to a fleet of 5-6 or so at least, so that maintenance costs are shared across the one type.

Maybe sell the AN-2 to get money to lose more DC7.

The other planes you mention are ok except for the Tu-144, but again try to expand into other types when you can afford to lease 2-3 rather than just one.

Stevphfeniey

Stevphfeniey

Bad m*****f*****

• 4,249 posts

Again, I'd like to point out that it is of my opinion that if you're going to use the name and branding of a real life airline, you'd better try and match that airline as close as possible :whistling: 

And yes, Iran Air does have some kind of deal for something like 20 Tupolev Tu-204s, but with the latest set of sanctions I'm not sure about that.

The Best Discord Server

Keelung

Keelung

Founder of Air Formosa

• 138 posts

User's Awards

I think we should have embargoes in the realistic world. Soviet airlines pre-90s can't buy Western aircraft, the West can't buy Soviets, North Korean, Iran, basically all airlines which origin from countries with historical or present embargoes should only be allowed to buy aircraft from manufacturers from countries without sanctions against their countries.

Air Formosa - Aero
Air Formosa lite logo
Aero

mxax-ai

mxax-ai

OMGZ I LUUUUV AE!!!

• 585 posts

User's Awards

3    3      
But what do you do with licensed aircraft like the MD-90 trunkliner program or russian aircraft produced in Iran?
Anyway, get more DC-7s, then lease/buy, depending on your financial status, 727s and 707s for longer haul. Add some 737s (as sai,d the -200adv is great due to it's idiotically low fuel flow, but the other jurassic versions aren't that bad either) to replace the DCs and expand on smaller routes. Later get the 747 classic, they'll open you new markets and offer quite a lot capacity and especially the SP might be of interest to you. It's range makes it possible for you to fly to the US/south america. Get the A300 too to get a very efficient aircraft for high demand short to medium haul.
But for now stay with An-2 & DC-7, especially to keep maintenance costs low.

767holic

767holic

AE Know It All

• 225 posts

User's Awards

3    4         

For me the R0 Aircraft...

1950's : Combine the DC-6,DC-7,and Viscount 810. In 1957,Bristol Britannia could be delivered and that's a must have! Remember in 1960's there's a CL-44 Yukon,so you shouldn't order Britannia too much,because could make the CL-44 delivery more longer. Fokker 27 could be considered(still reliable until 1990's!).

1960's : CL-44 Yukon is a best choice of all and a must have. Another one that could support CL-44 is IL-18D and Tu-114. YS-11 is one of the best choice of 50-70 seater aircraft beside the F27. If you want to use Jets,707-320C and 727-200 is good.

1970's : 737-200adv is the best! Beside that in 1970's the 747 are available! Sometimes in a trunk routes,i would like to use this :D

php1m2U0R.jpeg

I meant,a 747-100 used on domestic routes as 747SR :D

"Managing a real world airline is not as easy as you play Airline Empires. Real world airline are more and much more complicated"

Ethan918

Ethan918

• 9 posts

Ended up selling the An-2 (turns out it was causing me to lose money). I've now got enough money to lease quite a few more DC-7s, DC-6s and Viscount 700Ds. Thanks for the advice!

Nexus8

Nexus8

Football Wingback

• 2,389 posts

User's Awards

Starliners and Dc-7s

Signature%203.png

Twisa Airlines

Twisa Airlines

AE Addict To-Be

• 15 posts

Never buy a concorde! I have had very very bad experience leasing that aircraft!!  :disgusted:  :S  :/

Keelung

Keelung

Founder of Air Formosa

• 138 posts

User's Awards

Concorde is just for the prestige, never get it unless you have >$100 million DOP.

Air Formosa - Aero
Air Formosa lite logo
Aero

Northern

Northern

Data Collector

• Data Collector
  • 1,623 posts

User's Awards

2    2    4   
I old most defiantly agree with Keelung on one

banner_signature_northern.png

FuturePilot35

FuturePilot35

AE Player

• 34 posts

It really depends on what routes you want to take, however, it is best to keep to minimal families of aircraft. For long haul you might want to use bigger aircraft such as the 747 and vice versa for short haul.

2ndAcr

2ndAcr

AE Know It All

• 246 posts

User's Awards

7    2      

Trident 3B all the way...........makes money hand over fist and fast. But avoid any route under 1000 miles for max profit potential and hold value for a long time. 200adv for under 1000 miles. DH7 for any route 300 miles and under, not much can match it's fuel flow. Lease the DH7 not buy, depreciation is rough at 20% IIRC. Also Tu114 is a great early long haul that will destroy any jet user on a route if faced with a price war, but watch the runway as it take a long one.

CL44 are super money makers. 200adv is good bird. Late game, CS300 is the greatest of all for out to 1600 miles.

747 is one of the best overall, not much can match it until the A340 series comes online. And even then it will give them a run for their money. Not much can beat a 747-8i late game though there are a few that come really close.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users