Photo

What's the point?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

24kGEM

24kGEM

AE Addict To-Be

• 18 posts
Can someone explain to me what I'm missing...I don't get what the point of the game is. After the first few years of a world most flights are full of competition and the only thing left to do is check your routes every day to see if someone is beating your price. You adjust your price only to have your price beaten the next day. With so many flights, and a slow server most of the time, it takes way too much time to adjust all the prices that are being beat.
So, even with the most efficient planes, I drop my price to a level that can't be beat and still make a profit so I don't have to check the prices...only to see someone has beaten my price and is certainly operating that route at a loss.
So, what's the point? I can get my airlines in the top 10 or 20, but don't care to consume so much of my time with a game (one that's not even close to realistic and one whose IFS system is wacky, to say the least) just adjusting prices all day.
Is the point just to adjust and re-adjust prices for the last 30-35 years of a world? And to find what few routes you can still make a profit on?
I'm a rather new player and losing interest fast and would love some insight as to how I can make the most of the game.

Thanks for any responses!

pumpkinoops

pumpkinoops

• 2 posts

User's Awards

4    3    2   
I play this game for the pure and simple of enjoyment. I adjust things once or twice a day. (and I do have one airline with 350 airplanes)... I don't sit here for hours. The bigger question you need to ask is the guys that buy 10,000 airplanes, let the leases expire, build terminals and just want to sit in the top 10. I don't get that at all.

pseudoswede

pseudoswede

Play to win.

• 402 posts

User's Awards

3    4      

And to find what few routes you can still make a profit on?

From where your airline is based (the first one, not the express one), there are at least 1000 profitable routes.

24kGEM

24kGEM

AE Addict To-Be

• 18 posts

From where your airline is based (the first one, not the express one), there are at least 1000 profitable routes.

I don't know where you look to find 1000+ profitable routes...but knowing that might make the game a bit more fun! Just using the Search Airports function in the game is way too time consuming.
I'm sure there are a lot more than 1000 profitable routes...I'm based in the USA! I just don't have time to search for routes when I have soo many routes to adjust prices on. Nor do I have time to book a bunch of $5,000 routes. My point is - at this point, the game is more tedious than fun!
I'm too am trying to play the game for fun, but when someone jumps on a route from the US to Europe and drops the prices to $200...I don't see the point! It's neither realistic or fun. Yes, I can still make a profit at that price...but what's the point? 1. I doubt any airline in real life could make a profit at that price, and 2. How is it fun to make $5,000 on a flight that should be making 10x that (or more)?

mxax-ai

mxax-ai

OMGZ I LUUUUV AE!!!

• 585 posts

User's Awards

3    3      
You don't have to adjust prices on all routes to stay profitable. :P I usually just open routes and replace older aircraft and only occassionally check routes. The problem with the dumping prices is well known. Apparantly it is fun for some to ruin routes for others and make a loss. I can understand that if it's a route someone personally likes, but it is not happily seen when airlines put excess capacity and/or idiotically low prices on routes. The higher you want your airline to be ranked, the more time you have to spend on it. If you don't want to push your airline in the top ten every time, you can put in some realistic configs or IFS and make the game harder for you. And yes, the last 10 years often get boring as many routes are taken by then, so you don't have much to do. There is a reason why older worlds are somewhere near half-empty. :P And to search routes, use the search airports thing and just go down until the routes are to small for your aircraft. If there already is competition on the route, don't worry, you will still turn a profit in 99% of all cases.

24kGEM

24kGEM

AE Addict To-Be

• 18 posts
I only check the routes that are losing or near losing money, or under 30% Y capacity! Once I get all the <30% capacity increased, I'll spend a little time on the flights that are 30%-80% capacity (but that doesn't happen very often).
I just don't get how people have fun with this game! It's fairly easy to get into the top 10-20 in a world, so it's not even fun having that as an objective. I even jumped into a world that was nearing the end to see how hard the game gets toward the end. I'm 25th in that world and I don't even check it very often (95% of my routes don't even have any competition) and I'm operating at near 30% profit.
I tried one world operating out of Kosovo. That wasn't even fun with only 1 airport to fly out of and just around 20 passengers per flight no matter where I flew. Needless to say, I didn't have much competition, but that wasn't even fun trying to make it work.
I've tried figuring out different strategies, but with the mass price dumping I just can't figure out a strategy that would be fun.

I guess a better question than "what's the point" would be...what strategies do people use to make the game fun?

Will101

Will101

Only Teardrops

• 1,683 posts

I guess a better question than "what's the point" would be...what strategies do people use to make the game fun?

Playing the game without complaining is a personal favorite. Trying to imitate real airlines and operating from smaller airports/different countries I also find fun.

Royen

Royen

CEO Of Royen Airlines

• 1,566 posts
Maybe base elsewhere? :P

we%20are%20vertice%202.png?dl=0

Sig.png

#gogolden2015 

Unky

Unky

Tinworkx, Redesigning Entertaining.

• 210 posts
Quite simply this game is for people who like the idea of running their own airline, many of them aspire to run their own real airline someday. Many(most) of our older more experienced members find it fun to try and make an airline as realistic as possible. Other members find it "fun" try and make their airline as large as possible, or sell tickets as cheap as possible (the people you are having trouble with). You however stated you don't find this game fun at the moment.

You didn't like creating a large airline and lowering the prices, so I would advise you to jump deeper AE community. Join chat once in awhile, and get to know people. Then join an alliance, and try and create a realistic airline. You may find creating a realistic airline much more pleasing than flooding routes, and "dumping" prices.

If you would like to learn more about creating a realistic airline, you can contact me and I can set you up with some of the most knowledgeable members on AE. With the advice of that member you can create a top notch airline that would help you get into a great alliance!

-Peter

Posted Image

pseudoswede

pseudoswede

Play to win.

• 402 posts

User's Awards

3    4      

I don't know where you look to find 1000+ profitable routes...but knowing that might make the game a bit more fun! Just using the Search Airports function in the game is way too time consuming.
I'm sure there are a lot more than 1000 profitable routes...I'm based in the USA! I just don't have time to search for routes when I have soo many routes to adjust prices on. Nor do I have time to book a bunch of $5,000 routes. My point is - at this point, the game is more tedious than fun!

I was looking at your R1 airlines. From ATL, it's more like 2500 profitable routes.

Looking at your route network, you're basically choosing the same routes 99% of the players on the game would choose if they were based at ATL. If you don't want to be constantly adjusting fares, you have to think out of the box.

24kGEM

24kGEM

AE Addict To-Be

• 18 posts

I was looking at your R1 airlines. From ATL, it's more like 2500 profitable routes.

How do you find that number?

X-Wing @Aliciousness

X-Wing @Aliciousness

I think you'll like them!

• 1,760 posts
This is why I play the game not to make the most profit, but to make the best airline that still makes a profit. This keeps the game challenging and interesting, in my opinion :P

UbxSbIt.png

pseudoswede

pseudoswede

Play to win.

• 402 posts

User's Awards

3    4      

How do you find that number?

Just playing the game.

24kGEM

24kGEM

AE Addict To-Be

• 18 posts

Just playing the game.

If you can't support your claims, then they're useless! Thanks.

ar157

ar157

Resident Australian Arnimal

• 1,476 posts

User's Awards

well you've picked ATL i.e. one of the busiest airports in the world. Easy at the beginning thanks to a shiitton of routes with plenty of demand. But think from another player's perspective, XXX-ATL lots of demand. Open. If you're going to base in such a busy like ATL, you'd either go absolutely bananas and created a route map full of yellow lines, or you try make a "realistic" airline, with realistic configs, ifs, ife. This would get your profit margins anywhere from -5% up to 3 or 4%. This keeps the game nice and challenging. If you're running a "realistic" airline, don't make it too big because you may end up going into the red because you simply can't be bothered checking routes and adjusting prices.

For me, if i'm looking for something fun to do, i like to run small airlines with maybe a fleet of 10 or so aircraft in a very niche market. It's a good challenge. Remember, there's so many different airports in ae. The large majority of your airlines are based in either USA or Europe. That's not to say USA or Europe can't be fun, but try something different, like Kenya, French Polynesia etc etc.

pseudoswede

pseudoswede

Play to win.

• 402 posts

User's Awards

3    4      

If you can't support your claims, then they're useless! Thanks.

If you don't believe me, that's fine.

24kGEM

24kGEM

AE Addict To-Be

• 18 posts

If you don't believe me, that's fine.

It doesn't matter if I believe you or not! If you can't support what you say, it's just not worth sharing!

pseudoswede

pseudoswede

Play to win.

• 402 posts

User's Awards

3    4      

It doesn't matter if I believe you or not! If you can't support what you say, it's just not worth sharing!

PDV is the 2003rd-busiest airport in the game.

($45k DOP * 24) - $1,230 gate rental fee = $1,089,906 profit per month (approximately, of course)

Attached Files

24kGEM

24kGEM

AE Addict To-Be

• 18 posts

PDV is the 2003rd-busiest airport in the game.

($45k DOP * 24) - $1,230 gate rental fee = $1,089,906 profit per month (approximately, of course)

Thanks, I'll check that route!

Will101

Will101

Only Teardrops

• 1,683 posts

I don't know what you're trying to point out with that information! I can make that much from just about ANY airport...until there is competition on that route. Then, someone dumps the Y price to $200 to fly 5,000+ miles, and the route is only worth $84k per month minus the cost to send a plane, fuel and crew. Doesn't seem very profitable to me! But, then again, that's the whole point of me starting this thread!

That there are over 2000 profitable routes from ATL! You obviously just have a problem with competition, just deal with, lower your prices scamIFS etc. By posting about it competition know you are struggling and so they can finish you off, now back off the game

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users