• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

Zmapper

Zmapper

1500-some days left...

• 437 posts

Round 1: Oahu Island

Posted Image

Aloha, and welcome to Hawaii, comrade! Your new job is to plan transit for the Island of Oahu, the home of nearly a million people. We have hired you from the mainland to help alleviate our terrible traffic problems. Tourists heading for the beaches, residents heading to work, people going shopping, people going out to eat - it is getting maddening! There is too much traffic; it now takes me a full two hours to cross the entire freaking island!

Enough of my little rant there, lets get down to business. Oahu is home to a million people as I stated before, and keeps growing. "The Gathering Place", as the locals call it, is 44 miles wide and 30 miles across, with a shoreline length of 227 miles. You probably know about Pearl Harbor and the December 7, 1941 bombing, so we can skip that part. Well, if I am copying the Wikipedia article I might as well just link to it:

But before you go planning your bus routes just everywhere, we have a little system set up. You will be working alongside other planners, and each of you are expected to coordinate your activities. Oahu is a big island with a lot of people, so I find that dividing up your service areas will make the case load on you much easier. You would agree too, or else you will be on the next flight back to the mainland. The map is here. If you are new to the game or haven't played at least two rounds, please select either area 1, 2, or 6. Downtown is reserved for my pick as to who the best planner is. These are not hard boundaries, and I fully encourage you to extend your routes to logical terminus locations in neighboring regions. Read below to learn more about the areas.

(1) North Island: AirbusGuy340 Has Chosen This Location Easy, few people which makes planning service a breeze.

(2) East Island: lake has Chosen This Location Fairly easy, this section incorporates a decent sized urban area.

(3) Southeast Island: lshlarson has Chosen This Location This section will be somewhat difficult, as the traffic volumes are a bit more challenging. Overall, this area is great for someone who wants to step up to a more urban area.

(4) Downtown: Tintinfan and I have Chosen This Location This section is reserved for my pick. Whoever ends up with Downtown has the fun of planning for lots and lots of buses.

(5) Pearl Harbor/Airport: Reserved for QK Filled with an airport and a military base (obviously :P ) This section has similar characteristics to Southeast Island.

(6) Middle Island: jackjfh1 Has Chosen This Location Easy, with some urban areas.

(7) West Island: Ross<3 Has Chosen This Location Moderate, because the planner here must account for unfinished roads and neighborhoods. If I had a link to the development plan I would show it, otherwise the planner here must consult with me.

As the year is 2015, the planners must coordinate their services with the newly opened Honolulu Rail Transit line. A Google map of the line is here.

The task you have now is to choose your section. Later, I will go over the fine details of how this would work. Aloha for now, friends! :wave:

EDIT: Added the preferred sections of Ross<3 and AirbusGuy340.

There goes CRAZY uncle Ron, BABBLING about the unsustainablity of multiple WARS. -Jon Stewart
Posted Image

Angus

Angus

• 454 posts

User's Awards

I'll take the north :)

lake

lake

OMGZ I LUUUUV AE!!!

• 717 posts
I'll take the East. Never done it before, but I'll give it a try.

Signature.png

To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift.

Steve Prefontaine

lshlarson

lshlarson

#1 Railfan

• 928 posts
I'll have Southeast.
Posted Image

Zmapper

Zmapper

1500-some days left...

• 437 posts
I have updated the selections. As of now, Pearl Harbor and Middle Island are the only sections remaining.

There goes CRAZY uncle Ron, BABBLING about the unsustainablity of multiple WARS. -Jon Stewart
Posted Image

Guest_jackjfh1_*

Guest_jackjfh1_*
  • Guests
I'll have middle

Zmapper

Zmapper

1500-some days left...

• 437 posts
The final location remaining is Pearl Harbor. QK, are you interested?

Posted Image

Zmapper

Zmapper

1500-some days left...

• 437 posts
Sorry, all slots have been filled up. I took the liberty of reserving the remaining spot for QK because I know he would kill me if I didn't. :P

If you would still like a slot, wait until I start up a new round or someone leaves from their current slot. You must be post here at least once within the next day or two if you would still like your slot. If you do not post, then I will hold your slot in reserve, but if someone is requesting a slot then I will give it to them. The purpose of this rule is to balance demand in the starting phases of the game.

Posted Image

Ioh

Ioh

Baaauussss

• 1,649 posts
I was really looking forward to this :cry: I'll take the next available slot please :)

ADWAM.png

n.x.w.m

n.x.w.m

taiwanball

• Data Collector
  • 2,061 posts
I'll take the next available slot after B-Master. Wasn't there an earlier notice? XD :cry:

cUDPatH.jpg

QK Flight Industries

QK Flight Industries

a Wandering Guide to AE and Beyond

• 2,135 posts
Looks like Ensemble and I will be focusing on Pearl Harbor/HNL region then. :P

Darn, I already had a nice H2 service running. XD

So, are we all working on one GMap or what? :)

16590230781_7cc5cf6013.jpg

Sig.png

AXUbLwK.png

It's really me, now. #backtoAE

Zmapper

Zmapper

1500-some days left...

• 437 posts
Remember, you must reply back if you would still like your spot by tomorrow at 12:00 noon, Mountain Standard Time.

Posted Image

lake

lake

OMGZ I LUUUUV AE!!!

• 717 posts
Yes. I will be taking my spot.

Signature.png

Steve Prefontaine

Guest_jackjfh1_*

Guest_jackjfh1_*
  • Guests
Yep. I will take mine too.

egwrhw3rhwrh

egwrhw3rhwrh

Boeing Master Race

• 318 posts

User's Awards

Darn. The sport I liekd was taken.

dmYeOVn.png

Kirkland

Kirkland

AE King

• 1,504 posts
I wanted to do the center of the Island. :cry:

nWcLJH0.png

Angus

Angus

• 454 posts

User's Awards

I will take my spot! :)

Zmapper

Zmapper

1500-some days left...

• 437 posts
There will be a quasi-mandatory meeting in the AE chat at roughly 11pm EDT Tonight in the chat. All are encouraged to attend.

Posted Image

lake

lake

OMGZ I LUUUUV AE!!!

• 717 posts
Hey Virtubussers!
Sadly, I can't make it tonight... Can you please PM me anything discussed tonight? Sorry about not being able to make it.

-Lake

Signature.png

Steve Prefontaine

Zmapper

Zmapper

1500-some days left...

• 437 posts
Virtubus meeting RIGHT NOW!

If there isn't a quorum within a few hours, then maybe we should have the meeting another night, with proper advance notice. :P

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users