Photo

The Journey of a Lifetime (Singapore Airlines' B747 retirement flights)

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

Kirkland

Kirkland

AE King

• 1,504 posts
MORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

nWcLJH0.png

Guest_jackjfh1_*

Guest_jackjfh1_*
  • Guests
Come on, more!

9M-TKS

9M-TKS

• 888 posts
The next morning...

Changi Airport - 05:54 GMT+8

Changi's crown jewel - Terminal 3. Architecture at its best.
Posted Image

To mark this special event, a whole row of check-in counters were dedicated to SQ747. At this hour there were absolutely no queues, and I received my boarding passes for both the outbound and inbound flights, eliminating the need to check-in in HKG.
Posted Image

Nothing to do landside, so I go straight to the lounge.
Posted Image

If there's one thing in Changi that disappoints, it has to be SQ's very own flagship lounges. They're not crappy by any means, but there's just nothing special about it. Sure, it's modern and all but there's nothing that makes it stand out from the rest. For instance, Thai Airways has a Spa and massage centre for both Business and First Class passengers, but SQ doesn't even have a single massage chair. Complaints aside, I left the lounge after half an hour and proceeded to gate B7, where the fun awaited me.

At this hour it's mostly Asian departures which occupy the FIDS.
Posted Image

...in English:
Posted Image

Flight SQ747 has actually taken the place of the daily 0830 SQ860 to HKG, hence the "cancellation". In case you're wondering, it's operated by an A330 (Yuck). Passengers who failed to secure seats for SQ747 had no choice but to board SQ890 which leaves an hour earlier, and catch SQ748 back.

Posted Image

I could feel my heart racing as I approached B7.
Posted Image

Security was a breeze, and moments later, the Queen of the Skies came into sight!
Posted Image

Posted Image

First to fly - Airbus A350, B787-9 in AE8

9M-TKS

9M-TKS

• 888 posts
Breakfast was served, and waiters came around every couple of minutes ensuring that everyone had a drink in their hands.
Posted Image

Posted Image

There were so many people with cameras surrounding them that it made even Business passengers feel unimportant. Vice President, Marketing Department Director, Chief Spokesperson, First SIA B747 captain, Madame Tussauds Muesuem Stewardess.... The list was endless.

First up, a speech by the Vice President of the SIA Group. Sorry for the disappointing pictures that follow.
Posted Image

Followed by the entertaining cabin crew all dressed up as they dance to the hits of the 70's, 80's and 90's, which depicts the 747's journey through the decades.
Posted Image

"I'm glad you came" by The Wanted was played as the VP sounded the gong, marking the start of the boarding process. What a fitting song, I thought.
Posted Image
Posted Image

9M-TKS

9M-TKS

• 888 posts
Just before entering the aerobridges, flight attendants handed out goody bags to every passenger. As you can see below, yours truly received his few seconds of fame (appearing in the footage of the news coverage by the local news channel).
Posted Image

The four pilots were treated as celebrities, and attention was never far from them even after we landed back in Singapore later that day. Apparently, all four of them were captains, which left me wondering: Who's REALLY in charge?
Posted Image

Next, they carried out their mandatory preflight inspection, sincerely hoping everything was in perfect condition. No, the jumbo just couldn't afford to fail us. Certainly not on its final journey.
Posted Image

At door L1, I was warmly greeted and directed towards the stairs to the iconic Upper Deck where my seat, 18C awaited. As you can see, there were even reporters onboard the flight (Once again, I do apologise for this blurry picture. There were many other passengers behind so naturally the pressure was on me)
Posted Image

Once upstairs, I could immediately understand why this beloved Upper Deck was so popular with regular travelers. The exclusivity was simply amazing. A wide array of international and local newspapers were on offer, along with the special souvenirs such as playing cards, postcards etc.
Posted Image

I chose the only remaining Upper Deck seat although it wasn't a window seat. Just hoping for a seatmate who's kind enough to swap with me.
Posted Image

Finally, I had arrived at my seat. Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you: The SpaceBed. The design may be 10 years old, but it's still one of the best in the skies if you ask me. The gentle purple colour creates such a soothing atmosphere, and goes well with the colors of the cabin crew uniforms.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Guest_Vive La France CEO guy_*

Guest_Vive La France CEO guy_*
  • Guests
MORE!!!MORE!!!

Austranadian Group

Austranadian Group

Austranadian Group

• 137 posts

User's Awards