Photo

Porter's Livery and Design Center

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

Angus

Angus

• 454 posts

User's Awards

The logo on the RedJet tail... where do I know that from?

Yeah it does look familiar :huh:

Stevphfeniey

Stevphfeniey

Bad m*****f*****

• 4,249 posts
They're all very red :P

please don't kill us we're just the aquabats

The Best Discord Server

lvan

lvan

AE Addict

• 864 posts
I like your Nippon one....

porter

porter

AE Graphic Designer

• AE Moderator
  • 65 posts
  • Yahoo ID:porter66062
BritAbroad/AirbusGuy340: Look in the aviation sector for where I got the logo from....
davidotk: Yeah, so bad its great.
My name is Steve: Everyone requests red.... so.... :P
Everett777: Thanks. :)

porter

porter

AE Graphic Designer

• AE Moderator
  • 65 posts
Updated the opening post, and latest work...

Posted Image

TWA 787-8 for violetQueen

ar157

ar157

Resident Australian Arnimal

• 1,476 posts

User's Awards

more red :awesome:

Speed Bird

Speed Bird

AE Addict

• 866 posts

User's Awards

I Like how all of porters liveries are amazingly shiny, and to balance it out the WongaJet one goes in the middle :whistling:

Meant to be metallic isn't it?

M4matthew

M4matthew

M4Matthew

• 673 posts

Well, they look shinier then you'd get in reality if it was a really sunny day on rollout from the factory. :S

You clearly haven't seen the new VS livery then :facepalm:

Although it is an exception, rather than the norm.

Speed Bird

Speed Bird

AE Addict

• 866 posts

User's Awards

Porter, the engines of 787s are required to be painted white.

Sheepy

Sheepy

N/A

• 1,935 posts

User's Awards

Indeed.
I maintain they should just be painted one colour only...

Administrator of UnitedSkies alliance

and also a member of some other ones, but they're 2vip4u

X-Wing @Aliciousness

X-Wing @Aliciousness

I think you'll like them!

• 1,760 posts
"While it was originally true that the 787 must have white engines, it is turning out in practice that even dirt on the engine would be thicker than any imperfections in the paint. Therefore, the engines can be painted other colors than white. At this point in time though, the 787s engines must be a solid color, though this may again only be temporary until Boeing realize that it really makes almost no difference in practice."

Airliners.net says so :P

UbxSbIt.png

porter

porter

AE Graphic Designer

• AE Moderator
  • 65 posts
Yeah, pretty sure I don't care about what Boeing says on the engines. So.... not gonna change them when a colored engine looks much better aesthetically.

End of that discussion. :P

4Engines

4Engines

Australian Livery King

• 235 posts
Speedy, we've been through this - the engines can be painted in however many multiple colours the operator deems fit; however, the aircraft will take a fuel burn penalty doing so. This is because a minor overlap of two separate paints will disrupt the laminar airflow over the engines and hence affect performance. This is, essentially, the general consensus. Also, reply 25 on this thread provides a little more info on decals, dirt and why the 787 engines and their paint jobs differ from the norm.

westernpac.jpg

M4matthew

M4matthew

M4Matthew

• 673 posts

however, the aircraft will take a fuel burn penalty doing so.

Exactly, so Boeing can't let the airlines do it. Boeing has to meet efficiency targets on each aircraft they deliver (stated on the airline contract), if they paint the engine nacelles there is a chance they won't meet these efficiency targets and the airline won't accept the frame... even if it was the airline's idea to paint the nacelles.

Speed Bird

Speed Bird

AE Addict

• 866 posts

User's Awards

Whilst there is some debate over this (though my interpretation of the various sources remains unchanged), based on the belief that only one colour can be used, assuming the red colour on the Royen 788 is indeed a similar metallic to that used by VS, then this would not be possible on this aircraft. Whilst im not aware of the exact details of the painting process, I know as a matter of fact the process involves multiple layers of paint to achieve such a metallic effect.

4Engines

4Engines

Australian Livery King

• 235 posts

if they paint the engine nacelles there is a chance they won't meet these efficiency targets and the airline won't accept the frame... even if it was the airline's idea to paint the nacelles.

Well I think we can all agree that is ridiculous (the airline rejecting the aircraft). Boeing have made it pretty clear that multiple colours or decals will affect performance, it would hardly come as a shock to the airline.

Whilst there is some debate over this (though my interpretation of the various sources remains unchanged), based on the belief that only one colour can be used, assuming the red colour on the Royen 788 is indeed a similar metallic to that used by VS, then this would not be possible on this aircraft. Whilst im not aware of the exact details of the painting process, I know as a matter of fact the process involves multiple layers of paint to achieve such a metallic effect.

Once again, single colours aren't the issue.

When more than one colour is used, each layer/colour is applied piece be piece/section by section/colour by colour. Hence, when the second coat is applied, there is always a small overlap of colours with the previous layer (regardless of how accurate the painting process was). It is this imperfection (relative to the rest of the nacelle) that disrupts the flow of air across the engine, not the type of paint used, the number of coats required or the thickness (multiple colours = non-consistent surface, single metallic colour = consistent but thicker/heavier surface).

The added weight of metallic paint and the expense of maintaining it is a different story...

westernpac.jpg

M4matthew

M4matthew

M4Matthew

• 673 posts

Well I think we can all agree that is ridiculous (the airline rejecting the aircraft).

Sorry Porter for going so far off topic :/

4E4L, what do you think Cargolux did with the 747-8? Airlines certainly do reject aircraft if they don't match performance specifications.

4Engines

4Engines

Australian Livery King

• 235 posts
Sorry too porter :(

Sorry Porter for going so far off topic :/

4E4L, what do you think Cargolux did with the 747-8? Airlines certainly do reject aircraft if they don't match performance specifications.

The aircraft would not meet spec if the owner didn't follow the standard operating procedure of using a single engine colour. Like wise, if an airline were to constantly use full power on take off (against standard procedure), it probably wouldn't meet fuel consumption figures, or 'spec'. Nor would it if it flew above its recommended cruising speed or cruising altitude, or at a greater or lesser than recommended pitch.

The use of a single engine colour is part of the relatively blunt nacelle design used on the 787. If an airline chooses not to follow the protocol, in this situation, it has only itself to blame for any shortfalls in operational performance. As for the 748 comparison, apples to oranges. This problem restricts the owners ability to 'pretty-up' the engines. The 748 weighed more and consumed more fuel than expected, which impacted and it's maximum range and payload significantly.

westernpac.jpg

porter

porter

AE Graphic Designer

• AE Moderator
  • 65 posts
OK guys.... If you want to continue this discussion, either use your own threads, or start one somewhere else.

Like I already said a page ago, I like the color paint for aesthetic reasons. So, end of the discussion here.

Understood?

Alfrenzo

Alfrenzo

Probably retired

• 861 posts

User's Awards

2       6    3   
Is there anyway I can ask for a livery here, Porter? :huh:

Edit: I think I know now :D But I'll spare you from being troubled by me :)

Good luck! Hope to see something soon :D

noelair%20banner.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users