Photo

Virtubus Teaser

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

Zmapper

Zmapper

1500-some days left...

• 437 posts
I have decided to start Virtubus, though this spinoff will focus just on bus route planning. This will allow people to gain experience with planning bus routes, before having to deal with fleets, timetables, and that other stuff.

I will name a city somewhere in the world. If you wish to participate, you must draw out a bus system for the region. Tintin and I will then grade you and give advise on how your system can be improved.

All cities and regions, from small to large, may be picked. If you wish to suggest a city for the next round, please kindly do so. In order to select a city, you must have successfully played at least two rounds.

To start off easy, the first city will be: Appleton, Wisconsin, USA!

First settled in 1847 by fur traders, the city rapidly grew in the 19th and 20th centuries. The paper industry has played an important role in the development of Appleton, because of the ample woodland and water surrounding it. The city is currently home to 78,086 people, at an average density of 3,655 per square mile.

You will have until this weekend to develop you service concept. Happy planning! :D

-Zmapper

There goes CRAZY uncle Ron, BABBLING about the unsustainablity of multiple WARS. -Jon Stewart
Posted Image

n.x.w.m

n.x.w.m

taiwanball

• Data Collector
  • 2,061 posts
Do we just draw the map, like in Tutorial I, or do we develop and submit them on the Virtubus website?

cUDPatH.jpg

Zmapper

Zmapper

1500-some days left...

• 437 posts
You can just draw the map out in your favorite program or Google MyMaps, whatever is easiest for you. Remember to read Tutorial II on detailed routing information.

There goes CRAZY uncle Ron, BABBLING about the unsustainablity of multiple WARS. -Jon Stewart
Posted Image

Zmapper

Zmapper

1500-some days left...

• 437 posts
Here is my map of Appleton: http://gmapuploader....view/TD72azx6Qu

I can't wait to see what you came up with. Maybe Tintin and I will have a little surprise to the person who we think has the best map. ;) (Not counting ours, of course)

Posted Image

n.x.w.m

n.x.w.m

taiwanball

• Data Collector
  • 2,061 posts
Well, since I seem to be the only one....

http://g.co/maps/4tu42

Appleton Express is also considering a new bus route to Grand Rapids, WI and to New London, WI.

cUDPatH.jpg

QK Flight Industries

QK Flight Industries

a Wandering Guide to AE and Beyond

• 2,135 posts

Well, since I seem to be the only one....

http://g.co/maps/4tu42

Appleton Express is also considering a new bus route to Grand Rapids, WI and to New London, WI.

You chose a church parking lot for your base? :scratchhead: Not sure how that would work out IRL.

Anyway, here's my first try.
http://maps.google.c...db11882c9635d4d

And second try (still working on it): http://maps.google.c...e76f4d3e173a7b0

16590230781_7cc5cf6013.jpg

Sig.png

AXUbLwK.png

It's really me, now. #backtoAE

Zmapper

Zmapper

1500-some days left...

• 437 posts
Good work both of you. I will review your maps later, but one thing I could suggest is adding more bus routes.

Posted Image

n.x.w.m

n.x.w.m

taiwanball

• Data Collector
  • 2,061 posts

And second try (still working on it): http://maps.google.c...e76f4d3e173a7b0

Well you chose a medical building for your base... :P

cUDPatH.jpg

QK Flight Industries

QK Flight Industries

• 2,135 posts
No I didn't. I chose the airport and this: Fox Banquets & Rivertyme Catering

Sig.png

AXUbLwK.png

n.x.w.m

n.x.w.m

taiwanball

• Data Collector
  • 2,061 posts
Here's my more organized (not based at church parking lot :P ) version of Appleton Xpress. http://g.co/maps/p3hvp

cUDPatH.jpg

Zmapper

Zmapper

1500-some days left...

• 437 posts
Okay, time to review your maps. I will start with nxwm2001, because he is the first to respond.

Nxwm2001 First Attempt: Your map is rather good for a first attempt. I see that despite the limited routes, you focus on the main roads that have the most demand. While a depot isn't absolutely needed, your location for the depot was a great idea, and actually WisDOT proposed moving the location of the bus station to your site in order to better accommodate potential regional rail. (Before Governor notrain.com cancelled it. <_< )

There are two noticeable downsides. One, you don't serve much of the city despite having a near unlimited budget. While I understand you wanted to get a map in quickly, I don't mind too much if you are a little off on the deadline in order to make a better map. The other downside is that you didn't quite understand what I meant by a 20/40/60... drive time. Note to all, that shortcut requires you to map the route round trip, not one way. Overall, I would give your map a 6/10. Good Job!

Nxwm2001 Second attempt: While I like that you tried a different location for your depot, it would be best if the maps were merged somehow. Mostly, see the reply to your first attempt for my opinion. I would give this map a 6/10.

QK Flight Industries, First attempt: While it was interesting to see a base at the Airport, I doubt that much demand is generated there due to the limited activity. Small airports typically don't generate much in the way of demand, but an airport based model is appropriate for larger airports. One noticeable downside is the lack of bidirectional service on the main roads; your routes run on one road one way and another road coming back. The numbering scheme is interesting, though generally routes that share a common number (1A, 1B, 1F) travel on a single corridor and branch out at the end in different directions. Overall, I would give it a 6/10. Good work!

QK Flight Industries, Second Attempt: The map shows noticeable improvements, such as focusing your service on main corridors and orienting it towards the downtowns. However, your map doesn't service much of the city. Personally, if you post asking for extra time, I will wait. There is no need to rush in order to make an imaginary deadline. Overall, I would give your map a 6/10.

Because there is a tie and nxwm posted first, he may choose the next city. Happy planning! :)

Posted Image

QK Flight Industries

QK Flight Industries

• 2,135 posts

QK Flight Industries, Second Attempt: The map shows noticeable improvements, such as focusing your service on main corridors and orienting it towards the downtowns. However, your map doesn't service much of the city. Personally, if you post asking for extra time, I will wait. There is no need to rush in order to make an imaginary deadline. Overall, I would give your map a 6/10.

I am extraordinarily busy with multiple things right now. If you wish to continue, proceed. I'll admit, after GMaps crashed my browser, that sort of put up a brick wall for my participation. Personally, I'd say go on to the next city and I'll participate (esp. next week, which is Spring Break :awesome: :dance: )

Thanks for analyzing!

Edit: I should note that there are updates to the second map since you last reviewed it.

Edited by QK Flight Industries, 13 March 2012 - 02:52 AM.

Sig.png

AXUbLwK.png

Tintinfan

Tintinfan

AE's No.1 Trainfan!

• AE Moderator / Data Collector
  • 1,249 posts
Okay, time to review your maps. I will start with nxwm2001, because he is the first to respond.

Nxwm2001 (attempt 1):
Rating: 4/10
Review:

Well, It's a nice first attempt. The routes are limited, however the main bus station is rather in the middle of the town, I like that. I also quite like the idea of the routes that terminate at the Hostbital or Airport, this is good. Terminating at somwhere important or significant can be good. I don't like where Line 1 went onto the main road (Road 41? - I don't understand the US road numbering system!) for abit. I would suggest you keep off the mainroad and try to make more use of the smaller roads. Well done, for a first try.

Nxwm2001 (attempt 2):
Rating: 5/10
Review:

Bus station is abit out of town. Again, the use of mainroads (Road 41 and 441)...aloth i'll let you off on using road 441 cause its a bridge really and theres no other way across. I like the good use of airports, hostbitals and parks as bus terminuses. I would highly reccomend extending Line 2 over that river to Theda Clark Medical Center, allowing better connections. Line 5 would also be better if it went down to Hart Park to connect with Line 4!

QK Flight Industries (attempt 1):
Review:

What's with your numbering system? Nice route variety, but disgusted by how many times your using main roads! Basing at the airport is a nice idea, but sadly not having a 2nd base closer to the heart of the town is abit sad. Its not bad though for a first try.

QK Flight Industries (attempt 2):
Review:

Numbering system...! Bus Station B would be better off nearer the Hostbital, Bus Station A closer to that university, Bus Station C seems way out and has no purpose! Route variety is nice. Again, main roads!

__

I suppose you'll soon find I'm not easy to please...? :P

I suppose Nxwm2001 wins!

AE Moderator | Globe Alliance Admin | AE's No.1 Railway Enthusiast

675143919b.jpg

Zmapper

Zmapper

1500-some days left...

• 437 posts
Tintinfan, you forgot to review my map. ;)

Posted Image

Zmapper

Zmapper

1500-some days left...

• 437 posts
The city is Santa Cruz, California, USA. You can start now, but I will likely post more later.

Posted Image

PacificAirways

PacificAirways

Busy Bee

• 316 posts
Try Perth...we have a terrible bus system here :P

Pacific Airways - Head of Public Relations, Globe Alliance

Photo%202-11-2014%203%2000%2046%20am.png

QK Flight Industries

QK Flight Industries

• 2,135 posts

The city is Santa Cruz, California, USA. You can start now, but I will likely post more later.

I'll start work later. Maybe by Monday?

Sig.png

AXUbLwK.png

Zmapper

Zmapper

1500-some days left...

• 437 posts
Sure, I can hold the round for anyone who needs it. :)

Posted Image

n.x.w.m

n.x.w.m

taiwanball

• Data Collector
  • 2,061 posts
Please hold the round to start on Monday (and end on Sunday?).

cUDPatH.jpg

Zmapper

Zmapper

1500-some days left...

• 437 posts
Rounds start as soon as I post the map and end in plus or minus 7-10 days, or when everyone has a map in.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users